News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First post, and a few questions

Started by 6T8, April 07, 2010, 08:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6T8

I tried to create a post yesterday, but I never found out of it went through or not. Oh well.

First off, to everyone here, this site is amazing. I've been scoping it out for a while now and figured I should go ahead and join.

I have a '68 Charger that my Grandparents bought brand new and I got the title to when I graduated about 5 years ago. It's been sitting for roughly 10 years but I got it started and rolled it up and down the driveway a few times the other day. Backfires like a mofo and gets bogged down when you give 'er gas, but otherwise seems to be okay.

I'd love to restore it, but I'm 22 and the cash is just not in the cards right now. I know I need to do the basic tune-up stuff, plugs and oil change and all that. But my Grandpa keeps mentioning that there's a piece in the carb that wore out on all of these when the switch to unleaded gas happened. Like a needle or something? I'm pretty sure the whole carb just needs overhauled.

I'm not a mechanic, but I'm decent with my hands. (I'm a computer technician.) Is overhauling the carb something I could pull off it is that something better left to a professional? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
-Tommy
Bedford, IN

tan top

hello & welcome  :cheers:  , carb  overhaul is not difficult , just need to be carefull ,  befor you start yours if unsure could always buy the same from a wrecking yard cheep , to experiment on !!  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Welcome to the group!  Nice looking car and points for including a pic in the first post. :D :cheers:.

PocketThunder

Yes he done good, first post and pictures included.  :2thumbs:

Did anyone else catch that it was a Grandpa car and its green... oh the humanity!   :rofl:   :rofl: 

6T8 you can rebuild the carb yourself, just take your time and lay everything out on a large towel on a wide counter space as you go along.  Take pictures as you go if you think you might forget how something goes back together.

Good luck grasshopper.  :yesnod:

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparmoynihan

Hello, and welcome! If that thing has been sitting that long, I would say the gas tank has to be removed and cleaned out. Thats most likely the cause of the way its running. The tune up is a must, oil change, fuel filter, coolant. The carb rebuild is not that big of a deal. A 2 barrel is alot easier than a 4 barrel. However if you pay attention and watch how they come apart, either one will go together just as easy. Get your self a big can of carb cleaner so you can soak the body and all the hard parts when its all stipped down. You'll be fine. As far as leaded to unleaded gas, that would be the valve seats in the heads. For this you will have to do a major engine overhaul. I would not recommend this at this point. Get some seat time, enjoy this thing. Thats what there here for. Johnny  :METAL:
b7 1969 Charger 4 speed 440 4:10

Brock Samson

Hello!
  I don't know that a simply rebuild/soaking by an first timer would cut it,.. you don't say what the mileage is or if it's a 2 or 4 Bbl Carb. I agree the fuel tank and some other parts may very well have to be dealt with... flexable rubber stuff goes stiff and cracks after sitting many years without flexing and heat cycles. I had a few Carbs. on my 318 motors that simply wore out over the years. they may have worked after the first "rebuild" but some had to finally be replaced.
the four Barrell I first used on my 440 also beyond another simple rebuild it leaked and eventually did start a small fire.
Getting the maximum amount of info from your grand dad and finding a old school mechanic may save you a load of trouble down the road.
In any case welcome to the site, take your time and ask lots of questions, there are excellent mechanics here who love to help. Nice Charger!  :2thumbs:

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

6T8

The mileage...whew...just guessing I'd say it's well over 200k. My grandparents would drive it back and forth from here in Indiana to Georgia quite frequently, my aunt drove it in her teenager years, as well as my mother. It saw a lot of road time.

It's a 383 w/ a 4 bbl,  by the way. He said he had rebuilt the carb on it once or twice, but considering it's over 40 years old, it's hard telling when that might have been. I'd love to just try and find one at a junk yard, but they're scarce around here and if they did have one, I'm sure it would be pretty high.

And at this point it's all just assumption that the problem is the carb. What happens is I would hammer it and it churns pretty slow at first and after about 15-20 feet then it would finally catch up and take off pretty quick.

And I know there's supposed to be a mesh filter on the fuel inlet on the carb (mine is missing), but where's the other one? Is it just an in-line or is the one on the carb the only place?

Thanks for all the help!
-Tommy
Bedford, IN

kurgan383

that's cool... all original and you know everything that's ever happened to the car!  Do a lot of reading on this site.... these guys know a lot! BTW, I'm a computer tech too...

hemi68charger

Hello Tommy ( name on email on profile),
Welcome to the site. This is one of the best possible places you could have come to. The site has a lot of smart individuals. Congrad's on getting your Grandparents '68 Charger,,,, a one-family owner car.. I would get a service manual first of all for the car if your intentions are to keep it. I think Year One sells '68 Dodge passenger car service manuals (?). The carb overall isn't a big deal. Get some Gumout/Berryman's carb cleaner. What your eyes, that's some mean stuff. With it sitting so long, wouldn't surprise me the carb has a lot of garbage or tarnish in it. The gas tank might need some help too. Make sure you check all the fluids too.

Have fun with the car, don't get to involved in modifications here and there. If you're short on cash like all of us, especially at your age,just get it up and running and dependable.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Cooter

Welcome 6t8...You can find info on ANYTHING you want when dealing with restoring your Charger...Being a cheap bas*id myself, Maybe I help you find a cheap alternative in some areas....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TiMopar

What a cool car, and originally owned by your Grandparents... lucky guy!

41husk

Nice car, get it drivable and enjoy! Welcome to the site. :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

1BAD68

The carb sounds gunky and the accelerator pump isn't working right.
If it were me, I would run it till it was nice and hot going through all the gears but not hammering on it just up and down your driveway.
Then pull the carb, if its a Carter the entire top of it comes apart. Fill it up with Gumout like hemi68charger suggested and soak it for a day or two.
Meanwhile while still pretty warm, drain all the fluids including transmission, rear end, coolant and oil and inspect.
Change the oil and trans filter and dump the Gumout from carb and reassemble.
Check your belts, hoses, tires and lights and take it for a road test.
Then return here and post lots of pictures of interior, exterior and engine bay.
:2thumbs:

70 Charger RT

welcome to the site.  do you have more pictures?
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

6T8

Thanks for all of the advice guys, and thanks 1bad68 for a little more detailed outline. The accelerator pump I'm assuming is on the carburetor somewhere? I've looked around on the site and on the YearOne site for a diagram or exploded view of the carb, but I can't seem to come up with one. However, there was a link somewhere on here to a website that one of the members had with some wiring diagrams, and on that site was a carb but I'm not sure if it's the right one.

The car isn't at my house, it's still out at my Grandparents so as I go I'm trying to make a list and get myself figured out before I go out and try to do stuff to it.

I anticipate going out tomorrow to start doing some more to it. I'll try and take some more pictures and post up on here.  :icon_smile_big:
-Tommy
Bedford, IN

69_500

Welcome to the site. If all else fails there are plenty of members of the site here from the state of Indiana and I"m sure that there are at least a few of us who would be more than willing to help you out if the need be. There is probably at least 15-20 1968-1970 chargers within a 10 mile radius of my house here on the southwest side of indy. If you need anything feel free to ask.

herhemi

Welcome to the site!!  these guys are AWESOME!!!!  you will enjoy!!!

Khyron

welcome, and thanks, a new member with an old charger.... about time ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

E5 Charger

Welcome 6T8. Sounds like a great car to document. Take a lot of photos, so you will have a great reference to restore it one day. Ask your grandparents if they have changed anything, painted anything, etc. Enjoy it, I have a feeling it will be in the family for a long time.

69*F5*SE

Exactly! take lots of pics of everything the way it is now.  If you ever need the reference in the future you'll always have the pics.  Plus, you can post the pics here and please all of us picture hungry Charger lovers.  All in all, give that thing a bath and get it out into some light and let us see what you got.   :yesnod:  Ted

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

6T8

We went back out last night and played around some more. Changed the oil/filter and played with the timing some. Still having trouble with it backfiring alot. Maybe next time I fuel it up, put some lead substitute in it, will this help the valves from sticking?

My Grandpa had been playing around with it and came to the conclusion that what he called the "dash pot" or "dash pod" was causing the problem in the carburetor, and maybe the metering valves as well. Is this "dash pot" what 1bad68 referred to as the accelerator pump? And can that be purchased separately and installed without tearing down the carb? He's very hesitant to remove it from the motor for some reason at the moment.  :brickwall:

The carburetor on the car says D8 4401S. Is there somewhere online where I can get a free manual for this thing? Or an exploded view showing all the parts? I've looked around but no dice.

He also gave me a plate that came off of the firewall, according to him that has some numbers on it. I've included the picture. He said he pulled it off when he had the car repainted and that the color listed on it wasn't the color that came on the car. He said according to the dealership even thought it was a 1968 it supposedly came out with a 69 or 70 color on it. This was for Dodge to see what color people bought the most of? Thought I'd see if you guys had heard of such a thing.
-Tommy
Bedford, IN

PocketThunder

Looks like the original paint is Dark Green Metallic with a black vinly top, according to Jimshines 68 tag decoder.

http://www.jimshine.com/tag%20info/68tagdecode.htm

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Tilar

Something easy to check that could cause it to backfire is the old vacuum lines could be brittle and broke causing it to lose vacuum. If you check the rubber lines and they are split anywhere that might leak air, Try chainging them out one at a time before you start on the carb.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.