News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why did my coil burn up????

Started by RECHRGD, March 28, 2010, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

As I was pulling into a restaurant yesterday, I noticed a couple of quick hesitations like I have had once before when a coil was going bad.  It immediately smoothed out and I parked the car and went in to eat.  When I came out from eating I smelled that wonderful smell of burning electrical stuff.  I opened the hood and the coil was so hot that you couldn't touch it.  I noticed the ammeter was showing a load, but it was from my brake switch being stuck closed.  (I gotta fix that).  So how in the world was there power to the coil when the ignition key is off?  I had a spare coil in the trunk and was on my way in a few minutes with no more problems.  Something sure seems goofy though.  Anybody had this happen before?  Thanks Bob.
13.53 @ 105.32

FLG

What kind of voltage are you getting at the coil? How is your ballast resistor?

You should be getting nothing to the coil with the ignition off. hmm.

RECHRGD

Quote from: FLG on March 28, 2010, 02:15:48 PM
What kind of voltage are you getting at the coil? How is your ballast resistor?

You should be getting nothing to the coil with the ignition off. hmm.

I didn't have a meter with me.  All I know is that puppy was HOT!!!  The car is in a storage unit, so I'll have to play with it in a couple of days.  The dash wiring harness is only a few years old, along with the engine harness.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

Well I finally got to mess with it a little today and I couldn't find any voltage on the coil except when it should have been.  I guess the thing was so hot when I turned the engine off that it still was cooking when I came back to the car 25 minutes later.  I picked up another new coil to keep as a spare.  All is well.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Highbanked Hauler

possibly your ignition switch :shruggy:  If your brake switch was open your brake lights would have been on I think. If you smell burning electrical stuff I'd keep a real close watch on it. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

A383Wing

and disconnect the battery when you park it..last thing you need is burnt car when you come back