News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just got my AM radio back from Wards Classic Radio!!! Very Happy!

Started by resq302, March 26, 2010, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Figured I would share my results with everyone here.  I just got my radio back from having the AM radio repaired and having the MP3 player adapter installed.  All I can say is WOW! :icon_smile_big: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:  Super fast turn around time, the clear lens that was kinda hazed is now crystal clear (looks like it isnt even there its that clear), needle now works again, chrome is polished up super nice (they polish but do not rechrome so you have to send them a good core) and the MP3 player adapter is installed.  Price to fix the AM radio - $100, price to install the MP3 adapter - $79, having a factory appearing AM radio now that can play MP3 and FM stations through the MP3 player....... PRICELESS.  Here are some pics below.  The gray wire with the black box is the wiring for the MP3 adapter that is hooked up to the radio.  The black wire that is still tied up is the wire that plugs into the MP3 player and plugs into the black box with the gray wire that goes into the radio.  I am hopefully going to install it after work either tonight or tomorrow night and then try it out as soon as my new MP3 player with FM receiver arrives.  If it works as good as it looks, I should really be pleased.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

resq302

Top view.     The gray wire with the black box is the wiring for the MP3 adapter that is hooked up to the radio.  The black wire that is still tied up is the wire that plugs into the MP3 player and plugs into the black box with the gray wire that goes into the radio.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fireguyfire

Had this done on the original radio in my 66 Coronet, and it works awesome! You will really enjoy it, while still having a 100% stock look.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

hemi68charger

Awesome.......... How's the sound? I have two am-fm thumbwheels and I want to service them.. That's a great $100 investment.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

resq302

Troy, I think the cost is more for an AM/FM unit.  I have yet to hook it up, didn't have time yesterday.  Really hoping to tonight or sometime this weekend then try out the MP3 player with the FM receiver when that comes in.   :icon_smile_wink:
Brian

troy.70R/T

Thanks for the post that is exactly what I am going to do to my 68 radio.

resq302

Got the MP3 player in yesterday.  Trying to figure out how to get the songs transferred onto it. :scratchchin:  Then tonight the radio installation and on Monday play some tunes!
Brian

bull

I have my radio boxed up ready to go to Ward's along with a couple of extra cores I got cheap to help drop the price a little. I haven't looked into this much yet but I'm wondering if there's a way to tie an amplifier in to the stock system.

resq302

Update - Just got my radio installed yesterday and it sounds great!  Only downfall that I have is that my MP3 player that has the FM receiver in it utilizes the cable that is the headphone wire or wire that goes to the MP3 player port as its antenna so the FM comes in kinda crappy.  The sounds quality of the MP3 through the stock radio is stunning.  Just like listening to a CD in my house or on the computer.  One thing I did find out though is that with the aftermarket radio I had in, I either blew out my front speaker or the front speaker is too close to the metal dash frame grille because some notes, you hear it crackling and vibrating but only the front speaker.  Guess its time to take the radio back out and try to see what the problem is with the speaker now. :brickwall:

Aside from that, the radio sounds and looks fantastic.
Brian

runningman

You may need to put a high-pass filter in to block some of the bass frequencies.