News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LIFE'S GREAT, I'M WALKING!!!

Started by 472 R/T SE, December 09, 2005, 10:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Hello everyone.

Quick set-up.
I crashed my Banshee day after Turkey Day '03 avoiding my best friend, who had just crashed real hard in front of me.   I had no feeling and couldn't move anything from the waist down.  My bowel and bladder will likely stay paralyzed.  The surgeon said I'd never walk again.

Fast forward today
Well, I started new therapy a couple weeks ago with intentions of being in it thru this year and into spring 3 days a week.   My first day of trying to walk netted me less than 10 feet and some serious doubt I'm sure by my therapist.   I told him what I thought I was capable of so he had to be rolling his eyes watching me right about then.   
Anyhow, TODAY WAS MY LAST DAY!!  :2thumbs: :boogie: !!!!!

My goal was to walk and be in shape by Carlisle.  One down. 
I seen that pic of Ron and it really inspired me to get my upper body to where I was and then some.  I need my upper body in better shape to help me when I get old(er).

Some of my excercises are pretty tough on my back and me, but what gets me is when I take a step with my left foot I have to move the RIGHT arm crutch ahead.  Think about it, when you walk you want the arm of the leading foot to move forward.  I still have my problems linking my brain and body functions up and have to stop to think about it sometimes. :-[  It's like I'm re-training my brain, hard to explain.
Even the simplest stuff is so easy for (able bodied) people to take for granted!

BUT I'm walking with my forearm crutches, up to 100 feet nonstop.  I just get tired and out of breath now, and my hands aren't wearing down near as fast.   I've learned to use my legs now versus doing so much with arms and hands.      I'm able to stand up with ease now too, been working on free standing.  My daughter and I tap a balloon back and forth with me trying to build balance.  I can last about 5-8 seconds before falling backwards.  But hey it's a start.

Why post all this here?

Hopefully I can help someone.   
If you think life's more than you can handle.................. you can't give up, no matter what you're facing.    You can accomplish almost anything if you put you mind to it.
Don't let others plan your future.  Tell the naysayers to bite the big one.  You are in charge of your own destiny. 

God Bless and Happy Holidays.  Mike.   :wave:

6pkrunner

Wow! That's great news Mike. So its on your own pegs by Carlisle? Terrific goal. Again congrats!

Vainglory, Esq.

Congratulations - that's wonderful news and a truly inspiring story.

What's next?  Gonna be running marathons by 2009? :P

GTX

Woohoo!! :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Congrats, seriously!
Walking is something that we all take for granted and going through that is a hellish ordeal and you are right, never give up.

Post a video of you walking ( and running) at Carlisle.

-Dave

Lowprofile

That is unbelievably great news!  You are an inspiration to us all Mike. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

ChargerBill

Mike, that's incredible news...I bet you're feeling pretty good. Sounds like you have some hard work ahead of you, but it also sounds like you have a lot of heart...I have no doubt that you'll make it. Thanks for sharing your story and God bless you and yours.
Life is a highway...

Chris G.

Quote from: GTX on December 09, 2005, 10:13:31 PM
Post a video of you walking ( and running) at Carlisle.

Don't worry Dave, he will be staying next door to us in Carlisle, and we we'll tell you how great he's doing. :icon_smile_big:

Mike, great news brother! Take it one step at a time. There's no need to rush it. You da man! :2thumbs:

TruckDriver

Quote from: Lowprofile on December 09, 2005, 10:18:23 PM
That is unbelievably great news!   You are an inspiration to us all Mike. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
:iagree: :2thumbs:

That's really cool Mike! Way to go!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Johnny SixPack

That f*ck*n' rocks, Mike! :METAL:

Can't imagine how great that must feel. :2thumbs:

Your determination is most definitely an inspiration to all of us. :cheers:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

bull

Very cool. I'm happy for you. I hope you keep it up and keep getting stronger.

Recharger

That's awesome news, Mike, congratulations!!!  Before you know it you'll be after 4-speeds again!   :icon_smile_wink:

694spdRT

Quote from: Recharger on December 09, 2005, 11:41:47 PM
That's awesome news, Mike, congratulations!!!   Before you know it you'll be after 4-speeds again!     :icon_smile_wink:

:iagree:   That is great news AllBlue! Your positive attitude will get you through this. I hope you kept the number of the guy that bought your old R/T...you might need it back before long.   :)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Duey

Mike, that is absolutey awesome.  What a perfect example of perserverance, dedication and courage!!!

Keep up the fantastic work!

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Charger_Fan

That's simply FANTASTIC!!
I've got an ear-to-ear grin on my face here! :icon_smile_big:
That's great news! I just know you'll keep improving & will be getting around with (more) ease in no time at all! :boogie:

Very inspiring stuff, buddy! :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

71Charger500

That's absolutely incredibly man.  Congratulations!   :)
1971 Charger 500 383 mod...
Takin' names on the open road.

dads_69

Congradulations! I can't imagine how you must feel, very emotional I bet, keep up the good work.
:2thumbs:
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

What Great News! But for some reason I knew you would. I can honestly say I am tearing up because I am so happy for you.
You are so correct.... Life's Great.

In memory of Craig Denham 2005
-------------------

Chryco Psycho

8WHEELER

74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

psykicpup

That just wonderful - congratulations
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great news Mike!

Keep us updated on your progress :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger4404spd

Wow, what a great Christmas gift. Keep that great positive attitude. :2thumbs:
MERRY CHRISTMAS !

greenpigs

You need to treat yourself to a 4 speed ride..again..this much you owe yourself. The will to achieve means much more than medicine will ever admit.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

TeeWJay426

Great news! Keep up the good work! See ya at Carlisle!
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed