News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Three different intakes, which one?

Started by Hot_Rodder, March 19, 2010, 02:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm leaning toward one of the intakes that are listed, but was wondering which you think?

Holley Street Dominator
5 (21.7%)
Mopar Performance Dual Plane intake
4 (17.4%)
Edelbrock Performer RPM
14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Hot_Rodder

For those who may not be familiar with each of these intakes, here are the links for reference through Summit Racing:
Holley: http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=HLY-300-14
M.P.: http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=DCC-5153525
Edelbrock: http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=EDL-7193
Now each of these are very close to one another, and seem to be about the same thing, though, I'm sure they are not. I am leaning toward the Holley mostly because I've heard the most about it, and have ran it on a previous car. This car (3rd gen Charger) will be driven on the street, and I will be running an square bore carb. I do have a one inch four hole spacer that will be ran so linkage clearance will not be a factor. The EGR stuff on the Holley can be blocked off, so I'm not worried about that either. The heat cross over will also be blocked off with intake gaskets, so, I'm not worried about that either. But out of those three intakes, while running a Lunati 60303 cam, which might be the best bet? I've been trying to get my hands on a good unmodified Holley S.D. but most that I've come across have been worked on, repaired, or sold by the time I come across them (may end up just having to buy one new...) so....
I look forward to the replies, if there any questions, ask away.
:cheers:

Musicman

Without knowing much else about the engine build, outside of the cam... I would go for the Eddy here.

TylerCharger69

yeah...i'd need mathematical numbers on your build....but i lean toward the Eddy also...

471_Magnum

The MP and the Edelbrock are the same intake with different names cast in to them, so that narrows your selection a bit.

The old MP M1 DP is history. Basically a stock intake cast from aluminum anyway.

Expect hood clearance challenges with either of those two intakes.

The Holley SD might give up a little torque down low, but you won't miss it. It's a bunch shorter than the other two making installation easier.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Hot_Rodder

Not sure what all numbers I can give ya, but the gist of it is a more or less factory bottom end (when I get the heads pulled for clean up, I'll know if it's been bored or not, the rods are stamped so)....
Hood Clearance, this car has a bulge hood on it, so it's got a little extra room under it, but it's got a 14x3 air cleaner, would like to find a drop base lid though, that would help out, but as is with a factory '69 date code intake, Holley 4bbl square flange carb, and this air filer assembly, it clears. I have locking motor mounts on it, so there shouldn't be much moving around of the motor...
I will have a torque converter built to the motor and so on, so...

TylerCharger69

Well...if its mostly stock on the bottom end....then...what cam you running?  And...Any head work?   That would be a big help right there...There are more choices out there however....

Hot_Rodder

The heads are currently factory. I am planning on opening them up some, pretty much port matching the intake, and gasket matching, ect ect ect. The cam is the VooDoo 60303, I also got the matching springs and lifters with it. There's a new double roller timing chain, three bolt, that will be going with it (of course ARP hardware will be used). I will probably shave the heads a little to straighten them out (if they're warped that is) and run a thicker head gasket to help make up any difference.
I can't exactly give a whole lot of details, but what I can, I will.

Challenger340

I like the Street Dom. it's always been VERY strong & Proven Deal anytime I've used it.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 21, 2010, 12:12:26 AM
I like the Street Dom. it's always been VERY strong & Proven Deal anytime I've used it.

:iagree: 

The SD will be an easier installation....stock throttle & kickdown linkage will work fine.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hot_Rodder

I had thought about going to an aftermarket type cable type kick down and throttle cable setup (something like a Lokar setup)..... But have yet to make up my mind. If I remember right, the original kick down setup for this car was missing when I got it, though, I need to double check, been a while since I pulled the old motor... And stripped the car most of the way down, lol. If it's missing, I will probably just go the all cable route, if I have it, then I will probably just get a replacement throttle cable from somewhere since the old one is more or less shot. I know with the taller intakes, you'll probably have throttle cable and kick down issues, but on the Eddy and M.P. above, how much trouble might I end up having? I can't remember what the height of the Indy dual plane intake is, but at that point I was looking into running one of those with the aftermarket cable set ups....

firefighter3931

The throttle & kickdown cable kits work fine....you will need it with the Indy or Edelbrock/MP dual planes as all of those are too tall for the factory kickdown/throttle brackets. You will also need a 1.25in drop base aircleaner assembly to clear the hood. I like the K&N assemblies with the flo-thru tops for increased airflow, especially if your carb has a choke horn.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71383bee

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 21, 2010, 10:02:02 PM
The throttle & kickdown cable kits work fine....you will need it with the Indy or Edelbrock/MP dual planes as all of those are too tall for the factory kickdown/throttle brackets. You will also need a 1.25in drop base aircleaner assembly to clear the hood. I like the K&N assemblies with the flo-thru tops for increased airflow, especially if your carb has a choke horn.

Ron

I am running an SD now and am very happy with it.  I run it with the stock dual snokle air cleaner and switch to an extreme for racing. 

Plenty of clearance. 

The only other intake I would consider is the RPM.  I have heard that it is comparable on top end and a bit better on the bottom end tq then the SD.  haven't tried it yet though.   
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Hot_Rodder

Now just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the factory length for the third gen Chargers throttle cable is? I could always drag mine up from where it is, but am hoping someone here knows for sure. I've not made up my mind yet on the intake, but it is between the Hly, and the Edy.... Just a question of cables and such now really...

mikesbbody

It's about "21" inches according to this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/71-74-Charger-Roadrunner-GTX-440-383-Throttle-Cable_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20ac073f9bQQitemZ140325109659QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I bought a new one off E Bogger (Mopar Action Ed) I don't know if it was 21 inches if I can find my old one I will measure it.

Hot_Rodder

Went ahead found mine, was hiding under some stuff on top of the 400 I have sitting around... Measured it right at 22" end to end... So I'm guessing if I go the RPM route (heavy car need to try and hold on to as much bottom end as I can, lol) a 24" aftermarket cable would do fine... I'm thinking something like this:
throttle cable: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-TC-1000HT/
Kickdown cable: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-KD-2727U/
They looks like they might just be fun trying to install lol....