News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will my '04 cummins tow this?

Started by RECHRGD, March 16, 2010, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 17, 2010, 05:37:25 PM
I based my decision mostly on my usage more than the truck handling the load (but a dually would be nice).  I also didn't have a good place to park it without blocking access to an area that I need access to.  Hell come to think of it, I may have had a rough time getting it turned around just to park it.   Bob

do you have exhaust brake on it?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 17, 2010, 06:28:15 PM
I based my decision mostly on my usage more than the truck handling the load (but a dually would be nice).  I also didn't have a good place to park it without blocking access to an area that I need access to.  Hell come to think of it, I may have had a rough time getting it turned around just to park it.   Bob

Those are only fitted on Semi's AFAIK :Twocents:

Silver R/T

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 17, 2010, 08:29:51 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on March 17, 2010, 06:28:15 PM

Those are only fitted on Semi's AFAIK :Twocents:
Wrong, they are actually STANDARD on new 6.7L cummins Rams from factory. You must be thinking 'air brakes', two different things.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargergirl

Quote from: elacruze on March 16, 2010, 10:26:24 AM
You have a couple things to pay special attention to; short bed and 4x4.

Wheelbase equals stability. That's one reason long haulers use a 4 door duallie.
Tires are even more important-duallies don't have 4 only for the additional load capacity, but because you have twice as many sidewalls to keep the trailer tracking straight.
If you have tires which are larger than stock, you're affecting stability. Also if you have tires that are softer than stock, taller sidewalls etc. then you must be much more careful towing, especially with big trailers with heavy tongue weights. By nature, 4x4's are taller and less stable too.
You're not doing something nobody's done before; I towed 10,000 lbs. on a bumper hitch 1400 miles and through the Ozarks behind an '85 4x4 GMC with 37" tires and a detroit locker in the rear. I survived, but the pucker factor put about 5 years on me in 3 days.

As a matter of course, I recommend that all big trailer buyers have the highest-capacity hitch they can get, and find an RV dealer who knows how to set it up properly, and has a hitch scale to know EXACTLY what your loaded and unloaded tongue weight is. Your vehicle will have both gross towed weight and max. tongue weight ratings. Getting the hitch and tongue weight right is the difference between having a great weekend and having the trailer push your truck into the median on its doors.
Don't cheap out on the brake controller, spend the money and get a good electronic one.
Preparation and knowledge are critical.

I have a long wheel base 3/4 ton and it tows great...the long wheel base makes a tremendous difference and no 4x4. These guys know what they are saying. Make sure the tow hitch is done right. and keep in mind you will need lots of room to stop.
Trust your Woobie!

Chryco Psycho

the Cummins has very high tow weight rating & with an equalizer hitch I doubt you would have any problems , the trailer would have to have brakes