News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender Tag

Started by Darkman, March 15, 2010, 08:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkman

Can someone please help me decifer this particular fender tag? It is of a 68 Charger that I am buying.

I'm not sure what the numbers mean (aside from the VIN on the bottom)

Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

69bronzeT5

According to the online '67-'68 decoder.....http://www.jani-immonen.net/decoders/tag6768.html

CAR: Dodge Charger 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 383cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 7.75x14 White Sidewall
BUILD DATE: June 12.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: Charger Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Red Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Burgundy Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Burgundy Metallic Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
H1: Power Brakes
R1: AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a8: Unknown Option
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

maxwellwedge

That is not the VIN on the bottom right - It is the Shipping Order Number. And I think the "a8" = Shoulder Belts. Cool!  :2thumbs:

Cody - What took you so long?  ;)

Darkman

Thanks guys!

Now for another stupid question (waiting for the insults): What does the 2-bbl stand for after the engine capacity (I'm guessing it is big block long, but what does the number stand for?)

maxwellwedge

2 Barrel Carburetor  -  290 Horse Power for that engine.

Darkman

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 15, 2010, 08:50:54 PM
That is not the VIN on the bottom right - It is the Shipping Order Number. And I think the "a8" = Shoulder Belts. Cool!  :2thumbs:

Cody - What took you so long?  ;)

Yes it has Shoulder belts. Looking for a decent bodied Charger in Australia and finally found one (for a price that suits me). It has no engine or trans which is ideal as I am undecided on what to put in it

maxwellwedge

Well - A nicely done 440 and those 2.76 Highway rear end gears = Mad Max Highway Interceptor!

Darkman

It is definitely down to a 440 or a hemi 426. The trans will be an auto possiblty with overdrive.

This is the 68 that I may be putting in a 69 rear tail light panel, so rest at ease that I'm not chopping up a rare car  ;D

Lennard

Now that the topic starter's questions are answered i have a fender tag question.
Is there a company that makes new (Mopar/Charger) fender tags? Mine was gone when i bought it, but i pretty much know al the info that once was on the original fender tag.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Lennard on March 15, 2010, 09:28:20 PM
Now that the topic starter's questions are answered i have a fender tag question.
Is there a company that makes new (Mopar/Charger) fender tags? Mine was gone when i bought it, but i pretty much know al the info that once was on the original fender tag.

Galen - GTS  and Kevin Marti

UFO

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 15, 2010, 09:32:57 PM

Kevin Marti? mopar stuff? I thought he's a Ford guy.

Troy

That digit under the little 'a' on the first line is a 6 which is the code for a console. A 5 would be a buddy seat. Sounds like a really cool car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Darkman

You are right, on closer inspection it is a 6 which means console. It is a "black plate" Californian car and has minimal internal rust. One thing that strikes me is that it has a red vinyl roof and not black as the plate suggests, but it is all original  :shruggy:.

As soon as I pick it up, I'll have a closer look at it all

6bblgt

& there is a 1 under the A which is the 26" radiator (part of the A/C option).

Dans 68

Quote from: Darkman on March 15, 2010, 10:32:38 PM
...It is a "black plate" Californian car ....

Does it still have the black plates?  :scratchchin:  Hmmm?  :D  A lot of members here would love to have a set for their '68's (o.k., o.k., and '69's also). Now, that was a blatant hint.  :icon_smile_wink:

Of course post some pics when you can.  :cheers:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Lennard

Galen - GTS  and Kevin Marti

Galen's site says: We are unable to help you if you don't have a fender tag or broadcast sheet, and a Google search on Kevin Marti shows only Furd stuff.

Darkman

Quote from: Dans 68 on March 16, 2010, 12:00:18 AM
Does it still have the black plates?  :scratchchin:  Hmmm?  :D  A lot of members here would love to have a set for their '68's (o.k., o.k., and '69's also). Now, that was a blatant hint.  :icon_smile_wink:

Of course post some pics when you can.  :cheers:

Dan

According to the pic it does. I won't know if they will still be on the car when it arrives. It should be in my garage in about 5 or so weeks

maxwellwedge

Quote from: UFO on March 15, 2010, 10:01:47 PM

Kevin Marti? mopar stuff? I thought he's a Ford guy.

Marti has done plenty of Mopar Tags - You just have to call them.

Lennard

Thanks, i will do that in the future. :yesnod: