News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ready for the drags?

Started by 70charginglizard, March 15, 2010, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

So now that the lizard can get up and go the way I want it and come down and stop the way I want it I'm seriously considering a few 1/4 mile runs this summer at Seattle raceway to see what kind of 1/4 mile times it can actually put out.

Any suggestions as to what else I may want to do to prepare for race day? Never done this before.

I want to says its done this at least once in it's life time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4caOoxDhqms
70charginglizard

Mefirst

Helmet, gloves and long sleeve jacket and jeans.. thats about it... and also a Warning -Once you take that ride down the 1/4 mile your hooked.. Most important -Your gonna have FUN :2thumbs:

/Tom

alcusswhen

Don't be afraid to red light a few times, thats how you learn the tree. Drag raises are won and lost at the gate, thats what makes reaction time so important. Say you run a 13.20 with a 5 and your reaction time is 410 and the other guy runs a 13.25 with a 10 but his reaction time is 400 he's going to beat you by 5/100th of a second.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

Cooter

Have no fear, once you spend about $75.00-$125.00 to make about 5 passes down the track at the local test and tune, you won't be "Hooked" anymore..And that's if you don't break anything..Cam2 is $7.00/Gal here. Just cost too much to run my junk anymore...Ain't been to the track in over 6 years...Good luck...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TK73

Hey K!!

I ran the '73 at Bremerton Mopar drags about 7 years ago to "baseline" the old 318.  Was cool to do!!  Got a 360 now and going BIGGER

Let us know when you go, been planning on getting out there for some race watchin... maybe run the '08 GT

I'll get Mike N out for the evening!!
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TK73

PS, Mike was wondering what gears are in the back now?

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

70charginglizard

Quote from: TK73 on March 15, 2010, 10:40:12 PM
PS, Mike was wondering what gears are in the back now?

3:23 sure grip. I was thinking about bumping up to 3:55's but probably not until next year.

This need to run is more a curiousity. I really just want to see what kind of time I can get with it's new set up. I may even just let my buddy do it since he's done this many times before and knows how and wnen to lanch to get a good run.

He's helped me a number of times under the hood anyway so I think he's earned it.
70charginglizard

Just 6T9 CHGR

Practice, practice, practice your launch...especially on street tires.

BB's have tons of tire shredding torque.....while its cool to burn the tires off the rims on the street, at the track its fatal.

Ive only gone down the track with my car 6 times....each time feathering the throttle more to produce the best time.  60' time can make a lot of difference in a run.  
Do a few practice "roll outs" on the street to see what rpm's your tires will break loose.   At the track you can adjust the rpms higher because the track will offer a little more grip (if the track is prepared right)

This was my first ever run against my friends 396 Z28....fell asleep at the line with a .441 RT and a tire shredding 2.3 second 60' time.   This was a "free pass" at the tracks cruise night....no track preparation whatsoever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DnJrNbafCE
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

lisiecki1

Quote from: Cooter on March 15, 2010, 09:29:50 PM
$75.00-$125.00 to make about 5 passes down the track at the local test and tune

wow!  down here for $20 on friday night you can make as many passes as you can get in line for.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

89MOPAR

Drive it yourself !    [you can have your buddy in the passenger seat if you want some tips/ encouragement.]

Otherwise it is like having your buddy  " test drive" your new girlfriend to see what she likes, since he has more experience with girls........ :scratchchin:

Friday Street Legals in Bremerton you will get as many runs as you want for $25-30 , starting at 3:30 pm.  I am 15 minutes from that track, will happily meet you out there if you make the trip + have a truck + trailer in case anything breaks.  We have met before at the Covington show.

Good luck + remember -- a street car is hardly ever as fast as you think it should run,  just go for improving times throughout the night.

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

lisiecki1

and if you're not running a pro tree dump it when you see the yellows  :D
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

BBKNARF

If your using a treaded tire do not go through the water box, I'm sure you know how the light system works, on the top of the christmas tree you will see 2 small yellow lights, as you move up slowly the first yellow light turns on, that means you are  pre staged, slowly move forward again until the second yellow light turns on you are staged, then stop, then wait until the tree doe's its count down to
yellow, yellow, yellow, then green if the tree is using this system whitch is called bracket race light (I think) give her the hammer as soon as the last yellow comes on, go. reaction time is something you have to play around with every car is differate. You will love it, let us know how you did.  :popcrn:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

firefighter3931

Do it....the most fun you can have with your clothes on !  :lol:

Some vids of the Black Pig

(1) Mopar day @ New England Dragway compliments of DC.com member Beer :

http://retrorelics.net/jim/Boards/Charger%20Pics/RonsBlackPig.wmv

(2) Chrysler Classic @ Norwalk compliments of DC.com member KamKuda :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cooMvmsf7Ps

(3) Monster Mopar @ Gateway in St Louis compliments of our fearless leader Troy :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlqN_-mSJ3U

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brock Samson

My little Experience with the four times I've been to the drags driving my R/T amounts to this:
 The first time i broke a motor mount at launch so I have the solid Schumakers now..

As you approach the line for the first time it will soon become apparent who your gonna run against and in your mind a competitive attitude will overtake you, near the front of the line your car will be examined for a moment (or three) with the hood lifted by the Tech. They will want to see your Seat Belts on and any obvious loose bits that may damage yourself or the track, in the engine bay this includes a "Catch Can" to catch fluids from the Radiator spilling onto the track, what I do - is run the Rad. Overflow hose directly into the Washer Bottle,.. it's just long enough to reach a provides a stock alternative to buying and installing a purpose built unit. The drag guys can expound on this but for a first time weekend warrior it's usually sufficient.
Don't be shy about enlisting the guys standing around from giving you pointers, quite literally, as they will help you to stage with hand signals and timely suggestions about pulling to the line, burnouts and the like, kind of like being on the deck of a carrier and being staged properly for take off.
When they give you the thumbs up and retire it's just going to be you and your machine and she will start talking to you - all the vibrations and noises take on a heightened significance. What I found is these cars are pretty tough and will reward your confidence and concentration.
Doug, Stewart and RD would be good guys to add their two cents, I'd sure be interested in hearing  their tips.
My car did pretty much flat 14s I was hoping for flat 13s but, with the 3:23 gears and the extra weight I was carrying in my trunk for my three day getaway I came away feeling pretty good about it.
I've been down the track about a half dozen times times now and it's just like crack.  :yesnod:

Cooter

Quote from: lisiecki1 on March 16, 2010, 08:44:13 AM
Quote from: Cooter on March 15, 2010, 09:29:50 PM
$75.00-$125.00 to make about 5 passes down the track at the local test and tune

wow!  down here for $20 on friday night you can make as many passes as you can get in line for.

I live about 50 Miles from the track and by the time I buy Gas for the truck and  car, entry fees, and a full bottle of N2O, I'm out around $125.00....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Hemidoug

How much money do you want to spend? :D
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

70charginglizard

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 16, 2010, 11:06:57 AM
My little Experience with the four times I've been to the drags driving my R/T amounts to this:
 The first time i broke a motor mount at launch so I have the solid Schumakers now..

As you approach the line for the first time it will soon become apparent who your gonna run against and in your mind a competitive attitude will overtake you, near the front of the line your car will be examined for a moment (or three) with the hood lifted by the Tech. They will want to see your Seat Belts on and any obvious loose bits that may damage yourself or the track, in the engine bay this includes a "Catch Can" to catch fluids from the Radiator spilling onto the track, what I do - is run the Rad. Overflow hose directly into the Washer Bottle,.. it's just long enough to reach a provides a stock alternative to buying and installing a purpose built unit. The drag guys can expound on this but for a first time weekend warrior it's usually sufficient.
Don't be shy about enlisting the guys standing around from giving you pointers, quite literally, as they will help you to stage with hand signals and timely suggestions about pulling to the line, burnouts and the like, kind of like being on the deck of a carrier and being staged properly for take off.
When they give you the thumbs up and retire it's just going to be you and your machine and she will start talking to you - all the vibrations and noises take on a heightened significance. What I found is these cars are pretty tough and will reward your confidence and concentration.
Doug, Stewart and RD would be good guys to add their two cents, I'd sure be interested in hearing  their tips.
My car did pretty much flat 14s I was hoping for flat 13s but, with the 3:23 gears and the extra weight I was carrying in my trunk for my three day getaway I came away feeling pretty good about it.
I've been down the track about a half dozen times times now and it's just like crack.  :yesnod:

Cool! :2thumbs:

now that gets me a little excited. Thanks

what about the insurance thing? I'm currently under grundy collector car insurance which leaves me open with unlimited mileage but I'm not sure about the drag thing on that. Policy states that Collector vehicles must be used for show, hobby, and pleasure purposes only. Can a once time drag racing day be considered a pleasurable purpose?  :shruggy: otherwise I may have to get some kind of different policy for this.  :scratchchin:
70charginglizard

Brass

GreenMachine

Remember in order to pass tech inspection, you need:

1. top mounted battery hold down
2. radiator overflow catch can.
3. no more than 12" (or less ?) of rubber fuel line.
4. no leaks.
5. helmet if you run faster than 14's.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

SFRT

insurance wont cover you.

im ready:

wrinklewall M n H slicks on steelies
caltracs, monoleafs and qa1's are tuned up
battery in trunk with exterior shut off
catch can
proper bell housing
driveshaft loop
girdled rear end and block
double mech pumper
serpentine belts
schumacher engine brace
subframe connectors
torque boxes
line lock
4:56 gears

I will prolly do my first runs in Sacramento, they allow open headers. and its a nice small track. very mellow. drive up there, switch the tires, unbolt my front sway bar and see what happens.

I am hoping to run low 12's.

if I can drive it there, do some 12's and drive home I'll be in heaven.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68X426

Quote from: 70charginglizard on March 16, 2010, 01:28:26 PMwhat about the insurance thing?

Don't have any accidents and you'll be fine. :pity:

No, really, I tried for some one day race coverage and was told by several agencies it doesn't exist. You are truly an outlaw racer.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Quote from: SFRT on March 16, 2010, 11:13:08 PMI will prolly do my first runs in Sacramento, they allow open headers.

Sac is a great little out of the way track. Bad news tho', they require full mufflers (at least for the Wednesday night Street Drags)

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

SFRT

I been out there on Saturdays..test ...open headers seemed no problem. I have electric cutouts so I can run either way flip of a switch.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Smokey Bear

Right now you just wanna see how fast it will go. Maybe you'll get hooked and then strategic advice applies, but for now:

1. Find out the rules to run a 14-15 second car and follow them. Thinking you'll skate by will ruin your day.
2. Check to make sure your U-joints are sound.
3. Understand the line up and tree - There are two beams to break to be staged, and the tree doesnt start until both cars have staged.
4. Practice launching your street tires to avoid wheel spin.
5. Focus your attention to the track workers who line you up.
6. Ignore whats going on in the other lane. It's just you against yourself.
7. Nail the gas when the last yellow on your tree goes out.
8. You won't need 3rd gear with 3.23s.

Have fun.

70charginglizard

Thanks for all the advise guys.

Now I guess it's just a waiting game until the next drag event and hopefully a safe non catastrofic day. :2thumbs:
70charginglizard