News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changed out the Inland for a Hurst Shifter today

Started by Dans 68, March 14, 2010, 12:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

I've been putting this off for a year, but with MATS fast approaching I wanted the get the Hurst unit in and do a little exercising with it before the road trip. I took a few photos of the install, and it went as smooth as a baby's bottom. I was surprised that the original bottom boot that covered the Inland is not used. I checked with my '69 FSM to see that there is no mention of a bottom boot for the Hurst shifter. It looks like the shifter is relatively crud-tight.  :scratchchin:

The first four photos show the details in the Brewers Hurst shifter for the Inland conversion, where the Inland shifter handle is used (but the reverse lockout is not).

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dans 68

Photo 5 is of the inner boot, after the console was removed and safely stored in the trunk.

Photo 6 shows the inner boot removed, and the three bolts that hold the Inland shift handle on. The lower boot for the Inland shifter can be seen.

Photo 7 shows the Inland shifter removed, and the stock shifter mounting plate still attached to the transmission.

Photo 8 shows the stock shifter mounting plate now gone. The lower bolt hole in the transmission can be seen to not be all there. It looks like it came from the factory that way, in that the casting on the tailshaft of the A833 at that attachment point was never fully formed. I guess they were in a hurry during the Christmas holiday when they assembled her.  :P  It should hold up just fine with two bolts holding the Hurst plate on. We'll see....  :D

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dans 68

Photo 9 shows the refurbished Hurst shifter mounting plate attached to the transmission.

Photo 10 shows a Hurst shifter bolted to the shifter mounting plate.

Photo 11 shows the Inland handle bolted to the Hurst shifter.

Of course I have not had the car on the road yet, as the rebuilt dash has to still go in, and tomorrow the family is going to the snow for a play day. I did sit in the car and make vroom-vroom noises and shifted the transmission a few dozen times.  :rofl:   It felt nice.  :yesnod:  I'll update this thread when I get some wheel time in.

Dan

ChgrSteve67

:2thumbs:

Your going to like it.

I had one on my 4speed.

:popcrn:

Dans 68

I got the car up on its legs today, and took it for a short spin. A lot nicer shifting, that's for sure.   :yesnod:  It will take a little getting use to. The only continuing glitch is that 2nd gear will pop-out on deceleration; I was kind of hoping that the Inland accounted for the problem. I'll try to adjust it out after I get back from M.A.T.S.

Dan

8WHEELER

Congrats Dan, you will be very happy in the long run. Yep, good old 2nd gear, it gets lots of abuse
and is more likely to wear out.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

gtx6970

I'd like to see more pics of the boots ,,,, pretty please

And what does the lower portion of the handle look like on the hurst shifted late 68's with a console

Cooter

Just FYI here, but the shifter may not be the problem as mentioned with second gear...Sounds like the "Dogs" on the Syncho/Gear have been worn down (Power shifting, and or missing a shift), and causing the problem..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dans 68

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 19, 2010, 08:10:32 AM
I'd like to see more pics of the boots ,,,, pretty please

And what does the lower portion of the handle look like on the hurst shifted late 68's with a console

Bill...what additional pics of the boot(s) did you want to see?  :scratchchin:

The lower portion of the handle is a 90 degree bent flat steel bar with the round Hurst handle welded to it. See the pic for an example (probably not the exact handle).

Quote from: Cooter on March 19, 2010, 11:31:07 AM
Just FYI here, but the shifter may not be the problem as mentioned with second gear...Sounds like the "Dogs" on the Syncho/Gear have been worn down (Power shifting, and or missing a shift), and causing the problem..

Thanks. Yep, I know that this is probably the problem, but I'd rather not get into the case right now. Too much driving coming up!  :cheers:

Dan

gtx6970

is the lower portion of the handle the same between 1969 and hurst shifter in a 68 ? as shown above