News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74 Ralley BB 4-Speed posi sunroof project

Started by NukeEm, March 06, 2010, 09:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NukeEm

Hi Guys, I am new here and this is my first post. I am retired military, 21 years in the Air Force working in/around the big nuclear missile silos the entire time, hence my "Nuke Em" name. I retired here in Wyoming with lots of mostly rust free cars, but spent time in Missouri and Montana too. Originally from Missouri, like my wife who was 2 lockers away though school. My oldest son just left for the Air Force. Nuff about me, the car...

Anyway, I think I got a pretty good deal on this car from Ebay,3K. From the build sheet and fender tag, it was a 400 HP, HD 4 speed,dual sway bars, sun roof,dual flash exhaust tips,323 posi, bulge hood, 1974 Ralley Charger. From my research, this is a very rare combo(probably can count on one hand.)Body is pretty straight and clean but someone did some major sanding and primering so I will need to redo that. Car has been parked in a garage for the last 8-10 years. Fuel tank, sending unit, and straps are missing. Car currently has a built 440 and 727 currently and is very fast. I have picked up a working set of folding/hidden headlights...and a 6-71 blower with dual 750 carbs and scoop. I will not cut that bulge hood, don't worry. All the glass is factory and good. Trunk is full of interior parts, chrome, mirrors, markers, etc and all looks to be there and in great shape. I drove a 74 SB Charger in high school, 83-85, so its my "mid life crisis" car, lol. I have never done much body work so I will be asking lots of questions. Should be a great summer!

I took a crap load of pictures when I got it home and put them here... http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab149/NukeEm666/

Gary

NukeEm

few more...

41husk

Looks like a solid project!  Welcome aboard :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

Back N Black

Welcome! sounds like you picked up a decent Charger. We require lots of progress pics.  :2thumbs:

TruckDriver

Good Score! :cheers:
If your car has a Vin that starts with WH23, you have 1 of 115 made with the 400. 4spd, really rare with the sunroof.
If your car has a Vin that starts with WL21, you have 1 of 5 made with the 400. 4spd, extremely rare with the sunroof.

Either way, I wouldn't modify the body to much so that it hurts the value of the car being it is a rare car.

Another forum that will help you out with your Charger, 1971-1974dodgecharger.com
The guys over there will be drooling over your find ;)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

NukeEm

No worries, I will post lots of progress pictures. I will probably hold off on the blower build for another project, I would hate to ruin a rare-ish car. I will probably go back to the HD 833 4 speed, if I can find one reasonable. More fun to drive too!!!

I just got on that board recently, thanks for the link anyway!

This link has a lot of that build # info...
http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=production&thread=966&page=1#7294

My vin # WH23P4G
OK, of the 29,101 Hardtop Chargers(WH23), 105 were Ralleys. Also from that same 29K Chargers, 115 were HP 400 4 bbl with the HD 4 speeds. What I am trying to find out is how many Ralleys had that drive train. Any ideas how to find out how many had sunroofs? The "G" means it was built in St Louis and my father-inlaw worked there for 35 years, kinda cool.

This link I used to decode the build sheet and fender tag...  http://www.mopar1.us/build.html
According to the above website a fender tag A57 is a Ralley 72-74

Gary

tan top

hello  :wave:   & welcome  Gary  :cheers: , looks  like good project !
rare ole third generation there  :yesnod:    :coolgleamA:  
good lot of pictures on photo bucket ,  :yesnod: looking forward to seeing more as you progress  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

74Rallye

Wow, good score. That may be the Holy Grail of 74 Chargers!  :2thumbs:

mikesbbody

Nice Gary!  :2thumbs: glad to hear your not gonna cut the hood for the Supercharger  :cheers:

rudyjrusa

good deal on car - i have a sunroof 74 charger and love it - thanks for serving in the military and protecting this nation - i love the sign on your truck!!!

RD

great looking start!  very rare car to boot! welcome to the forum!  always love seeing another 3rd Gen pop up!!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

NukeEm

Thanks again guys, it should be a great classic car. As much as I should repaint it back to the original color(metallic bronze), I really want to do it black. That means I will have to ensure the body work is perfect. I do have the time to do that.

It was my pleasure to serve in the military. :patriot: I still do testing on the silos for General Dynamics.

The Holy Grail of 74s, I like that!

Hey rudyjrusa , where did you find seals for the sun roof?  I am sure I will be needing some.

Thanks again guys for the words of encouragement. I'll keep you posted with progress pics,

Gary

NukeEm

Blower installed!

Told ya I wouldn't cut the hood! :loser: :shortbus:

ralley72

Yes great score on that car, 4 speed too. The A57 is the code for a Rallye car. That hood is a 73, but you probably already knew that. Keep the pictures coming and thank you for 21 years of service.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

Rallyecharger

Hi, that car was on Ebay over a month ago.....the guy selling it would only give a bill of sale.
Did you get a title for the car??

NukeEm

Yup, Thats the one from Ebay in late Jan. I drove down and looked it over before the auction ended. I have to do a few hoops with it here in Wyoming to get it titled, but nothing major. I need the Colorado Sheriff dept ran the VIN to ensure its not stolen, its not, checked clear. I need to do it here in Wyoming, then, I have to get the car appraised(value) as it sits now, depending on that, it can be easy and cheap or a few more hoops. I am hoping for the easy and cheap! lol

The guy said he bought a lot of cars from a storage building. He is a ford guy and sold off the other cars.

Gary

Stretch

Not that it matters any but that is not a '74 bulge hood on that car. The '74 hood has no cowl vents stamped in it and is better looking in my opinion.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

NukeEm

Ya, I figured that out too. The engine and tranny are not originals either. There is a big sun tachometer bolted on top of the dash with a hole drilled through for the wires. That is a big reason why it will be a pro-street hammer, real hard to make it original again without spending a small fortune(which I do not have). I would be a lot more willing to restore it if the original stuff was there.  I want to put a 4 speed(or 6 speed!) back in it and build a blower motor for street use. I do not want to tub it or cut/weld stuff to the frame. I want a custom/unique car that built and looks the way I want it to. I want a blower through the hood, not the rare bulge hood, and cruise/show the car for my own enjoyment. Drag racing at the track is great but thats not what I want from this car. Sorry if sounds like I am ranting but I have had a lot of people wanting me to restore it to original. Trade me a pro-street type car? Did not think that will happen so I will start the body work late this spring, just need warm weather here in Wyoming. I can not wait!

Does anyone know how wide a rim and tire can be put under the back of a stock wheel well with proper backspacing. 10" or 12"? 275? 295? Probably a thread about it but I did not find it. I have already learned so much just from reading old threads.

Thanks guys, keep the info coming!

Gary

mikesbbody

Hi Gary, to the best of my knowlege you can fit a 15x10 inch rim on the back with a 295/50/15 tire without rubbing with the correct B.S (sorry not too sure what it is) I'm sure others will chime in with more info. You can move the springs for a wider tire/wheel but I think? 295/50/15 is about as wide as you can go without any mods.

NukeEm

Thanks for that info! I will keep searching for more back spacing info, and will post my findings for others.

Gary

rudyjrusa

Quote from: NukeEm on March 07, 2010, 09:41:51 AM
Thanks again guys, it should be a great classic car. As much as I should repaint it back to the original color(metallic bronze), I really want to do it black. That means I will have to ensure the body work is perfect. I do have the time to do that.

It was my pleasure to serve in the military. :patriot: I still do testing on the silos for General Dynamics.

The Holy Grail of 74s, I like that!

Hey rudyjrusa , where did you find seals for the sun roof?  I am sure I will be needing some.

Thanks again guys for the words of encouragement. I'll keep you posted with progress pics,

Gary

Hi Gary - i bought them a long time ago - i will need to lookup were i bought them - it was a guy in Arizona that was selling them - can't remember his name but will get back to you. 

NukeEm

Stretch

My car is a '73 rallye. I have wheel vintiques 15 x 8 magnum 500 repop wheels on mine. The fronts are 235 /60/ 15 and the rears are 295 / 50 /15. They fit perfect all the way around with no rubbing issues and it has a great stance.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!