News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C compressor tag screw broken off in compressor

Started by WH23G3G, March 04, 2010, 11:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

This is the small one screw that holds the charger tag ontop of the RV-2 compressor head. I was wondering will I be able to drill and retap it out pretty easily? I got a remanufactured compressor and the company must not have thought that was important so they left the broken screw in. I still have my original charge tag. So I want to reinstall it. I already have the compressor and clutch on so of course I didn't notice this until after it was all put on. I'd hate to have to remove it all. It's a small diameter screw maybe like a #4 or #6. Shouldn't it be pretty easy to drill and retap?

Topher

It should be easy to do. Be careful to not break the bit off too, small drills break easy. I think you can get a Helicoil kit for a #6 also if the drill happens to drift to one side.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

TylerCharger69

I'd like to add.....use a small center punch to "divot" the broken bolt so the drill bit will not "walk" on you....and take it slow.  Allow the drill bit to do the work....they do break easy !!   :2thumbs: