News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to gain a few horsepower the cheap way?

Started by charger_cody, March 03, 2010, 10:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

Title basically asks it. I'm looking to gain just a wee bit more power in the RamCharger. It has a 360/727 and it has a EFI setup. Do not really know to much about it. All inputs would be GREATLY appreciated.

Started cause I am tired of getting smoked by Hondas.  :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Cody

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Cooter

:scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Your racing Honda's in a Ramcharger? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that thing a bit HEAVY to be racing it??? Isn't that thing a truck/wagon thing??? Maybe you should be racing Honda's in the woods...Where you'd at least stand a chance.??
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rayzor

get rid of any extra weight laying in the back and dont fill the tank with 30 gallons of fuel.

elacruze

Quote from: Cooter on March 03, 2010, 11:47:11 PM

Your racing Honda's in a Ramcharger? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that thing a bit HEAVY to be racing it??? Isn't that thing a truck/wagon thing??? Maybe you should be racing Honda's in the woods...Where you'd at least stand a chance.??

Yeah don't you have a real car to spend the $$ on?

If it's '96-later; http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=24773
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

RD

I raced hondas with my 87 ramcharger, of course it had a 350(ish)hp 400ci/727 and a 3.55 suregrip.  Not hard to beat 16 sec hondas with a high 14 ramcharger :D

BUT he still hasnt answered my question.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

charger_cody

Quote from: RD on March 04, 2010, 11:48:56 PM
I raced hondas with my 87 ramcharger, of course it had a 350(ish)hp 400ci/727 and a 3.55 suregrip.  Not hard to beat 16 sec hondas with a high 14 ramcharger :D

Haha my bad I had a break from school so I havent been on. It is the TBI motor.

It's not THAT bad. I mean it's nothing like my M880.

Quote from: elacruze on March 04, 2010, 06:23:16 AM

Yeah don't you have a real car to spend the $$ on?

If it's '96-later; http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=24773
Yes I do have a REAL car to spend it on. That's why the title says (cheap)... And if $600 is cheap to you flow me $300 so I can race the hondas in my charger.  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: All I need is exhaust.

And Cooter It's not 4wd or I WOULD  be in the woods.  :smilielol:

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

charger_cody

charger_cody

Hey guys what about an electric fan? Cause if you get electric it doesnt run off the motor, now I know it would save gas but with it help with a little more power?

Cody

bull

Silver R/T

Quote from: charger_cody on March 06, 2010, 11:51:55 AM
Hey guys what about an electric fan? Cause if you get electric it doesnt run off the motor, now I know it would save gas but with it help with a little more power?

Cody
Your alternator will work harder and you're back at where you left off
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RD

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 06, 2010, 02:11:54 PM

Cody

the advantages of an electric fan are only garnered if the fan you buy is still able to maintain the proper engine temperatures (i.e. a hotter temp equates to less HP).  Now, with that being said an electric fan, that is able to keep normal engine temps, will not draw too much from the alternator to actually cause a loss in horsepower greater than what would be gained by removing the mechanical fan.  You should upgrade to a HV water pump at this time to ensure proper cooling though.  

I believe edelbrock makes an intake for TBI systems, just not sure if it will fit your dodge, may want to call summit to see if such an intake exists. Holley makes your TBI system, talk to summit to see if there is a holley TBI system that has larger injectors to up the fuel flow without having to replace your existing fuel pump.

Lastly.. a good, easy breathing exhaust system will help out alot.  Do not go too big though as you will lose valuable back pressure (which equals engine torque).  You need this torque to get that 4200lb beast moving. I would put some headers on there to boot.

A good set of wires, plugs, and a hotter coil can always help too!

62 Max

[quote  Not hard to beat 16 sec hondas with a high 14 ramcharger :D

[/quote]

The average Ramcharger weigh's around 5K,you just didn't race the right Honda's. :scratchchin:

RD

Quote from: 62 Max on March 06, 2010, 10:12:04 PM
QuoteNot hard to beat 16 sec hondas with a high 14 ramcharger :D

The average Ramcharger weigh's around 5K,you just didn't race the right Honda's. :scratchchin:

I had my RC weighed with me in it at a truck scale.. 4450lbs with me in it.  maybe a 4x4 RC weighs that much, but mine didnt.  and really, "is their a RIGHT honda?"

62 Max

Quote from: RD on March 06, 2010, 10:20:50 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on March 06, 2010, 10:12:04 PM
QuoteNot hard to beat 16 sec hondas with a high 14 ramcharger :D

I had my RC weighed with me in it at a truck scale.. 4450lbs with me in it.  maybe a 4x4 RC weighs that much, but mine didnt.  and really, "is their a RIGHT honda?"

Evidently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQxjbq1ERk

RD

ok.. how many of those do you see running the streets? lets not take cody's thread into a "beaucoup dollar ricer" vs rc bit.. because you are comparing apples to oranges to what are, in actuality, 98% of the honda's on the road: slow 16 sec cars with fart cans.

62 Max

Quote from: RD on March 06, 2010, 11:25:01 PM
ok.. how many of those do you see running the streets? lets not take cody's thread into a "beaucoup dollar ricer" vs rc bit.. because you are comparing apples to oranges to what are, in actuality, 98% of the honda's on the road: slow 16 sec cars with fart cans.

But the other 2% is what to worry about and you don't know which is which.

charger_cody

You guys crack me up. I live in oklahoma...... There are no such thing as a 9 sec honda in oklahoma. Especially from the highschool students.

Quote from: RD on March 06, 2010, 02:52:43 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on March 06, 2010, 02:11:54 PM

Cody

the advantages of an electric fan are only garnered if the fan you buy is still able to maintain the proper engine temperatures (i.e. a hotter temp equates to less HP).  Now, with that being said an electric fan, that is able to keep normal engine temps, will not draw too much from the alternator to actually cause a loss in horsepower greater than what would be gained by removing the mechanical fan.  You should upgrade to a HV water pump at this time to ensure proper cooling though. 

I believe edelbrock makes an intake for TBI systems, just not sure if it will fit your dodge, may want to call summit to see if such an intake exists. Holley makes your TBI system, talk to summit to see if there is a holley TBI system that has larger injectors to up the fuel flow without having to replace your existing fuel pump.

Lastly.. a good, easy breathing exhaust system will help out alot.  Do not go too big though as you will lose valuable back pressure (which equals engine torque).  You need this torque to get that 4200lb beast moving. I would put some headers on there to boot.

A good set of wires, plugs, and a hotter coil can always help too!

RD I REALLY appreciate your reply. This helps me a ton. Exhaust is definitely on the list of things to do. But as long as my tank moves the chargers exhaust comes first, knowing that that is the only thing I need to fire her up. I will be calling summit today to get some info on the whole TBI thing. Thanks everyone!!!!!  :2thumbs:

Inputes are still welcome. There is always something else I could do to get that power i'm wanting.

Cody