News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any metal workers out there???

Started by bblockb, March 01, 2010, 12:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblockb

I'm replacing a piece of sheet metal on an old MG that attaches to the main door panel by a lap fold of about 3/16 inch.  The sheetmetal forms a channel  of about 3/4 inch that holds the door subframe that is made out of wood (no kidding!) and slides/crimps under the door sheetmetal lap.

What is the best way to get a 90 degree 3/16 inch bend on about a 20 gage piece of sheetmetal channel curved to the shape of a door?  Are there bead roller dies that can produce such a bend?  Bend is a 90 degree bend, not a flange. 

matrout76

how long is the piece with the bend?

is it straight, or curved?

sharp 90 bend, or some kind of radius on the bend?

sounds like you need to find someone with a pan brake, or maybe a local HVAC fab shop will have a special tool to make such a small leg. 

bblockb

The piece of metal is curved, but the bend, or lip, is a consistent 90 degree straight angle bend.

speedfreak68

you could have it bent and then use a shrinker/strecher to get the curve thats needed...