News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Coys Wheels...3/23, tires mounted, wheels on car....

Started by dkn1997, February 27, 2010, 03:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

A guy in my development bought a 70 runner with Coys on it.  I really liked them but he didn't.  he put stock rally wheels back on.  He offered them to me, said they were 4 grand and he would take 2grand.  I almost fell over but came away thinking that these were expensive wheels.  After looking around for wheels, i found out that they are in fact a cheap one piece offshore made wheel.....  However, I really like them.  

I'm thinking about picking up a set of the C57 polished.  18's and 17's.  the backspace seems to be right for what 2nd gen's need based on the threads I looked at on this site featruring chargers with 17+ wheels.  I think they actually look similar to boyd shrikes...similar.  and I love the smooth lip. Makes the wheel look super deep.  I know all of the arguments about 2 piece light wheels...but these would cost 900 for the set of 4 I want.  

I made a picture comparing the CoysC57 polished to Boyd Shrikes polished.  Just a "looks" comparison.  I know the spokes are curved a bit on the Coys and maybe are more similar to the Magneto...anywho.....
RECHRGED

Troy

Their backspacing is generally right on for a Mopar. I will likely end up with a set or two for my cars. If that guy thinks they are $4k wheels then he probably overpaid for the car. Ouch!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dkn1997

lol..I think he was just regurgitating what the seller told him.  Granted, that's with tires, but 2K is steep for wheels/tires that couldn't have cost more than 2500 new.  Hmmm it's a 383 4 speed car.  Has an airgrabber but I don't know if that's stock.  It's real nice though.  I think he paid 38 for it, about 3 years ago.  Had 20's/18's on it. 
I like the 18/17 look much better (mr angry and a lot of others have this) 

RECHRGED

HITMAN 149

DK...
yea you should be able to get a NEW set of wheels AND tires for $2k-2.5K easily!!! ive been looking myself but need to hold off for a while...  :icon_smile_blackeye: ouch!! lol
scope out seals on ebay... ask them for a quote on a set w/ wheels & tires pkgs!!! ron's rims are a great place to from what ive heard!!!
good luck!!
keep us posted!!!
:cheers:
-john
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Rolling_Thunder

I got a quote for custom made Boyd wheels for my Charger with nitto tires for under $3000 delivered...     

Coys wheels are decent but only about $250-$275 each...       :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dkn1997

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 01, 2010, 05:47:33 PM
DK...
yea you should be able to get a NEW set of wheels AND tires for $2k-2.5K easily!!! ive been looking myself but need to hold off for a while...  :icon_smile_blackeye: ouch!! lol
scope out seals on ebay... ask them for a quote on a set w/ wheels & tires pkgs!!! ron's rims are a great place to from what ive heard!!!
good luck!!
keep us posted!!!
-john

Here's the kicker.. I already have 4 brand new 18" tires.  2 are 295/45/18 and 2 are 245/45/18...I think I could pretty easily get rid of the 245's almost even up for similar sized 17's.... so that leaves me with pretty much having to buy wheels only, or i'd consider the package deals out there. 
RECHRGED

SRT-440

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the 70 RR with the wheels on it would ya? I have a 70 and wanting coy c5's on it.
U said they were 18s on the front and 20s on the rear? how wide 20x?
Thanks.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

dkn1997

Quote from: SRT-440 on March 02, 2010, 02:47:45 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the 70 RR with the wheels on it would ya? I have a 70 and wanting coy c5's on it.
U said they were 18s on the front and 20s on the rear? how wide 20x?
Thanks.

I don't have any pics.. yes 20's on the rear, 18 front with tires.  I forget the size but they are in good shape.  They are C5  polished. 

I may have one crappy cell phone pic, but his car is in the background and it's a rear shot.  To me they are worth 1500 most.  don't know the widths..
RECHRGED

dkn1997

well...as much as it pained me to do it, I put my beloved 16" torquthrusts up for sale.  I still like them...but they were on my car for over 10 years.  It's time for a change.  I'd love to keep them and get new wheels, but that's not in the budget.  So I put them up for sale here, moparts, and craigslist.  Today a local guy came over and agreed to buy them, so by this time tomorrow, I will literally have my charger up on blocks in my garage awaiing new wheels. 

I'm sad to see them go, but excited to have new wheels...It will totally change the look of the car.  I am 99% sure I will order 18x9.5 and 17x8 coys C57 polished.....Unless I can find another set of 18's/17's for around a grand that have smooth wheel lips and correct backspace...
RECHRGED

SRT-440

Yup bigger wheels will change how looks...can't wait to see pics. Cuz the 17/18's is what I'm thinking now too..I want my RR to look fat and low.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

dkn1997

wheels ordered!  17x8 front with 4.5" bs, 18x9.5 rear with 5.5bs.  They have a Facebook page and I went on it and saw they announced a special, they took 25 off each wheel and free shipping if you ordered 4.  So I saved 100 bucks and got free shipping from colorado.  So... for 800 I'm all in including lugnuts and valve stems. 

considering the car and the rear tire size and the 8" wide 17" wheel, what size should I buy for the front?

I'm thinking 245/45/17 or 255/45/17.  I know several members run the 245/45/17.   I'm on the fence with 40 series as they have barely any sidewall at all compared to the back.  The front is lowered and drop spindles are going to end up as part of the plan at some point so I can "raise" it back up (will end up at the same height but better geometry) 

RECHRGED

HITMAN 149

nice!! congrats!!!
i defffff would have bought your old TT II's!!! that was a steal!!!  :2thumbs:
but they were only 16's... and im going to do 17's & 18 like your doing now!!   :icon_smile_tongue:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

dkn1997

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 10, 2010, 07:13:05 PM
nice!! congrats!!!
i defffff would have bought your old TT II's!!! that was a steal!!!  :2thumbs:
but they were only 16's... and im going to do 17's & 18 like your doing now!!   :icon_smile_tongue:

I actually got 800 for them, I was shocked.  local guy who is putting them on his 68 charger. 
RECHRGED

HITMAN 149

NICE!! a WIN WIN for allll involved!!  :cheers:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

SRT-440

Congrats..and post pics when ya can..I can't wait to see.  :2thumbs:

dkn1997

I'm fired up. Hoping they arrive by the end of next week.  what a pathetic mess in my garage right now.  I had two 15" steel wheels with slicks on them..tubed with rim screws... I put those on the front.  I had nothing for the rear so it's up on jackstands.  If the house catches fire I'm dragging it out. 
RECHRGED

Finn

I've got coys on my 68. Love them!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

dkn1997

I have seen your pixs, nice!  What size you running on the front?

I saw a guy over at moparts who is running 275/40/18 on the front of a 70 charger.  Said it only rubs a bit on framerails when @ full lock.
A local guy has a new set of 275/40/17's on craigslist...I really really like a wide tire on the front but I'm afraid these might be pushing it too far
RECHRGED

Finn

Thanks! They're 245/45Z/R18. No rub at ride height but at full drop they can only turn a couple inches without hitting the inside of the fender. It's enough to change lanes in case of bag failure.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

dkn1997

Quote from: Finn on March 13, 2010, 02:46:56 PM
Thanks! They're 245/45Z/R18. No rub at ride height but at full drop they can only turn a couple inches without hitting the inside of the fender. It's enough to change lanes in case of bag failure.

ok...what's your version of "full drop"  here is a pic of my car's current ride height...I'm probably going to have to lower the ass, but the front will likely stay close to where it is.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

here is a pic of a boyd shrike next to a coys c57...again...not sayin it's the same wheel as far as design or quality, but it looks similar...coys on the right.  they coys is the chromed version, I went with polished.
RECHRGED

Finn

This is close-to if not full drop:

Sorry I know its hard to tell how low it is but Ive got it up on stands at the moment so these are the closest pictures I could find.

This is nearly topped:

The only thing I have of it at ride height is this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZetXofs4SY
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Brock Samson

My GOD, It's full of stars!

dkn1997

Quote from: Finn on March 13, 2010, 09:26:21 PM

Sorry I know its hard to tell how low it is but Ive got it up on stands at the moment so these are the closest pictures I could find.

This is nearly topped:

That car is sweeeeettt!  I'd say that my final ride height falls almost in the center of your ride height and full drop..
RECHRGED

dkn1997

I came home to a nice surprise...4 new wheels on the front porch!  took a couple of pics with the blackberry.  I went into this a bit uneasy, as I heard some less than flattering comments about coys customer svc and quality, but I have to  say so far, I'm very happy.  The order took about 2 minutes on the phone, they honored the special they advertised on facebook, and they included the lugnuts and valvestems as promised.  To me, the quality is fine.  I got the polished finish and it's not super polished to the millionth degree...but it's very nice.  I noticed that the back of the wheel is not polished at all.  For some, that would be a big deal.  to me, I could care less.  I'll keep my wheels clean and nice, but I won't be the guy crawling under the car to wash and polish the back! 

anyway, too a few pics with the blackberry: 

clearly my boy thinks they make a nice ottoman:
RECHRGED

dkn1997

had to put one on... and these are the rear tires I'm using.. still have to buy fronts.  crappy blackberry pics.  I'll take better ones this weekend.  hopefully find some decent tires soon
RECHRGED

HITMAN 149

looks sweet bro!! congrats on the new shoes!!!!  :2thumbs:
it's hard to tell... but they have a slight curve to them???
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Finn

Those are going to look awesome! Congrats!
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Hemidog

Quote from: Finn on March 13, 2010, 09:26:21 PM

This is nearly topped:

Finn, I don't want to sound criticizing, but I feel the car would look better if the rear wheels were farther outwards...  :scratchchin:
Paint looks great !  :yesnod:

SRT-440

Congrats!!! So you went with the 18x9.5 for the rear...from what u can tell so far, does it fill the wheel well good?

I'm hoping the 18x9.5 will go out to the quarter panel and not look "small"..does that make sense?

But, I can't wait for pics of your car on the ground.  :popcrn:

Finn

Quote from: Hemidog on March 17, 2010, 03:38:29 AM
Finn, I don't want to sound criticizing, but I feel the car would look better if the rear wheels were farther outwards...  :scratchchin:
Paint looks great !  :yesnod:

Thanks! I totally agree with you but unfortunately that is the max they can go towards the outside due to the airride. If the bags were to fail for whatever reason, the wheels would hit the the inside of the well and cause some nasty damage. I think that issue could be solved by tubbing the wells to have more outside clearance but since Ive already got it 90% done I'm going to drive it for a bit before tearing it down again lol.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

dkn1997

Quote from: SRT-440 on March 17, 2010, 07:04:58 AM
Congrats!!! So you went with the 18x9.5 for the rear...from what u can tell so far, does it fill the wheel well good?

I'm hoping the 18x9.5 will go out to the quarter panel and not look "small"..does that make sense?

But, I can't wait for pics of your car on the ground.  :popcrn:

looks to fit well...maybe a hair close on the leafspring, but a 1/4 spacer wouldn't be the end of the world.  I'm fired up! 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

better pics...have the two tires already, ordered the fronts.  went with 255/45/17.  They will be here on mon/tues and i will have them mount up everything.  I measured the centerbore on the wheel and the hub bore on the car and it looks perfect to me.  I don't know whether these are hubcentric or lugcentric wheels, but doesn't matter now.

RECHRGED

SRT-440

I'm gonna just wait to buy mine until I see how yours look/fits..I really wish the coy/boss wheels came in 18x10's.

:popcrn:

dkn1997

Quote from: SRT-440 on March 23, 2010, 02:33:27 PM
I'm gonna just wait to buy mine until I see how yours look/fits..I really wish the coy/boss wheels came in 18x10's.

:popcrn:

It would be nice...but it's 1/2 inch.  I got them mounted up tonight and 295 width tires fit perfect.  I think 305 would even be fine.

Anyway, here are some pics on the car.  Unfortunately, it's pouring rain and dark here now so garage shots are all I could get.  hopefully I can pull it out in the light tomorrow and see how they really look.  Rear tire is almost 2" from inside of wheel lip, may need a spacer.  I'm fired up though, I think they look great. 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

I may flip the front hanger on the leafspring to lower it just a bit, and I just lowered it off jackstands in the front, so it's not "settled" yet.  I may have to crank down the Tbars just a hair. 

also, may have to put a spacer on the rear..maybe 1/2" or 3/4"  Have to see how it looks in the light....too soon to really decide now. 
RECHRGED

Finn

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

SRT-440

dkn1997

Quote from: SRT-440 on March 24, 2010, 07:11:30 AM
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it outside!  :2thumbs:

here it is. I need to tweak this a bit. I suspected I would have to lower the car a bit in the rear to get it just "right"  These pics confirm it.  Also, I think I will have to add spacer in the rear. they are a bit too far "in" for my taste.  I will lower the car first, then see where i'm at.  I'm very happy with the wheels.  you can see what I'm talking about in some of the pics
RECHRGED

noff57

SRT-440

Looks great! To me the height looks good...if it were mine, I'd deff do the spacers just to bring them out a bit in the rear.. but looks really good as is!!  :2thumbs:

dkn1997

Quote from: SRT-440 on March 25, 2010, 07:00:58 AM
Looks great! To me the height looks good...if it were mine, I'd deff do the spacers just to bring them out a bit in the rear.. but looks really good as is!!  :2thumbs:

question is how much?  I think I can safely get pretty close to inner wheel lip.  I think it's about an 1.5" gap between tire and lip.  I'm thinking 1" spacer.  at that point, will likely need an adapter or at minimum a hubcentric wheel spacer and longer studs. 
RECHRGED

SRT-440

Good question. I've never delt with spacers or adapters before so I don't have a clue.

However, after searching for pics of wheels I came across this thread (below) and his rear wheels are exactly what I'm looking for in size and backspacing..they no longer make these wheels according to newstalgiawheel...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11111.0.html

Troy

Quote from: dkn1997 on March 25, 2010, 02:01:11 PM
Quote from: SRT-440 on March 25, 2010, 07:00:58 AM

question is how much?  I think I can safely get pretty close to inner wheel lip.  I think it's about an 1.5" gap between tire and lip.  I'm thinking 1" spacer.  at that point, will likely need an adapter or at minimum a hubcentric wheel spacer and longer studs. 
Don't get too terribly close to the outside lip - especially if you lower the car. When you go hard into a corner and the body leans to the outside it effectively tilts the inner wheelhouse into the outer tire and the inside wheel lip/quarter into the inside tire (but not as bad because the inside is raised where the outside "squats"). Hit a bump and you have an "outie" in your quarter (possibly a cut tire and/or bent wheel lip with enough ride height). Stiffer springs reduce this possibility.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

SRT-440

Or roll that inner lip...mine is a ex-drag car and someone cut the inner lip off. Gave it a lil more playin room. Prolly wouldn't do it to your car tho cuz it might crack ur paint or something.  :shruggy:

dkn1997

the question is how close can i get?  I will know more when I lower the rear...which i plan to do very soon.  going to try to flip the front hangar first...then lowering blocks or new de arched springs If I need..
RECHRGED

HITMAN 149

01 BMW 740i SPORT  

dkn1997

Round 2 over here and I I may not need adapters after all. After lowering the car, it looks really good to me.  Let me know what you guys think.

I used 2" lowering blocks rear and cranked down the Tbars 2.5 turns in the front. 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

Here's one showing stock height at top, lowered on bottom.  to me, it's a world of difference...
RECHRGED

HITMAN 149

yea.. loooooks great bro!!! nice going!!  :2thumbs: stance is realllly nice!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

dkn1997

I was trying to get it to look like mr. angry... how did I do?
RECHRGED

dkn1997

It's like I am on crack right now!   :o  I haven't been this excited about the car in a long time.  I also have a set of sebring convertible seats that are going in with subframe connectors /new carpet this year.  My buddy keeps kidding me that "this is the summer of the charger"  ...it's been 15 years of the charger, where has he been?  lol
RECHRGED

HITMAN 149

sweeeeet!! sounds like a plan!!!! keeep it up!!! ohh yea and the pics too!!! lol
:2thumbs:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Back N Black

looks good, I think your bang on with the look and stance.  :2thumbs: