News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who's Put A Windshield In And Knows How To Do It?

Started by 69DodgeCharger, February 17, 2010, 11:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

The tape is a very thin strip, maybe 1/8" if that in thickness.  Worse comes to worse, I could always smooth it out also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on February 20, 2010, 02:59:59 PM
The tape is a very thin strip, maybe 1/8" if that in thickness.  Worse comes to worse, I could always smooth it out also.

......But why not just use the proper sealant?  Are you worried about mess? Or?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

Because the last time they put the windshield in back in 200 or 2001, they sealed it all up with urethane around the glass and around the gasket to the body and it still leaked on both floors.  I figured this way, it would be nice and dry!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on February 20, 2010, 08:20:34 PM
Because the last time they put the windshield in back in 200 or 2001, they sealed it all up with urethane around the glass and around the gasket to the body and it still leaked on both floors.  I figured this way, it would be nice and dry!

Im not trying to belittle you or anything . Im just trying to wrap my head around what your planning.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

b5blue

I think some it depends on use, mine is 365-24-7 rain or shine daily driver and Safelite Co. never got it right. (my original glass was milky) Long story short: in the past my dash looked like a waterfall, new glass and gasket "professionally installed" incorrectly. Later the "painter" who paid someone to pull it (to check for rust holes) bowed my vent slots leaning on it (painter also sandblasted my 1/4 windows and back glass) Nobody works on my car but me now. (by the way, there were no rust holes for water to leak through)  :RantExplode: I say do whatever you want, none care as much as you do!  :2thumbs: 

resq302

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 20, 2010, 10:16:44 PM

Im not trying to belittle you or anything . Im just trying to wrap my head around what your planning.

Im planning on having the pros put the windshield and new gasket in but also planning on them not being able to prevent the leaks which is the reason for trying to seal up the metal dash to lower channel prior to them coming in to do it.
Brian

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on February 21, 2010, 10:32:47 AM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 20, 2010, 10:16:44 PM

Im planning on having the pros put the windshield and new gasket in but also planning on them not being able to prevent the leaks which is the reason for trying to seal up the metal dash to lower channel prior to them coming in to do it.

Ah,That makes more sense.

69DodgeCharger

Part of the reason I posted this was because I am worried about an improper installation which will cause leakage and problems later. I wanted to make sure that the guy who installed it knows what he's doing, so I needed to know a little bit more about how it goes down. I don't want to have to do this twice.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

resq302

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on February 21, 2010, 02:29:12 PM
Part of the reason I posted this was because I am worried about an improper installation which will cause leakage and problems later. I wanted to make sure that the guy who installed it knows what he's doing, so I needed to know a little bit more about how it goes down. I don't want to have to do this twice.

Been there, done that!
Brian

58pwrwgn

Make sure you ask the glass company if they have someone with experience with old cars. Make sure you clean any mold release residue off your new gasket and clean the pinchweld as well, if you what the selant to stick. I to would use the 3m bedding material to seal the gasket to the body and you will probably need to request it. I think most young installers use urethane because its all they have in their van. Also if you have a leak look at the wiper posts as a possible source as well.

resq302

Im in the process of rebuilding the wiper pivot posts as we speak.  I got the Schumacher kit and all I need to do is reinstall it. :D
Brian