News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unknown camshaft markings

Started by mhinders, February 17, 2010, 02:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhinders

I've been trying some search functions but I haven't come up with any useful info.

The camshaft that came with my 383 4bbl -67 car has the following markings:

- at one end "454", same side, in the middle of the camshaft "22" and "C", 2 cam lobes separating the markings
- on the opposite side of the camshaft, in the middle, "22" and "D", 2 cam lobes separating the markings
- the drive side end is red/brown, the other end has an  "&" sign and something that looks like a round "A".

Anybody having any info/ideas about the this camshaft?
I'm mainly interested in finding out if this is the original Mopar camshaft, or is it something else.

Could  the "454" indicate it's a Chevy 454 camshaft????

Ciao,
Martin
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

John_Kunkel

In most cases those markings only mean something to those who made the cam.

A 454 Chevy cam would have the distributor drive gear at the rear.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mhinders

Ok, thanks.
I guess I can assume that the camshaft is original, since all the other parts as exhaust, intake, carb etc are all original equipment.
Martin
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

TylerCharger69

i would assume that 454 would be lift???  Are these stamped in the camshaft or part of the casting like what may be found on an engine block?

Cooter

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on February 18, 2010, 04:15:39 PM
i would assume that 454 would be lift???  Are these stamped in the camshaft or part of the casting like what may be found on an engine block?

Typically, No that would not be the actual lift of the cam, just some radom production numbers...And no casting numbers on camshafts..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TylerCharger69

i just assumed the theory of that being the lift....And....I've seen camshafts with casting markings on them...I'm not talking about what's on the ends which is usually a stamping I'm talking like between the lobes or in an area like that.

In fact...i just went out to the garage because I started to question the issue myself and I have a purple shaft in the box.  It has casting marks....by the distributor gear...it has a number 1, followed by that little time dial thingy that's usually found on blocks, followed by a number 2....On the end of the camshaft, at the front side of journal 5,  there is what appears to be a "WTC"  or maybe a "WJC" that is in the casting.  There are also some smaller raised round "divots" randomly throughout the shaft itself...Now...of course...there are stampings on each end.  I tried to get a picture...but my camera must suck because that close of a shot becomes way to blurry to see anything....what can in say...it's only a 2.8 pixel.....