News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get ready, Chevy Volt due this November. Update!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Extracting that single bit out of everything else I said misses my point though.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on January 05, 2011, 12:38:46 AM
Extracting that single bit out of everything else I said misses my point though.
I hear ya, but that's been my main point from day one.  I think overall it's something good, something different heading in the right direction for change. Just trying to keep politics, favortism for certain companies,etc.... out of the picture. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Okay, but then I should perhaps go back and remove that one part from my post since my point was that it is HUGELY (almost solely IMO) about politics.

chargerboy69

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 05, 2011, 06:57:55 AM
Just trying to keep politics, favortism for certain companies,etc.... out of the picture.

But this car is all about politics and favoritism for certain company's.

A car built by a government controlled company (insert politics here) and the American taxpayer is paying for $7500.00 of each car sold (more politics). Is the Leaf getting the same deal, nope, just the government controlled car company's car (the favoritism can not get anymore obvious).
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

elacruze

Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 05, 2011, 09:36:17 AM

Actually, you have it all backwards. The politics and favoritism that most affects what automakers produce is from the Oil Industry.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

chargerboy69

Quote from: elacruze on January 05, 2011, 10:35:56 AM

Actually, you have it all backwards. The politics and favoritism that most affects what automakers produce is from the Oil Industry.

And how is that exactly?  If the oil company's are "greedy" and the price of oil is high then people run to a Prius?  If the oil company's are just looking to make a slight profit people run to the Escalade?  You do realize a greedy oil company, like Exxon for example, has a profit margin of 8.9%. 
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

1969chargerrtse

The Chevy Volt was being designed and tested before GM borrowed money to stay alive. Also, what about all the other car rebates via the gov?  Didn't hybrids have a rebate?
Also, no interest in the Volt or leaf?  Just found this on their site
" A: To date, 20,000 people have already reserved a Nissan LEAF - a number that has exceeded our expectations "

And the volt? This was answered 4 months ago.
" There are currently 23,258 Americans on the waiting list for the Chevy Volt. That line is a lot shorter than the international queue, however, with 52,801 on the list in 97 different countries. "

Keep in mind most people don't even know of the Volt yet.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

451-74Charger

If ANY of the Electrics are made by Lucas....... It would stop at the first puddle, heck usually at the sight of water.  :smilielol:

1969chargerrtse

CAR AND DRIVER 10 BEST CARS OF 2011

"  Best of all, its efficiency is unmatched, as long as interstate travel is omitted. One editor drove the Volt 101 miles in 18 hours (including a 10.5-hour charge, 220 volt charger in 4 hrs) and only used one gallon of gas. That's some seriously eye-opening arithmetic. "

elacruze

Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 05, 2011, 10:55:04 AM
Quote from: elacruze on January 05, 2011, 10:35:56 AM

And how is that exactly?  If the oil company's are "greedy" and the price of oil is high then people run to a Prius?  If the oil company's are just looking to make a slight profit people run to the Escalade?  You do realize a greedy oil company, like Exxon for example, has a profit margin of 8.9%. 

You have it right, but only half the picture.

As previously shown, electric cars have been in the shadows ever since the beginning. As a long-term strategy, oil companies have always had to consider the fact that their maximum price point is dictated by the economic viability of electric vehicles. They have always had to price the electric competition out of the market.

The vast majority of users don't know or care what makes the car go, they just want it to go cheap. The reason fuel prices have gone up so drastically in the last 5-10 years is because India and even moreso China are sucking up oil to build infrastructure. Bulldozers use more oil than Escalades.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Ghoste

An endorsement by C&D doesn't do much for me I'm afraid. Just my personal opinion.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on January 06, 2011, 11:28:37 AM
An endorsement by C&D doesn't do much for me I'm afraid. Just my personal opinion.
MOTOR TREND 2011 CAR OF THE YEAR!!!!
:shruggy:
" As one of the consultant judges on this year's COTY panel, Chris brought the deep insight and professional skepticism you'd expect of someone who's spent his entire working life making cars. But our 2011 Car of the Year, Chevrolet's ground-breaking Volt, has blown him away. "
:icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_wink:

Ghoste

The only good cars they ever chose for that were the GTO and the Road Runner.  Didn't MT once hold lofty praise for that other marvel of engineering, the Vega?

Brock Samson

MT is the worst of the main stream car mags... Pretty much being the industry's waterboy. But I think it remains to be seen how this will play out, I fail to see the appeal of the Volt myself, they watered down the original concept enough to where It's lost it's original rather aggressive stance proportion and rake. And - even at the lower price point accounting for the Govt. breaks I wouldn't want to be a guinie pig owner. Other's with more cars in the garage and $ in the bank can have the "honor" of being the first on the block.
I do however, see a coming rapid price increase for gas in the next Yr. and I'm sure that will have far reaching negative implications for us all.  :P My adjustment will be to go for the Pheniox V-6 rather then the Hemi V-8 in my next MOPAR.
Concidering the Hybrids the loss of space behind the rear seats and extra weight for example in the Ford Fusion which I personally really like are not at all to my liking.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on January 06, 2011, 02:10:15 PM
The only good cars they ever chose for that were the GTO and the Road Runner.  Didn't MT once hold lofty praise for that other marvel of engineering, the Vega?
CHEVY VOLT WINS GREEN CAR AWARD!!!!

GM's (NYSE GM) Chevrolet Volt was named the 2011 Green Car of the Year on Thursday, the same day the company held a triumphant an IPO for its return to the New York Stock Exchange.

The Volt was named the winner by the Green Car Journal, beating out Nissan's all-electric Leaf, the 2011 Ford Fiesta, 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, and 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.

:laugh:

1969chargerrtse

CHEVY VOLT WINS POPULAR MECAHNICS EXCELLENCE AWARD!!!

After more than 300 miles behind the wheel of GM's technical marvel, we remain impressed. GM reps call the Volt an EV with a range extender because its prime motivation comes from a 16-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack that users can charge from an outlet before driving. Once the battery is depleted, a 1.4-liter four-cylinder gas engine spins a generator so drivers never have to worry about being stranded with a flat battery. In practice, the Volt hides its high-tech underpinnings in a refined, smooth and practical everyday machine that's unlike anything else on the road. With a charged battery, the only sounds the car makes are faint electronic hums and buzzes and hushed tire noise. The backup engine fires with a barely perceptible shudder and only gets raucous during hard driving. While GM claims the Volt can travel up to 40 miles on a fully charged battery, we never got farther than 35 before the engine fired. Once the battery was discharged, the Volt returned 31.72 mpg in the city and 36 on the highway—decent but far from stellar results. But as GM works on Volt 2.0, surely those figures will improve. More to the point, it represents a dramatic re-engineering of the automobile that will change the way people think about electric cars. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

And yet with all those accolades and the tireless cheerleading they only have a market for 20,000 units?

Brock Samson

Didn't they sell approx. 80K chargers in '68?..

Ghoste

maxwellwedge

Whoever spends the most in advertising with Motor Trend gets the nod. Always have - always will.

1969chargerrtse

More great Volt info guys!!

http://www.kcci.com/r/26382608/detail.html

Long Wait For All-Electric Cars In Iowa
Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf Are In High Demand

DES MOINES,Iowa -- The first pictures of the new Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid show the Pacific Ocean in the background. And that should be a clue. The new Volt is on sale in California. But don't expect to kick the tires closer to home at Karl Chevrolet in Ankeny.

"We've had people on our list to order for two years," said Mark Wittry of Karl Chevrolet.

Wittry said Volt buyers in the metro will stay on the waiting list for a while. The new $41,000 Volt won't show up in the showroom in Iowa until 2012 at the earliest.

Chevy is only making 10,000 Volts in the first year of production. And Wittry says Chevy gets more bang for their buck selling them in LA and New York. A few weeks ago, two Volts on their way to the Los Angels auto show stopped at Karl Chevrolet for a surprise visit.

"The guys that did see them did have a chance to drive them around the lot. They said it was an amazing vehicle," said Wittry.  :boogie:

The Nissan Leaf is also being rationed. The $33,000 all-electric car is only available in five states. Mark Hummel of Hummel's Nissan drove one this summer and loved it.

"Of course it's very, very quiet, there's absolutely no noise in this car," said Hummel.

Brock Samson

is there a Volt website where you can go please? 

1969chargerrtse

Yes right here.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,27955,28060&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=chevy+volt&cp=4&pf=p&sclient=psy&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS405&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=chevy+vol&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=7b989c6c17f79c85

but the more you guys act silly and threatend about the future that is coming whether you like it or not, the more I'll post what a great thing THE NEW CHEVROLET VOLT IS!!

Did I mention it was Motor Trend car of the year?  :nana:

chargerboy69

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 07, 2011, 08:39:23 PM

Big deal. . so was Renault Alliance. Oh, . . . . and the Horizon.

--Gerald Ford

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 07, 2011, 09:09:48 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 07, 2011, 08:39:23 PM

Big deal. . so was Renault Alliance. Oh, . . . . and the Horizon.
Yeah I know it was a joke.  ::)
I liked the Horizen.  :shruggy: