News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Coating for freshly polished grill trim?

Started by tylerk, February 15, 2010, 11:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylerk

Gentlemen,

I'm working on restoring my grill trim.  It's in good shape, I've had to work a few dings out here and there but overall I'm very happy with what I've got to work with.  Now, for my question.

I watched the Youtube video on restoring aluminum trim, from the grill restoration database, and in the end the fellow mentions clear powdercoating the pieces.  I don't have this at my disposal, so is there any other way to coat the freshly polished aluminum? 

Thanks in advance for your time.  :cheers:

Chatt69chgr

I think the originals were clear anodized.  I guess if you don't clear powdercoat them then you would have to resort to clear laquer from a spray can.  There is a good thread on grills on here.  I have not reviewed it recently but it might yield a good way of protecting your trim.

vancamp

Glisten pc from por 15 is designed to be sprayed over polished metals and keeps it from oxidizing i used it on a couple headlight doors for a plymouth worked good, just make sure it is polished to perfection first cause once you use it its there till you sand it all back off.

tylerk

bill440rt

Extreme Diamond Clear from Eastwood!  :yesnod:

I used this stuff on all my polished engine pieces, and some spare polished grille trim I had. Do NOT get the Diamond Clear in a spray can, it is garbage. The Extreme Diamond clear is the way to go.
It's best sprayed thru a touch up gun or airbrush on polished pieces. On cast pieces, I brushed it with a foam brush. Parts MUST be clean & free of fingerprints. The stuff dries virtually invisible & does not alter the polished finish.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce