News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

polished aluminum intake?

Started by andy74, December 06, 2005, 07:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

can i take the used intake i just bought and polish it with metal polish?ive never tried to make an engine look pretty before,and this is not something i want to screw up! i just had my buddy bead blast it clean,and it looks great,what now?

cudaken

Sanding!  ;D  It can be done my hand and normal body tools. I did mine this way. Started with 80, 120, 220, 320, 400, 500, 600, then 1000 girt paper on a DA. On hard to reach spots I used a Drumble, did I spell that right? ;)

Next I used the buffer with a heavy, medium, fine cut compund. Then the metal polish. Flat spots go quick, rest was a bitch. I would guess 10 hours. East Wood sells a kite for doing it, if you have a lot of stuff you want to do well worth it.

Would save you money if you want to chrome stuff as well. A old friend of mine owned a chroming plating shop and told me the steps that need to be done. Here something that few of you will know. Chrome in its own right does make it shine. Metal is polshied frist, then dipped in Chrome. Seems the main thing chrome does is keep the metal shiney.

Cuda Ken
I am back

BigBlockSam

then ya gotta clean it. cause it won't stay shinny forever
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Blown70

Quote from: cudaken on December 06, 2005, 08:25:41 PM
Sanding!   ;D   It can be done my hand and normal body tools. I did mine this way. Started with 80, 120, 220, 320, 400, 500, 600, then 1000 girt paper on a DA. On hard to reach spots I used a Drumble, did I spell that right? ;)

Next I used the buffer with a heavy, medium, fine cut compund. Then the metal polish. Flat spots go quick, rest was a bitch. I would guess 10 hours. East Wood sells a kite for doing it, if you have a lot of stuff you want to do well worth it.

Would save you money if you want to chrome stuff as well. A old friend of mine owned a chroming plating shop and told me the steps that need to be done. Here something that few of you will know. Chrome in its own right does make it shine. Metal is polshied frist, then dipped in Chrome. Seems the main thing chrome does is keep the metal shiney.

Cuda Ken

Agree with Ken here as he helped me out with the polishing question.... :icon_smile_cool:

The aluminum that is... ;)