News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radio in glove box

Started by Sixtyeight, February 07, 2010, 04:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixtyeight

Hi,

I'm looking for pics from radio's build in glove box compartments of sec Gen Chargers. I've seen some by using the search function, but only just a few.
Please pot up  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks,

Jeroen.

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

41husk

I put one in my 68 that I sold to a member,
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

jb666

That's a great setup, and an awesome way to maintain the "factory original" look... I have the AM radio in my car, that I had rebuilt and refinished.. It'll never have power to it. If I ever get a radio it'll be something that's inside the glove box and completely hidden, like this.

WHITE AND RED 69

Here is mine I did around 2 months ago. It fit just barely. The only problem I have with it is the remote will only work with the door open but it makes a clean look with it hidden. My old one used to be under the dash and I always hated it there.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

mauve66

here is my modern radio, ipod input and all
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

SG1022

Hey Mauve, any chance we can get a picture a little farther back than that last one? Maybe a full dash pictured.

Sixtyeight

Hi,

Thanks for posting. The 41husk look is the look i'm going for! Did you made that from aluminum, or something else?
Any tips?

Jeroen.

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

41husk

Luan and a speaker cover material thats like carpet.  The glove box is completly removed.  the glove box door must be open to operate the remote.  I usualy put a CD in and listen to that for the entire cruize.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

375instroke

Just run an iPod, or the like, to an amp.  Less hassle, less modification, more music, and a full size glove box with a door that can be kept closed while driving.

Foreman72

Quote from: SG1022 on February 07, 2010, 09:44:21 PM
Hey Mauve, any chance we can get a picture a little farther back than that last one? Maybe a full dash pictured.

right click on the image and select view image...it zooms out... :2thumbs:

mauve...i am in desperate need of knowing how you modded your radio to accommodate an external connector
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Khyron

I can't, my msd6al is in there :lol:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I mounted mine much like white & red did with the exception of using a wired remote run into the console.....I can keep the glovebox & console closed while driving ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 08, 2010, 03:35:19 PM
I mounted mine much like white & red did with the exception of using a wired remote run into the console.....I can keep the glovebox & console closed while driving ;)

Thats what i would do.  I had a car with a radio in the glove box once and it was a pain in the butt to always open and close the glove box door.   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

I have mine mounted under the dash , with a wireless remote w/ fold out touch screen .  I also still have a refurbished  am/ 8 track in the dash 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mauve66

Quote from: Foreman72 on February 08, 2010, 02:56:43 PM
Quote from: SG1022 on February 07, 2010, 09:44:21 PM

right click on the image and select view image...it zooms out... :2thumbs:

mauve...i am in desperate need of knowing how you modded your radio to accommodate an external connector

here is the link to the conversion and Harolds email, i don't know the technical side but part of what he did was take the ipod connector out of the radio then extend it with wires and terminated it in that rectanglular box, enough wire so that i can have it in the center console box with the ipod hooked to it

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,64048.0.html

make sure you read/or ask Harold about some limitations with this idea, they didn't bother me but they might you
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

375instroke

What are you trying to do?  If you want to use an iPod, why do you need a head unit?  My iPod has an FM tuner in it, but maybe yours doesn't, and that's what you want the head unit for.  I can't see you playing CDs if you already have an iPod.  Don't head units already have an input jack for an external CD changer?  Couldn't you use that?  I've hooked up external sources inside car stereo equipment, but that was 20 years ago when I was broke and working with what I had.  I just soldered the jack along the signal path on the circuit board.  It was a dedicated set-up, so it was easy.  If you want to switch back and forth between the stereo, CD player, and iPod, then you need a way to disconnect the internal input to the final amp section, and connect your own signal (iPod) to the amplifier section.  Very easy back in the stone age, with the large traces on the boards.  Things are very tiny in there now with all the surface mount components and integrated circuits.

Specifically, what do you want to do?  I may be able to suggest something.

elacruze

:o
Quote from: 375instroke on February 09, 2010, 11:38:30 AM
What are you trying to do?  If you want to use an iPod, why do you need a head unit?  My iPod has an FM tuner in it, but maybe yours doesn't, and that's what you want the head unit for.  I can't see you playing CDs if you already have an iPod.  Don't head units already have an input jack for an external CD changer?  Couldn't you use that?  I've hooked up external sources inside car stereo equipment, but that was 20 years ago when I was broke and working with what I had.  I just soldered the jack along the signal path on the circuit board.  It was a dedicated set-up, so it was easy.  If you want to switch back and forth between the stereo, CD player, and iPod, then you need a way to disconnect the internal input to the final amp section, and connect your own signal (iPod) to the amplifier section.  Very easy back in the stone age, with the large traces on the boards.  Things are very tiny in there now with all the surface mount components and integrated circuits.

:o :eek2: :brickwall:

make head hert
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

OttawaCharger

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on February 07, 2010, 05:43:45 PM
Here is mine I did around 2 months ago. It fit just barely. The only problem I have with it is the remote will only work with the door open but it makes a clean look with it hidden. My old one used to be under the dash and I always hated it there.

You need a 12 volt IR repeater like the one found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsmith-HTHL-3-Automotive-rv-Repeater/dp/B000YO5TK8

I haven't tried that one personally but it gives you the idea.  There are a few out there for under $40.  You can put the remote receiver eye anywhere in the dash or just under the dash even.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Foreman72

Quote from: elacruze on February 09, 2010, 12:03:19 PM
:o
Quote from: 375instroke on February 09, 2010, 11:38:30 AM

:o :eek2: :brickwall:

make head hert

:lol: kinda...

heres what i'm trying to do...i would like to wire an 1/8th in jack into the signal flow of my original music master am radio...this way a retain the original radio and have external device options. 

like this
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/id17.html

thats what i believe mauve did...and i've been trying to find out how to do it :yesnod:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

375instroke

I'm confused here.  Do you have only the AM radio and stock dash speaker?  Do you ever listen to AM?  That radio only has one output, so you won't have stereo.  Why do you want it in the equation?  Do you want to look at the stock radio, but have hi-fi stereo come out of it?

Brock Lee

I have my factory AM/FM setup in my 69 fully functioning, then I have a secret audio system that powers my rear speakers and 2 hidden front speakers. I like the look of the factory system, and I know it sounds corny, but once in a while, I like to fire up to and listen to the factory system. Why? It reminds me of sitting in these cars when they were just regular cars and that is how the radios worked in them. Turn on some classic 70's rock and it is like a time machine to my youth.

elacruze

Quote from: Brock Lee on February 10, 2010, 04:57:46 AM
I have my factory AM/FM setup in my 69 fully functioning, then I have a secret audio system that powers my rear speakers and 2 hidden front speakers. I like the look of the factory system, and I know it sounds corny, but once in a while, I like to fire up to and listen to the factory system. Why? It reminds me of sitting in these cars when they were just regular cars and that is how the radios worked in them. Turn on some classic 70's rock and it is like a time machine to my youth.

I've been considering the same myself. If I could find a clean functioning Pioneer Super Tuner for under the dash... :scratchchin:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Foreman72

Quote from: 375instroke on February 09, 2010, 08:51:55 PM
I'm confused here.  Do you have only the AM radio and stock dash speaker?  Do you ever listen to AM?  That radio only has one output, so you won't have stereo.  Why do you want it in the equation?  Do you want to look at the stock radio, but have hi-fi stereo come out of it?

i have an am radio with a front speaker and two rear speakers. if there was a way to take another similarly designed modern radio and somehow combine the two that would be perfect...that is what mauve did...

i'd love to get something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-74-Mopar-Radio-Charger-Coronet-Belvedere-B-Body_W0QQitemZ300392808874QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45f0ce81aa
Eric "Foreman"

mauve66

sent you a pm with more info, hope it helps with what you want

Quote from: Foreman72 on February 10, 2010, 11:22:43 AM
Quote from: 375instroke on February 09, 2010, 08:51:55 PM
I'm confused here.  Do you have only the AM radio and stock dash speaker?  Do you ever listen to AM?  That radio only has one output, so you won't have stereo.  Why do you want it in the equation?  Do you want to look at the stock radio, but have hi-fi stereo come out of it?

i have an am radio with a front speaker and two rear speakers. if there was a way to take another similarly designed modern radio and somehow combine the two that would be perfect...that is what mauve did...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-74-Mopar-Radio-Charger-Coronet-Belvedere-B-Body_W0QQitemZ300392808874QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45f0ce81aa

i wish my radio had that much power in it :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

375instroke

Quote from: Foreman72 on February 10, 2010, 11:22:43 AM

Well there you go.  An original AM/FM goes for over $800.  This one's a bargain.