News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To What Extreme Should I Do This?

Started by TylerCharger69, February 04, 2010, 11:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

I'm almost prepared to start dismantling this car for a quick turnaround.  The deal is.....just like now, this car gets driven daily and after the "freshening" it will STILL be driven in the same fashion.  To what extent should I refurbish this car?  I'm not expecting to take this car to Barrett-Jackson or anything....maybe just a local car show and what not.  I do want the body to be pretty much flawless as with the engine bay, and door jambs, etc.  Should I replace the entire quarters?...or just use patch panels?.....I'm trying to save as much money as possible, but I don't want to compromise the value and integrity of the car in the process.

Go Hogs Go

It depends on what you find when you tear into it. I don't like doing things twice myself. If you know EXACTLY what you have and you don't think there are any major issues go for it. On the other hand if you think there may be some suprises (there always are) just keep driving it as is, save your money, and fix it the right way the first time. Just my :Twocents:
Go Hogs!

TylerCharger69

Oh...im eradicating all of the rust....im just trying to decide whether or not to put this thing on a rotisserie....floor pans are rust free...other than the trunk floor which will be replaced along with the dutchman panel and the support piece underneath.   There is a few rust issues on the lower quarters, and of course around the front and back windshields.  I need to do this quickly before it gets worse.  I have a complete new drivetrain for it...440 HP...transmission, and rear end that I'm putting in it, however the original 383  still runs great.  And like i said....it's a daily driver that gets at least 200 miles on it a day, so it wont be a garage king.

RCKSTR

Got a pic to post to help show exactly the condition?

TylerCharger69

Belgium R/T -68

If you don't want to go for a full resto then wait since it's running good as it is, would be a pitty to put a whole new drivetrain in it and "only fix" the rest.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

TylerCharger69

well...i dont want this car to be down for very long

SFRT

what keeps you awake at night? fix that.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FLG

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on February 05, 2010, 02:34:09 PM
well...i dont want this car to be down for very long

Id really take a good look at what you want done. Gather up all the parts, tools, and whatever else you might need. Then tackle it.

This way your not sitting around doing nothing, and the car has minimal down time. And just think rationally, and dont rush cause you want it done. For example, if your swapping the engine and the engine bay needs some work, maybe its dirty, maybe a respray...whatever. Do it than, dont just want to throw it back together.

Ive seen so many people with running cars, tear them apart and are left with nothing but a shell and parts all over the place. They dont have the cash to buy all the new parts so the car sits...and sits....and sits. You have a running, driving car. Make sure you have everything ready to go before you start, not only will the down time be minimal but it will keep you on top of things.

Thats what i did and keep doing with my car. It needed new floors and i wanted sub frame connectors. I waiting till i got the floor pans, and the cash...than i got it done. Im going to keep that same idea for the rest of the car. I will have my engine built and ready to go, all my front end parts, quarter panels, trunk floor, gas tank...everything. Than throw it in my buddies pickup, drive to the shop...and let them handle the rest.

ipstrategies

My charger was a running and drivable car  that I just in the last 3-4 months have taken it apart for rust repair.
I also know a few people who stripped car and now project stalled, and car is apart.

I started collecting tools, compressor, jacks stands the basics and look on craigslist for some of my best deals on tools.

I wrestled with a plan also and came to conclusion for me keep it Not running for the least amount of time (this keeps me motivated)

I would tear it down (interior, bumpers, fenders etc)  get the metal work done
(trunk area and rear quarter work) tank goes back in so car is movable again,

dash is out  for (firewall repairs) I have it all apart and getting dash, column etc  painted and ready to go back in so car is running a movable.
I have also cleaned up the heater/ac box which is out also.

As soon as I get the dash back together he should be done with metal work and will put the dash back in and I will bring it home (on a nice dry day)

Fenders, hood and trunklid can be prepped and when car gets home I am going to finish sanding and areas and Epoxy Prime it. I should be able to put it back together to drive while in primer until the Body shop can get it in.

Next part of plan is to rebuild spare Kframe and front end and pull drive line to clean and paint engine compartment and then the freshened engine/kframe.
This my plan and I will stick to it best as I can, I want to drive my Charger more this year then last, it is too much fun even short runs on a nice day.

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

b5blue

Rotisserie and quick do not go together, pick one.

TylerCharger69

well...i just about have everything i need......yes the engine bay will be repainted....yada yada yada.......I guess i was asking basically....if i really NEED to rotisserie since my floor pans are in excellent shape.   just lower quarter, dutchman panel, and around front and back window issues.  I'm removing the dash to make sure all of around the windshiels is rust free.......pretty much it id say.