News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it possible?

Started by TylerCharger69, February 01, 2010, 12:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

Like most of you know by now, I'm getting my list together of everything i need for my Charger.  I have noticed something though.  The front wheels....On the passenger side, the wheel is perfectly centered in the fender wheel opening. On the driver side, it appears to be more towards the front of the fender wheel opening.  Now...I've really examined closely, and nothing appears to be bent or tweaked in any way.  Now there IS a '68 fender on the driver side which I'm going to replace with a correct fender.  I thought I would add that in wondering if that may be a factor.  My question is the "K" frame.  Is it at all possible that the "K" frame may have somehow shifted on the driver side sometime during its life?  I haven't removed the "K" frame as of yet, and I was wondering if there is enough "play" for this to happen before the bolts are totally torqued.  It's really got me stumped.  You can visually see the difference...I'm going to say about 3/4 to 1 inch......Ace

Nacho-RT74

have you measured the wheel base lenght ?

I got the passenger side was around 3/4" off to rear on passenger side, but difference was on front hanger spring location on frame was HIT and bent ( last owner ).

Now, dunno if you can get that wind of stuff in front
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TylerCharger69

no....its got nothing to do with wheel base length....both rear wheels are where they should be....as is the passenger side wheel in the front.....and nothing is bent at all

HPP

It used to be an old drag racer trick to set up offset wheelbase lengths from one side to the other to reduce e.t. You need to check wheel base from side to side and compare to spec to see if one side is set forward and one side set back.

Otherwise, no, there is not enough play in the k frame mounts to allow it to slide an inch. Could be a short strut rod or the lower control arms are not seated equally.

TylerCharger69

Actually....this car was bought from the original owner, so it being a drag car is not at all the case.  I bought it from an old man on Thanksgiving Day of 1995 where it sat in the Arizona desert for 24 years in the same spot.  The wheel base checks out correct.  Strut rods are the stock pieces...and not bent at all.  I'm leaning toward an issue with the LCA if the "K" frame movement is not possible.  Maybe the shop that pressed my new bushings on  may have not done the driver side correctly....Oh well...I'll know when the car gets tore down.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on February 01, 2010, 01:33:24 PM
no....its got nothing to do with wheel base length....both rear wheels are where they should be....as is the passenger side wheel in the front

Sure it does, if a tape measure shows the center of one front wheel closer/farther from the center of the rear wheels it's a different wheelbase on one side than the other. Drop a plumb bob from the center of all four wheels, mark the ground and use your tape meaasure.

I believe there is enough adjustment in the upper control arm adjuster cams to make an inch difference in the wheelbase.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TylerCharger69

no...what im saying is that the rear axle is sitting where it is supposed to, along with both rear wheels, and the front passenger side is sitting where it's supposed to be.  The only thing that is off is where the front drivers wheel sits...Yes...there will be a difference in measurements because the driver side front wheel appears to be sitting too far forward.  Measuring wheel base isnt going to solve the problem.  I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.  I'm leaning toward the LCA assembly.  Like i said...there are no modifications....there are no bent components...unibody frame is straight as an arrow,  rear axle is perfectly square.  You can plainly see that the wheel assembly is too far forward.  Like I said...I'm leaning toward the LCA assembly, but was wondering also if the '68 fender might have slightly different characteristics than the 69 fender.  Everything looks to be in great shape underneath.  Also...the car was just aligned (at an alignment shop) it didnt make any difference, and i dont want to disturb the new alignment by moving the UCA adjustment cams.  But yes...i WILL get different measurements on each side, but the problem is something in and around the driver side suspension assembly

Nacho-RT74

well my wheel base lenght question was in reference to discar if is a BODY deal with fender or a front wheel deal :thumbs:

it looks is a wheel assembly deal then
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

TylerCharger69

yeah...i'm starting to think the shop may not have pressed the bushings on correctly on that one side, and I just didnt notice a difference when i reinstalled, or i didnt pay close enough attention when i picked up my LCAs from that shop.  Oh well....It's all coming apart anyway.

Nacho-RT74

nice... but just thinking out loud if that's true ( what is really posible ), how the strut rod gets the LCA ? are the front bushing  isolators damaged ? ( the ones at K member specially the front section )

bull

You could try using adjustable aftermarket strut rods . Adjustable strut rods can allow you to modify the wheelbase measurement side to side.

TylerCharger69

I couldn't stand it....i tore it down....apparently the shop where I had the bushings pressed on did not press the bushing itself in far enough...the shaft sat in there fine, but the bushing was I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch not pressed in all the way.....back to the alignment shop!!!  You'd think that in comparison of the two....they would've noticed that!!!  Well...it's fixed now....at least they were kind enough to make the adjustment at no charge, and admitted to their mistake.

bull

How the heck did they screw that up? :slap: