News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here a remake, there a remake. Hollywood running short on new ideas?......>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, January 30, 2010, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

Not saying there are no new movies with new ideas/premises, but d@mn, it sure seems like Hollywood is having to run back through their already-released-catalog to keep the people in the seats.

True Grit is up (could be cool as the Cohen Bros. are rumored to be at the helm), Red Dawn is in the pipe (with the Chinese attacking the NW this time around), a possible Total Recall redo, The Thing (if they touch John C. Big Trouble in Little China... :flame:), Romancing the Stone (I wonder if Mr. Gekko is in this one?), Slap Shot (the only cool Hanson brothers!), Conan (I bet they tap The Rock in the lead), Straw Dogs (I hate to see where they take the rape scene now), Highlander (there can only be one, right?), Masters of the Universe (but now it's Grayskull, and I bet there's no Dolph in this one), Clash of the Titans (I am Liam Neeson, I mean Zeus!)...

There's also the new Wall Street (can we get a little less Shia?), but that's technically a follow up.  :icon_smile_big:

Not to mention rehashing T.V. in the form of Transformers (again with the Shia!), G.I.Joe, *edit* The A-Team, etc.

As for new stuff, I did like The Hurt Locker.  :2thumbs:

And Moon is looking interesting (I dig quite a few of Sam Rockwell's movies).

But seriously, are we in the era of the remake/let's raid T.V. age of Hollywood?

Sorry for the ranting tone of this post, but after hearing about the Red Dawn redux I started doing some digging, and was a little stunned at the plethora of remakes on the way.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Khyron

Im fan of some, but not all. Like Star Trek I loved...

But yes, they are out of ideas, and as long as people give them the money, they will keep hashing out crap.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Khyron on January 30, 2010, 10:53:24 PM
Im fan of some, but not all. Like Star Trek I loved...

But yes, they are out of ideas, and as long as people give them the money, they will keep hashing out crap.

I'm with you on the new Star Trek.

I went into it expecting the worst, but was sad to see the end of the film, as my friend and I were totally into the remake.

I've seen some write ups about the possible follow up, and I'm eager to see where they go.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Khyron

O.k. between this and the other thread, I had to look, ready to crap your pants now guys?

All to be released this year

Fri, Apr. 30 A Nightmare On Elm Street
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179056/

Fri, May. 14 Robin Hood
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955308/

Fri, Jun. 11 The A-Team
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429493/

Wed, Nov. 24 Red Dawn
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/

Fri, Dec. 17 Tron: Legacy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi332136985/

Tron??????? REALLY TRON!!!!??!??!?!?!? o.k. that one looks cool!

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Todd Wilson

Khyron

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on January 30, 2010, 11:01:38 PM

I've seen some write ups about the possible follow up, and I'm eager to see where they go.

Khan Khan Khan i want Khan!!!!!!!!

wont happen, but one could dream, I was to see the Reliant all updated ... I loved that ship :)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd:

Khyron

Look slike it will be in 3-D? Im gonna need a barf bag for the cycles!

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Khyron on January 30, 2010, 11:39:47 PM
Look slike it will be in 3-D? Im gonna need a barf bag for the cycles!

Eek!  :eek2:

Maybe there'll be a non-3D IMAX version.

Not a fan of 3D personally.

Haven't seen Avatar yet (BTW, is it just me, or does James Cameron not like Marines? :scratchchin:), but I'm on the fence as to whether I'll see it in 3D.
Johnny's Herd:

bull

I don't think there's any lack of good ideas out there, I just think Hollywood is too afraid to gamble on many of them and wants to stick to stuff that already has a following.

Mike DC

Yeah, the reason is the money.  The pricetags of modern big summer movies have gotten so out of control that the studios don't wanna take risks like they used to.  

If they try to launch an all-new franchise and it completely bombs, they might get virtually nothing.  $25-50 million or less.   But the same bad movie, packaged up as a remake of an older known franchise . . . at least they get an easy $200 million (worldwide) payday from the legacy fans.  

Old Moparz

Hollywood has been remaking stuff for almost as long as they've been making stuff. Dracula was a silent flick, then redone over & over. Remakes can be cool, depending on who makes it, & who's in it. Some movies get ruined, but some are better. Here's an example, King Kong. The original is a classic & I didn't like the King Kong remake made in the 70's, but the last one was incredible.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

nh_mopar_fan

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Chris G.

Karate Kid with Jackie Chan is coming as well. Maybe 5 people will see it.  :rotz:

draftingmonkey

I quit going to the movies 4+ years ago when matinee's got over $9 near me.  Looking at the movies that have come out over the last few years, it doesn't look as though I have missed much as so many are remakes of earlier films. Unless you are into special effects which have much gotten better, I don't see any reason to spend my diminishing dollars paying mega million $ actors.

Silver R/T

that's why I don't go to movie anymore. Only once in a while if movie has new idea and looks interesting enough. Clint Eastwood movies are always great and good enough to watch over and over ie Gran Torino.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Todd Wilson

89MOPAR

Tron ?   hehehe,  i saw that at about 12 years old, I certainly don't think that was a big hit, but maybe with computer graphics, they can remake it cheap

Red Dawn !!    YEah !   WOLVERINES !  .   Cool , I am in the NW, c'mon you commie pinko chinkos... :icon_smile_big:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Mike DC

QuoteI quit going to the movies 4+ years ago when matinee's got over $9 near me. 

That one cracks me up.  Hollywood spends countless hours internally debating every stupid little nuance of the summer movie season's grosses, but they never think about this obvious factor. 

The ticket prices could hit $15 and they'd probably still be blaming their dropping sales on some other factor. 

Same with the timeframe of the DVD releases.  It used to be around 9 months after the theater debut, but now it's down to about 3.  How short will the gap become before they realize that this is making people stay home & wait?   

68charger383

Fast & the Furious 5 is a go, Watchmen 2, Star Trek 2!

Wondering if Russell Crow as Robin Hood will be any good. Don't like the guy, but he is a good actor.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

chargerboy69

Quote from: 68charger383 on February 06, 2010, 06:49:51 PM

Wondering if Russell Crow as Robin Hood will be any good. Don't like the guy, but he is a good actor.

I am surprised they are doing a sequel to Watchman.  I thought it was good, but not really good enough to keep the series going.  For the superhero movies I am waiting for Iron Man II due out this summer, The Green Lantern and also The Avengers with Captain America due out next summer.  They did give the go ahead for Superman the Man of Steel.

I am already wanting to see the new Star Trek.  They did a great job doing a prequel.  Unlike Lucas who totally destroyed the Star Wars franchise with poor scripts, crapping acting and Jar Jar Binks.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Mike DC

QuoteUnlike Lucas who totally destroyed the Star Wars franchise with poor scripts, crapping acting and Jar Jar Binks.

The acting was decent.  The script dialogue and the directing/editing of the actors was not. 

MoparManJim

Quote from: 68charger383 on February 06, 2010, 06:49:51 PM

They should even be doing another Watchmen film. The first one was down right bad enough  :brickwall: and should not even have been made to begin with.