News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XP29H9C273905 - 69 Body on a 08 Frame - General Lee Converstion

Started by JoeyGowdy, January 28, 2010, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on December 12, 2010, 10:43:46 AM
I can't even read this whole thread.  It just pisses me off.  THIS is why I don't come here that often.  All of you are bitching about John making the car he wants yet half the people here made theirs into a General Lee clone.  Get off your high horses.  It's his car, he can make it however the hell he wants. 

If you have time to make a 12 page thread bitching about it, you might need a life.
Perhaps you should try reading before making broad generalizations. Just a quick run through and I'm not seeing an overwhelming number of negative posts. Since most of the discussion about a particular car started on page 3 that gives a bit over 4 pages (about 100 posts) of discussion. Assuming each post was a different person (and that's not the case) we still haven't heard from 99% of the members.

Also, I'd be willing to bet we have less than 30 total General Lee owners on this site so that comes out to 4/10ths of a percent of our membership.

Maybe you're (partially) reading the wrong threads?

What pisses me off is someone who makes obviously misinformed, blanket statements that insult a large amount of people based on a cursory review of a thread or site. You didn't actually post your opinion about the car either - you just complained about people who did (which again, is a very small number of members). If you had instead provided your own point of view to further the discussion then the site would be better because of it.

As a general rule, I'm not very tolerant of bashing other people's cars. Yes, the owner can do whatever they want. Unfortunately, the more personalized a car gets then the more it's going to draw attention and the more people are going to question the choices involved. That's something the builder should expect and it's not limited to this site. I personally think this site is one of the more civilized out there (previous post excluded).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I don't want to get on a bash Jason bus, but did you post that in the thread you actually meant to Jason?  I ask because of it being fewer pages than you claim and after your post, I also went back through and reread everything.  I counted less than a dozen of what i would consider negative threads and only about three of them were overtly negative, the others were more of a "whatever you like but it's not for me" negativity.  At that it was only a few members who openly didn't like it.  Even the normally cynical folks like myself and Bull (sorry buddy but you know it's the truth :lol:) were complimentary.

SRT-68

Quote from: 68X426 on December 11, 2010, 11:26:59 PM
Quote from: Black Charger on December 11, 2010, 09:21:40 PM
why are you selling?

He's the world's most interesting man. But he can't adjust the quarter windows. :bawling:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,75940.0.html

(Joking! I love the car. It's so impressive what you accomplished :yesnod: )

LMAO  I still don't have them working properly yet...... Oh and thanks for reminding everyone.   :lol:

SRT-68

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 12, 2010, 12:04:46 AM
Hey SRT-68, how much does your charger weight at this time? Just wondering how much weight the conversion added over all.

Before I put on the supercharger, it was 4001 lbs. Might be an added 50lbs for the sc.

SRT-68

Quote from: Troy on December 12, 2010, 12:08:51 PM
Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on December 12, 2010, 10:43:46 AM
I can't even read this whole thread.  It just pisses me off.  THIS is why I don't come here that often.  All of you are bitching about John making the car he wants yet half the people here made theirs into a General Lee clone.  Get off your high horses.  It's his car, he can make it however the hell he wants. 

If you have time to make a 12 page thread bitching about it, you might need a life.
Perhaps you should try reading before making broad generalizations. Just a quick run through and I'm not seeing an overwhelming number of negative posts. Since most of the discussion about a particular car started on page 3 that gives a bit over 4 pages (about 100 posts) of discussion. Assuming each post was a different person (and that's not the case) we still haven't heard from 99% of the members.

Also, I'd be willing to bet we have less than 30 total General Lee owners on this site so that comes out to 4/10ths of a percent of our membership.

Maybe you're (partially) reading the wrong threads?

What pisses me off is someone who makes obviously misinformed, blanket statements that insult a large amount of people based on a cursory review of a thread or site. You didn't actually post your opinion about the car either - you just complained about people who did (which again, is a very small number of members). If you had instead provided your own point of view to further the discussion then the site would be better because of it.

As a general rule, I'm not very tolerant of bashing other people's cars. Yes, the owner can do whatever they want. Unfortunately, the more personalized a car gets then the more it's going to draw attention and the more people are going to question the choices involved. That's something the builder should expect and it's not limited to this site. I personally think this site is one of the more civilized out there (previous post excluded).

Troy

Hey Jason, I could have used you at sema! I got some serious abuse there.      Troy is right, I knew the moment I cut up the charger that I was going outside of accepted design/style bounds. I have no problem with somebody telling me they don't care for it......... or if they hate it.  Just let me know the reason. I have a thick hyde and can take negative comments. If I have made something that just sucks(I have built more than one :rotz:) I want to know.

That being said, going after people with general statements is not cool. This site is in fact one of the more civilized out there.

Ghoste

Do you feel like you were attacked in this thread though?

Brock Samson

isn't that what Dad did too?..  :shruggy:   :smilielol: funny, really funny!  :pity:

Anyhow, any more Pics? I like it and would like to see more, especially of the interior.  :popcrn:

HANDM

My questions are......

what about replacing an engine, tranny or rear end?  Will they come out without any trouble? And what about the cost of those components.

If I need to replace the tranny in  my 69 for instance, I can get a used one and get it rebuilt for less than a thousand. The tranny in my 97 Ram?? I don't even want to think about how much that's gonna be.

Other than that, I REALLY want one, although I wouldn't go hacking up my original 69 to get it.....or would I?

The70RT

Quote from: HANDM on December 12, 2010, 02:29:19 PM
My questions are......

what about replacing an engine, tranny or rear end?  Will they come out without any trouble? And what about the cost of those components.

If I need to replace the tranny in  my 69 for instance, I can get a used one and get it rebuilt for less than a thousand. The tranny in my 97 Ram?? I don't even want to think about how much that's gonna be.

Other than that, I REALLY want one, although I wouldn't go hacking up my original 69 to get it.....or would I?

Here is the link on the build - http://mopar5150.com/68charger.html Yeah trannys would probably be more to rebuild but there should be a lot of used ones for them. I'm glad my 2001 Ram trans went out at 28K because the warranty covered it.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68X426

We are civilized, yes we are. :lol:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

elanmars

Quote from: SRT-68 on December 12, 2010, 01:12:01 PM
why are you selling?

He's the world's most interesting man. But he can't adjust the quarter windows. :bawling:

yeah i noticed too about the quarter windows in the sale thread. what's the issue there, out of curiosity? they don't roll up or what?
LMAO  I still don't have them working properly yet...... Oh and thanks for reminding everyone.   :lol:
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

TUFCAT

This all started when Joey Gowdy posted!  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

ACUDANUT

Troy, I wouldn't let a Teenage kid that's into "Gothic" on this site.  Don't we have better standards here.  :rofl:

SRT-68

Quote from: Ghoste on December 12, 2010, 01:39:30 PM
Do you feel like you were attacked in this thread though?

No, not at all. Most posts in this tread were for more photos or legit questions. Even when guys get upset about cutting up a '68, they mellow out when they find out it was a 318 salvage title car.

SRT-68

Quote from: HANDM on December 12, 2010, 02:29:19 PM
My questions are......

what about replacing an engine, tranny or rear end?  Will they come out without any trouble? And what about the cost of those components.

If I need to replace the tranny in  my 69 for instance, I can get a used one and get it rebuilt for less than a thousand. The tranny in my 97 Ram?? I don't even want to think about how much that's gonna be.

From a service standpoint it is a '07 srt8 magnum. Only the skin is '68.  We have pulled the engine, trans and all front suspension on this car in less than 2 hours. As for costs, a used trans for this car in good working condition is less than a grand. A used longblock is about $2800 for the SRT8 and about $1k for a 5.7L.  

Where you really see the savings is in the performance aspect.  If you price out what it would cost to build a fuel injected 440, an overdrive trans, modern suspension, rack and pinion, big disk brakes all around, custom interior, heat/ac and so on. This price difference gets pretty small.
The best part is if you bang up your car that was built with a bunch of aftermarket suspension and brakes you will only one source to buy replacements. If you crash one of these conversions you go to the dealer and pick up parts.

On your last question. No, don't cut up your 69. This conversion is a perfect choice for a rusty charger. You go find a car with bad floors, bad framerails and no engine or suspension and start with that. That is the joy of this conversion, it lets you save a car that is no good to the resto guys.

SRT-68

Quote from: elanmars on December 12, 2010, 08:45:19 PM
Quote from: SRT-68 on December 12, 2010, 01:12:01 PM
why are you selling?

yeah i noticed too about the quarter windows in the sale thread. what's the issue there, out of curiosity? they don't roll up or what?
LMAO  I still don't have them working properly yet...... Oh and thanks for reminding everyone.   :lol:
The rear windows roll up fine but the top edge of them sticks out away from the seal. The gap is about 1/4 of an inch so when you close the front doors it causes a bind on the front windows. The fronts are power and with the rears all of the way up it makes the motors strain to put the front windows up. If you back the rears down a little then everything is fine.
  This all worked before I took the car in for body and paint. Now it is a problem.  Doors and windows have never been my strong point and I don't have a '68 body manual if there is such a thing. I will have to get Alex (rollingthunder) over here and just take everything apart and start over.

Rolling_Thunder

looks like I just got Volun-told.       

I know there is window alignment information in the FSM - let me look around - if we have to take the rears apart it's not that big of a deal -  i've done it in mine about...    4 times thus far       :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

DC_1

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 13, 2010, 11:18:19 AM

I know there is window alignment information in the FSM - let me look around - if we have to take the rears apart it's not that big of a deal -  i've done it in mine about...    4 times thus far       :2thumbs:

Well if there is specific factory info on the proper procedure, please do share!....I'd be interested.

Ponch ®

My 08 and the 74, straight up.

Oh wait...I don't completely own the 08 yet  :rotz:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

SRT-68

Quote from: Ponch ® on December 13, 2010, 02:40:24 PM

Lets talk more about the 74.

SRT-68

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 13, 2010, 11:18:19 AM

That is why your name came up, I know you have done it a few times.  And I volun-assumed

Rolling_Thunder

no problem -  i'll be around as usual - the guy is coming Wed to pick up the Satellite but other than that i'll have plenty of time -  If you could get the door panels off that would help.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

SRT-68

Thank you sir! I will pull the seats and door panels. Looking at the weekend if possible.

mauve66

you can still make the payments while their doing the conversion..........................
the more of these you guys get done the cheaper it'll be for us poor folks down the road..............
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

SRT-68

Quote from: mauve66 on December 15, 2010, 09:31:05 AM

you can still make the payments while their doing the conversion..........................
the more of these you guys get done the cheaper it'll be for us poor folks down the road..............

I have been overwhelmed by the response from this car. I am now looking at building 2 of these cars a year and selling them. I may just do all of the graft work and sell them as complete bodies so guys could finish them a little at a time. It would keep the buy-in lower than a turn key car.

So Ponch, lets get started on the '74.