News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XP29H9C273905 - 69 Body on a 08 Frame - General Lee Converstion

Started by JoeyGowdy, January 28, 2010, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

I'm going to start on those brakes - I'm going to talk you up on your offer of the machine shop - get those brackets made so I can get everything mounted up and rolling --- the electrical isnt a big deal to finish - then its just the P/S which is almost done - just need fittings and lines.     it WILL get done
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

WHITE AND RED 69

I think the car looks awesome! Great work on everything.  :2thumbs:  The wheels work with the paint and the look of the car. any interior pics?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on November 16, 2010, 07:48:00 PM
It's the best looking LX Charger in existence, bar none.

Not gonna argue that one... :yesnod:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

SRT-68

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on November 17, 2010, 03:41:34 PM
I think the car looks awesome! Great work on everything.  :2thumbs:  The wheels work with the paint and the look of the car. any interior pics?

Here are a few more.

SRT-68

Here is one with Linda Vaughn     Miss Hurst

Black Charger

That car is beautiful! The naysayers who think you "butchered" a 2nd gen Charger to make this project happen should at least take an LX for a test drive. The new Charger is MUCH better handling and the SRT8 could quite easily blow the doors off of any stock Charger ever made. Now, thanks to enthusiasts like SRT 68 and moparmagic, they have found a way to graft the much better looking 2nd gen body onto the LX. You definitely get the best of both worlds here. I would love to know what it would cost to have my SRT8 converted, because I could finally have my dream car that I could actually drive everyday.

This also begs a question: If a few guys could get together and build a car like this in a garage, why the hell can't Chrysler?

SRT-68

Quote from: Black Charger on November 17, 2010, 05:41:23 PM
That car is beautiful! The naysayers who think you "butchered" a 2nd gen Charger to make this project happen should at least take an LX for a test drive. The new Charger is MUCH better handling and the SRT8 could quite easily blow the doors off of any stock Charger ever made. Now, thanks to enthusiasts like SRT 68 and moparmagic, they have found a way to graft the much better looking 2nd gen body onto the LX. You definitely get the best of both worlds here. I would love to know what it would cost to have my SRT8 converted, because I could finally have my dream car that I could actually drive everyday.

This also begs a question: If a few guys could get together and build a car like this in a garage, why the hell can't Chrysler?

Plum floored creatiuons out of AZ will be making turn key cars for $55k also here is a link to the moparmagic car http://www.djscustommopars.ca/1968Charger.html

Troy

So, would it be just as easy to wrap AMD sheet metal around a new car instead of combining 2 cars? I'd rather preserve the originals (even the not-so-rare ones) if possible. The new donor(?) could still be titled. I suppose you could run into some issues titling it as the newer car since some of the safety features won't be there but that will depend on the state. As far as I know, it would be fine here in Ohio but we don't have a very strict inspection process.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Back N Black

Quote from: Black Charger on November 17, 2010, 05:41:23 PM

Most Muscle car guys are not concerned with better handling or blowing the doors of a new charger, nor would they want to mash the two car together. I will take my 69 the way it came out of the factory, 440 with a carb that sometimes runs a little rough until the engine gets hot, not the best handling or braking but when i am behind the wheel I'm smiling from ear to ear. When i want better handling and power i jump in my daily driver.  :Twocents:

DC_1

Mike DC

The reason Chrysler can't build the car that way is because there's half a million Federal regulations making it impossible.  MPG/aero demands, 5mph soft bumpers, crash safety, safety for whacking pedestrians, etc.  

The modern Challys and Ford Mustangs give us an idea of how close they could actually get to a modern 2nd-gen appearance today.  Similar, but still jelly-beaned compared to the original.

---------------------------------------------------------

The car in this thread did one thing right that I have not seen on the other old/new Charger projects - they kept the old car's upper dashboard shape.    

RIDELIKEHELL

I had an 05 Magnum R/T with the 5.7 and it was fun but I drove an 06 SRT8 Maggie while getting service done on mine...It was a rocket! Those big Brembos almost put you through the windshield. Nice CAR!
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

SRT-68

Quote from: Troy on November 17, 2010, 09:09:12 PM
So, would it be just as easy to wrap AMD sheet metal around a new car instead of combining 2 cars? I'd rather preserve the originals (even the not-so-rare ones) if possible. The new donor(?) could still be titled. I suppose you could run into some issues titling it as the newer car since some of the safety features won't be there but that will depend on the state. As far as I know, it would be fine here in Ohio but we don't have a very strict inspection process.

Troy

There will be repop complete bodies within a year and then it would be possible. Problem is you still need a million dollars worth of '68 parts to finish it. The best part about this graft is you can use a charger that has rotted frame rails, floors, inner fenders and so on because these areas are not needed for the graft. You can take a car that is way to far gone for a normal resto and bring it back to life. And you get a vin and title.

If there is a mopar hell then I will surely burn for cutting up a rust free '68 for this project, but I had to start with something straight and clean to do the prototype. On a good note, every single piece that was cut off of the '68 was given or sold to guys restoring chargers so nothing was wasted.

Hemidog

Respect for the mods!  :o  :cheers:

It looks like the fenders don't quite "reach" the rocker panels?

SRT-68

QuoteMost Muscle car guys are not concerned with better handling or blowing the doors of a new charger, nor would they want to mash the two car together. I will take my 69 the way it came out of the factory, 440 with a carb that sometimes runs a little rough until the engine gets hot, not the best handling or braking but when i am behind the wheel I'm smiling from ear to ear. When i want better handling and power i jump in my daily driver.  :Twocents:

The graft is not for everyone. You do lose the sound of the starter, the lope of a big cam, the sound of the wide open 4 barrell and the smell of the old Mopar. For me I just hate the lack of style with the new cars. I wanted a daily driver and my Charger to be the same car.

SRT-68

Quote from: Hemidog on November 18, 2010, 10:46:56 AM
Respect for the mods!  :o  :cheers:

It looks like the fenders don't quite "reach" the rocker panels?

You are right on that one. There are several fit and finish issues that I have to fix. The front fenders and front bumper are two of them. I also need to fix the front valence, the intercooler forced me to move the center support for the valence. I am still trying to make the right front window work better. One of the down sides of the graft is you are still stuck with '60s windows.

PocketThunder

Ya know what, i have a 69 SE parts car  :scratchchin:   :scratchchin:  How do i get this thing to Arizona..  :popcrn:

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

SRT-68

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 18, 2010, 11:06:34 AM
Ya know what, i have a 69 SE parts car  :scratchchin:   :scratchchin:  How do i get this thing to Arizona..  :popcrn:

Shipping is around $1500 and Ben at Plum floored has most of what the car is missing. This is the joy of this conversion, a car this bad can be saved.
You will be looking in the $40-$45k price range so bring your check book.

moparstuart

hey thats my car , stop it PT
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on November 18, 2010, 12:43:20 PM

hey thats my car , stop it PT
that reminds me, i still need to dig up some bucket seats with head rests.  :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

SRT-68

that reminds me, i still need to dig up some bucket seats with head rests.  :2thumbs:
[/quote]

Alex, aka rolling thunder had some for sale.

Black Charger

SRT 68,

What would this conversion cost if I provided Plum Floored with my pristine 2006 Charger SRT8?

Also, I noticed the pic of you with Miss Hurst Linda Vaughn. Did you know that Hurst makes an old school T-Handle shifter knob that is a direct swap for the stock knob in '05-'07 LXs? I replaced the one in my SRT because I thought the stock knob looked like it belonged in a minivan. There was someone on E-Bay selling them cheap awhile back, I think I paid around $20 shipped.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Black Charger on November 18, 2010, 05:15:44 PM
SRT 68,

What would this conversion cost if I provided Plum Floored with my pristine 2006 Charger SRT8?

I know the LX cars aren't exactly setting the car collector world on fire, but I'd hate to see a pristine SRT 8 get cut up. It'd probably be cheaper to find a wrecked LX donor car.

Having said that, can I have your SRT hood and front fascia? :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Charger-Bodie

My usual problem with these conversions is the flat faced wheel.....Yours pulls it off because the design of the spokes gives the illusion that they arent like that even though they are still in that range of offset.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

SRT-68

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 18, 2010, 05:24:19 PM
Quote from: Black Charger on November 18, 2010, 05:15:44 PM
SRT 68,

I know the LX cars aren't exactly setting the car collector world on fire, but I'd hate to see a pristine SRT 8 get cut up. It'd probably be cheaper to find a wrecked LX donor car.

Having said that, can I have your SRT hood and front fascia? :icon_smile_big:

You would be better off selling the parts from the SRT8 that aren't needed for the swap and then contact them. The lx donor is not as easy to find in good condition. His is a known straight and good running car. Hail damage and theft recovery are your next best bets.