News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How too make a 74 handle better???

Started by Paul-ish, January 26, 2010, 10:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul-ish

Looking for idea's to help a friend's car handle better.
This will be a street car...no drag racing and not protouring.
But it drives like a cruise linner and needs help.
I can weld no problem and would like to keep this kinda cheap.
Any imput would help.

Thanks Paul

Nacho-RT74

what engine does it have ?

based on simply stock parts and if SB, upgrade to BB pieces:

BB T bars ( .096" )

BB sway bar ( 15/16 )

PROPPER shocks... KYB GR2s are nice. I wish we had more Performance options in front on a plug and play job. Rear we have KYB Gas-A-Just

Crossmembers and springs mount replacements. No need for aluminium pieces, Poly pieces are available now and hard and soft enough. IMHO the isolation is good for the unybody health

Then if you have already a BB car, upgrade for similar pieces on a  simply a "next step" pieces setup is just that enough. Remember they are tired and stressed.

add a rear sway bar is a GREAT improvement too
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

HPP

Update the alignment while your at it. The OEM specs were for skinny, hard, bias ply tires. Go for 0 to -.5 degree camber, as much postive caster as possible up to 5*, and 1/16 total toe in.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: HPP on January 27, 2010, 01:39:02 PM
Update the alignment while your at it. The OEM specs were for skinny, hard, bias ply tires. Go for 0 to -.5 degree camber, as much postive caster as possible up to 5*, and 1/16 total toe in.

:scratchchin:

interesting! never thought on that before! and SOUNDS LOGICAL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Corellian Corvette

First make sure your existing parts are up to snuff. I've seen people put all manner of "handling" mods on cars with worn out ball joints, loose idler arms, missing control arm bushings, tired torsion bars, etc. then wonder why the car doesn't drive well when they add a big old sway bar and wheels.

Get you stock suspension working properly before you modify anything. You might be surprised.

Also don't forget your tires. They have a TON of affect on Handling and Breaking. Don't be surprised if you spring for an XV motorsports full-on kit, and wonder why the car doesn't handle well with your 15in Magnum wheels and 70 series tires :)

+1 on a good allignment. Find a shop that knows how to work on old cars. Your local shop will just setup your car to the "book" specs which are designed for thinner, taller, narrower wheels. If you have even a decent set of wheels/tires that are wider, or lower profile, the stock setup will not be good.

Here's the order I would do it:

Level 1 would clearly be a good front sway bar, and KYB shocks all around. That will help.
Level 2, if you want the car to *drive* better (which may be different from "handle" better) would be to swap to a Firm Feel Stage 2 steering box and a Fast Ratio Pitman Arm. That will give you a fast, tighter, more modering feel to the steering. You may find this to be the best modification beacuse on a day-to-day basis the car will feel more responsive with less slop.
Level 3 - Upgrade the rear springs to the Hemi Springs, Put .96 or greater Torsion bars on the front, add a rear sway bar.
Level 4 - More sophisticated suspension parts to reduce unsprung weight: Tubular upper control arms, Tubulart lower control arms, aluminum strut rods, Firm feel tie rods. Weld in a set of good subframe connectors.  
Level 5 - You're talking high-end XV stuff (which is good stuff with solid engineering) but require some extensive welding to make work correctly.  

For a good street car, that you want to drive well and handle capably - I would do up to level 3 + subframe connector.

Paul-ish

Thank alot guys...this give me some good idea's of where to begin. Will take a good look at what's currently on the car and go from there.

Paul :cheers:

SG1022

Great thread, and thanks again CorelVette