News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your Disaster Preparation?

Started by Smokey Bear, January 22, 2010, 01:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey Bear

I live in a major earthquake zone, and after seeing the disaster in Haiti we finally decided to get a plan together. So far we have a crank radio/light, two chords of firewood and an arsenal. Ok, ok we already had this stuff, but now we are looking at water storage and a stock of canned goods. There are plenty of squirrels and groundwater around so we are probably in pretty good shape overall if we also throw in a decent first aid kit. If it comes down to it, I have a portable welder and enough steel plate and flat black paint to armor up the Charger and bust out of the wasteland.

In all seriousness though, I don't consider my self paranoid but this latest event was the trigger to finally do some disaster preparation that we have talked about in the past, including a plan to meet up at designated locations and contact people out of the area to leave messages. Maybe its because this one was in our back yard? 

Todd Wilson

After the disaster you wont have your arsenal...........they'll come around and take it like they did in New Orleans during Katrina.

Todd

chargerboy69

We have taken a room in our basement, and turned it into a food storage room.  Over the last year we have filled many shelves with canned goods, paper goods and a couple freezers stocked with meat and flour.  The wife and I looked on several Mormon websites and looked to see what they stored, as Mormons believe in having a years worth of food storage.  We also have a very large gas generator, gas storage and first aid supplies.  It takes some time to build up the food storage, but if you just buy a couple extra things each week it does add up.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

stripedelete

When I was very young we had a room in the basement, under a cement porch, that always had canned goods and water in it.  But we weren't allowed to go in or take anything out.  It didn't dawn on me until I was in my 40's t that it was our fall-out shelter.

Everything goes full circle.

skip68

The wife and I looked on several Mormon websites and looked to see what they stored, as Mormons believe in having a years worth of food storage.  [/quote]

Wow! You mean Mormon's surf the web  :scratchchin: :shruggy: :scratchchin: Things you learn everyday!  :D :D

Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mauve66

Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 22, 2010, 07:54:50 AM
We have taken a room in our basement, and turned it into a food storage room.  Over the last year we have filled many shelves with canned goods, paper goods and a couple freezers stocked with meat and flour.  The wife and I looked on several Mormon websites and looked to see what they stored, as Mormons believe in having a years worth of food storage.  We also have a very large gas generator, gas storage and first aid supplies.  It takes some time to build up the food storage, but if you just buy a couple extra things each week it does add up.

just make sure you rotate the stock so you don't have to throw things out when they expire
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

b5blue

Having built a Mormon Church I can tell you they believe in being ready! The whole thing was built to 2X spec. with double everything. 2X the thickness of steel placed at 1/2 normal spacing, extra storage and crawl spaces everywhere 3/4 plywood under the sheet rock, sound dampening everywhere massive over build. In FL. we gear up for hurricane season every year, LOTS of water and batterys and non perishable food and well stocked first aid supply's. Don't forget a way to use the bathroom also....5 gallon buckets with plastic liners and the paperwork to last, handy wipes, lots of flashlights and a deck or two of cards. Lastly a portable TV is a new problem I'm pissed off about...the new DTV's are crap so far, I hope they make better ones quickly as my 3 D.C. ones are now worthless.

greenpigs

I'll have some ammo and hotwheels for whoever finds my corpse.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Rolling_Thunder

Generator
Case of MREs x 12
AR15 Assault Rifle x 5
Handguns x 9
Other Rifles x 12
Exit Plan
Military Training
Tools and Parts for Vehicles
Water 5 Gallons x 20
Radio
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Daytona R/T SE

Mormons believe in having a years worth of food storage.

Good to know. Now I don't have to stock up on anything, I just need to pick out which of my neighbors are Mormons and....

:2guns:

69 OUR/TEA

Make sure you use sta-bil in the generators gas!!!!! Could end up like that guy with the fishing boat!!!!

squeakfinder

EMP is what I wonder about. Allthough they might not be effected, but what about solid state ignitions and computer controlled car's when there's an electromagnetic pulse?

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/emp-101-part-iv-faraday-cage/
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Chatt69chgr

I ran across this site while surfing once:

http://www.survivalblog.com/

I'm not a survivalist myself.  I have heard about the mormons and their years supply of food.  Heard about it from some folks I worked with at Sperry Rand in Huntsville, AL.  Sperry had a location at Salt Lake City, UT and some of our guys had worked and lived there and knew mormons.  The mormons will happily share their knowledge on this as they figure that's one less person who will be trying to take their stuff if something bad happens. 

I do think it makes a lot of sense to do some preparation in case of a disaster or interruption in consumables like food, power, water, etc.  A stock of food, water containers, a way to stay warm, some kind of personal protection, and medical supplies, etc.   

Brock Samson

Smokey Bear

I'm glad I asked! I've started a list of all the Mormon households in my neighborhood and bought more ammo  :rofl:

charger_mike75

BB1

Delete my profile

ChgrSteve67

Thanks for the post.

Gona start making a list of all of the Mormans and Morman Churches in my area so I know where to get supplies after the big one hits.

Neal_J

Living in the middle of the SF Bay Area & having experienced many quakes as a native Californicators, scared us to do what's probably a better-than-average job preparing:

Replaced our Victorian's old brick foundation with oversized concrete & added shearwalling
Stored a week's worth of MRES & water for everyone
Extensive disaster supplies (tarps, rope, cookware, 1st aid kit, camping gear) stored in detached garage
Disaster kits under each bed (containing flashlight, crowbar, clothes & shoes)
Disaster supplies backpack in primary vehicles
Installed 5,000 watt generator with cutover switch
Walkie-talkies dedicated exclusively for emergency communication
Discussed emergency plan with family including (1) evacuation plan, (2) meeting spot, and (3) out-of-area contact
Copies of key documents stored (hard copies & on-line)
Emergency cash stored
Wife, teenage kids & I took class to become certified disaster service workers
Taugh wife & kids how to shut off utilities; wrench attached to gas meter

Yet to do:

Dig well for back emergency water & fire protection (fire = primary cause of 1906 SF quake destruction)
Obtain HAM radio licence (take test next month)
Buy a gun for security

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: everything but the freeze plugs?..  :shruggy:

Neal_J

Well, good question Dave - if a bit off-topic.

I want to do three things to the car this year:  (1) rebuild the 318 (which has two drippy freeze plugs that limit my travel and at least one burnt exhaust valve) about which you refer, (2) replace the front brakes to ease brake pedal pressure (haven't decided whether to do discs or just add a booster to the drums - but it now requires two feet to stop from freeway speed) and (3) repair the large dent I incurred to the passenger quarter panel.  The dent occurred a month ago when I backed out of the garage and caught some large plastic bins (temporarily stored & forgotten on the side of the car) between the quarter panel and the garage door frame.  I haven't been able to look at the car without crying since.  That's the plan to get things in shape so we can drive & enjoy the car, Dave.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming...

chargerboy69

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on March 03, 2010, 01:45:49 PM
Thanks for the post.

Gona start making a list of all of the Mormans and Morman Churches in my area so I know where to get supplies after the big one hits.

The Mormons sure are taking a beating in this thread.  ;)

Seriously though, we have found several good Mormon websites with useful food storage information.  My wife has started vacuum sealing all items going into the freezer, the food will last much longer.  I am very proud of her, I bet she has ten months worth of food and drink stored away.

Or just skip the storage, and if sh!t hits the fan, just find an Osmond or anyone that attended BYU.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Khyron

I moved to a place thats not on a fault line ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.