News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger identification

Started by oz_charger, January 21, 2010, 06:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz_charger

Hi,

Firstly Happy New Year to all on this forum.

Secondly, I have a couple of questions in regards to a Charger I am looking to possibly buy, its a 68 R/T according to the Vin and fender tag with a 4spd and air-conditioning, the seller has told me that:

1. There are no numbers stamped in the radiator support panel and the trunk lip because its and early build car - Dec 1967
2. Although a 4spd, it does not have a Dana because it has air-conditioning, and all air-conditioned R/T's had 8 3/4"

Can anyone shed some light on this, especially the numbers. Your help as ever is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

tan top

happy  new  year to you also Tom  :cheers:
think there should be numbers stamped even on a early 68 model , not vin but sequence number that would match the fender tag , but i'm no expert  :shruggy: :scratchchin:
440 with a 4 speed also  :scratchchin: wasn't there a debate about if that was available with A/C ,   or have i remembered it wrong  ! :slap:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Sinister68

There should be numbers on the radiator support and trunk opening.  Mine has them and was built in Sept of 67.
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

oz_charger

bull

Something is fishy for sure. I've never heard of a Charger not having body stampings unless those panels have been replaced. Have you seen the VIN? Better yet, any pics of it?

As far as the Dana, that's a non-issue. You could get a 4 speed R/T without a Dana and in fact I believe you had to order the Danas. And although there has been debate as to whether you could get A/C with a 4 speed it seems to have been proven that you could have, albeit it very rare.

Nice car but at that price there's way too many ifs to buy it with confidence IMO. In its condition it's approaching Hemi car prices, at least in US dollars.

Dans 68

Lets see...by the fender tag the car had a build date of October 31, 1967, which means it had an Inland shifter. The photos show a Hurst stick.  :scratchchin:  The fender tag looks a bit off as far as the row spacings. A lot of questions there. And why does the ad state a 3-speed auto transmission? And a 5.2 L engine? One to look at very closely if you are really interested.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

oz_charger

I'm not too worried about the engine/gearbox in the ad as its a field that needs to be filled when you place the ad  and would have limited choices (no car in Australia ever had a factory 440).

However, he has confirmed that the motor is not original and he has no idea about gearbox/diff. My feeling is that this is a dash out of a rusted out R/T shell transplanted into another body, hence no numbers anywhere and a repro Fender Tag. I think I'll stay away from this one and keep looking.

Thanks for all your help.

Rayzor

Does the vin numbers and fender tag have the little star shaped rivets? That could be a clue something has changed if they are not.

bull

Quote from: Rayzor on January 21, 2010, 11:20:17 PM
Does the vin numbers and fender tag have the little star shaped rivets? That could be a clue something has changed if they are not.

The fender tags weren't riveted but the screws in that tag are wrong too.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bull on January 21, 2010, 07:52:08 PM
Something is fishy for sure. I've never heard of a Charger not having body stampings unless those panels have been replaced. Have you seen the VIN? Better yet, any pics of it?

As far as the Dana, that's a non-issue. You could get a 4 speed R/T without a Dana and in fact I believe you had to order the Danas. And although there has been debate as to whether you could get A/C with a 4 speed it seems to have been proven that you could have, albeit it very rare.

Nice car but at that price there's way too many ifs to buy it with confidence IMO. In its condition it's approaching Hemi car prices, at least in US dollars.

I agree with Bull that something is fishy but for a different reason...
All sources indicate A/C was not available with 440 four speed. You'd have to have rock solid documentation (broadcast sheet, window sticker, original invoice and order form) to prove otherwise. Unless they are present, I think the fender tag is suspect too.
The Dana was not an option... it was required with the four speed tranny. I don't know how or why you'd order an 8.75 behind a 440 4 speed.

this car is too perfect - desireable year and model, desireable drivetrain, desireable color, interior and stripe, A/C as an option-

I agree with Bull; there are a lot of ifs that need to be checked out,
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

rooks

Tom ...

the link you supplied is no longer active. Can you give us a rundown on what it was? (Colour, location etc) Just so we here in Oz can stay away form it!

Cheers.

PS: Was it a Bronze type colour? Black R/T stripe?

oz_charger

Black/Black 68 "R/T" in Melbourne, supposedly 4spd with Air Con and a 8 3/4", has been in Unique Cars for the last few months for $57K

maxwellwedge

rooks

Good to know ... thanks.

The one I'm referring to (it's actually Gold), is now on AMCS, for $55k. He is now listing it as a "replica", but had it on eBay and a few other places for months trying to flog it with no mention of it not being original.

oz_charger

The one for $55K is here in WA, I have seen it and its not good, you can clearly see a weld/repair line running the full length on the RHS quarter panel where they must have decided that replacing the whole panel was a lot of work so they replaced the bottom half only. You can also see the odd repair here and there i.e. bog (its what we call bondo down under), its a 383 car and definitely not worth the asking price

rooks

Yeah I've read thread about it on Hemi6packs with someone stating it's a bit rough. For the price he's asking, you could find one in much better shape.