News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you change the shift points on a Mopar B-Body running a TF 727 Tranny?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, January 17, 2010, 03:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

What has to be done to change shift points on a 727 tranny on 69 Roadrunner?
« on: Today at 12:59:14 PM » Quote Modify  

I have a torque flight 727 in my 69 Roadunner with 3.91 gears.

I want to adjust my 1/2 and 2/3 shift points for the car to shift around 6200 rpm and currently it shfits around 5500 rpm.  I obviously am not a mechanic, but I would think that some adjustment needs to be made to the the tranny itself to change the shift points on a tf 727 B-Body Mopar.

How exactly does one change the shift points, as a local mechanic told me it is done by changing the length of the throttle cable (or something like that not positive exactly what he said) but it had nothing to do with going inside the 727 tranny itself so now I am curious how this is done?

Thanks in advance.     :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

maxwellwedge

You can put in a manual valve body - in the old days they reversed the 1st and Drive position - maybe they have different ones now? Not sure how much more RPM you can get out of adjusting the kick-down linkage.

mauve66

if it has the stock lifters, they will float before you get to 6 grand anyway
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: mauve66 on January 17, 2010, 06:26:45 PM
if it has the stock lifters, they will float before you get to 6 grand anyway

From the factory where did a stock , 1968, 69, 70, Dodge Charger RT with its 440 and 727 tranny shift at, back in the day?

I have stock lifters for now, but soon will be cammed up with aftemarket lifters then. 

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Cooter

Step one: Pull shifter down into LOW 1
Step two: Hold LOW 1 Till desired shift point, then shift
Step three: Hold LOW 2 Till desired shift point, then shift... :smilielol:

Nah, seriously, it is alot of BS to get it to shift when in Drive..Gotta mess around with the governor and that is tricky sh*t..One wrong move and it won't come out of first till all the rods are hangin' out the side of that 440...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Cooter on January 17, 2010, 06:43:38 PM

Nah, seriously, it is alot of BS to get it to shift when in Drive..Gotta mess around with the governor and that is tricky sh*t..One wrong move and it won't come out of first till all the rods are hangin' out the side of that 440...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Good post Cooter, and that certainly will do, but REALLY wish my 69 runner was not a column shift car  :brickwall: (although I do like the bench seat).

Regarding the Governor, here is an interesting response I received in the engine/transmission section here and still would like to know where a stock 68-70 Dodge Charger RT Shifted at in WOT, while in Drive.  :2thumbs:

HERE's the governor post:

simply:

http://www.aandatrans.com/Departments/Chrysler-727-Trans/Governor-Kits.aspx

*edit* guess i should explain more

this will raise your shift point, but dependent upon throttle pressure and your placement of the accelerator pedal due to pressure placed upon it by said foot at different driving conditions will truly determine where your vehicle shifts at.

i.e.  governor kits get you in the ball park if all things are equal, but each driver drives differently so shift points are relative to the driver and trans mods.

jk may chime in on this as he has messed with governors alot more than i have, but these puppies are made for specific tolerances.  any "shade tree" modifications can cause "booms

maxwellwedge

Stockers probably shifted in the 4800-5300 range - if you can trust the factory tach.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Cooter on January 17, 2010, 06:43:38 PM

That'll work too!

John_Kunkel

The chart below shows the factory shift points by road speed, use a pocket calculator or whiz wheel to determine the approximate rpm.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.