News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

finally some paint

Started by dodgey68, January 10, 2010, 09:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dodgey68

Ok just questioning the cooling side of things,,as I have never had a big block and most in here does,I read quite a few post and I am a not sure which way to go,,,,,,, do I put twin thermo fans (pullers) on the inside of radiator,, or a 7 blade clutch fan and make a shroud to suit,, I have an alloy radiator, I hate have over heating problems so I'll make sure first time,,,,,,,  just acquiring the parts before I get the engine,,
Thank you
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

WHITE AND RED 69

What size radiator do you have now?   

Get a good flowing water pump and housing and make sure the water passages have a big enough opening for a good flow. Make sure to get the right water pump, with my a/c the high flow pump didn't work out right but if you don't plan on a/c the milodon high flow pump is a great item. 

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60599.0.html

If you can keep the clutch fan go with that along with a good shroud. If needed you could always add pusher fans on the front to help out if any issues pop up. I had to go with puller electric fans because of my pulley setup but I never had any cooling problems with the clutch fan with a shroud I used to run.

Sometimes it takes a couple tries with getting the right thermostat. I played with a couple high flow ones but had the best luck with a standard 180. It was even cooler with a 160 but the 180 worked fine. Maybe it was because of my a/c that gave me extra problems but the 180 is a good all around temp.

Also with your 727 maybe run an external cooler so the bottom of the radiator isn't adding any extra heat to the coolant. Isn't necessary but every little bit helps.

:cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

fy469rtse

Yep go with what white and red 69 said, stock pump , you can have the aluminium housing but the original pumps are the best, ma mopar new what she was doing , engine driven fan with good large core radiator and shroud , you can put thermo fans In front of radiator for the times when your stuck in traffic in heat
Have a look at water pump testing thread on here, surprising results and helped me , last thing I would have thought of looking at , because I bought all new and supposed to be better

dodgey68

Ready to go in , and in ,, disregard the stickers on the covers , its a 440

WHITE AND RED 69

Looking real good!  :drool5:  So what's the specs on the new motor?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

lexxman

That looks great. :2thumbs:
Is the engine stock?

hemi-hampton

Finn

Those lights look great!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

dodgey68

I made  a new bracket to get alt down a lot lower

fy469rtse

how ? much clearance did that give you pump ,
? if you have the stock pumpon there , good idea ,
:2thumbs: might redo that myself, found everything a bit tight there with leads ,dist ,fuel lines wiring etc  :popcrn: :popcrn:

dodgey68

Quote from: fy469rtse on June 12, 2014, 07:22:01 PM
how ? much clearance did that give you pump ,
? if you have the stock pumpon there , good idea ,
:2thumbs:might redo that myself, found everything a bit tight there with leads ,dist ,fuel lines wiring etc  :popcrn: :popcrn:

Electric fuel pump going on, need more pressure/fuel for those 2 4barrels

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 04, 2014, 05:12:41 PM
What size radiator do you have now?  

Get a good flowing water pump and housing and make sure the water passages have a big enough opening for a good flow. Make sure to get the right water pump, with my a/c the high flow pump didn't work out right but if you don't plan on a/c the milodon high flow pump is a great item.  

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60599.0.html

If you can keep the clutch fan go with that along with a good shroud. If needed you could always add pusher fans on the front to help out if any issues pop up. I had to go with puller electric fans because of my pulley setup but I never had any cooling problems with the clutch fan with a shroud I used to run.

Sometimes it takes a couple tries with getting the right thermostat. I played with a couple high flow ones but had the best luck with a standard 180. It was even cooler with a 160 but the 180 worked fine. Maybe it was because of my a/c that gave me extra problems but the 180 is a good all around temp.

Also with your 727 maybe run an external cooler so the bottom of the radiator isn't adding any extra heat to the coolant. Isn't necessary but every little bit helps.

Yes on the external auto cooler, fan is close to rad so. Should work quite well, have you a pic of the old shroud you had,,,,..

:cheers:
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on June 04, 2014, 11:07:01 PM
Looking real good!  :drool5:  So what's the specs on the new motor?

30 thou over, 6pak pistons, closed chamber heads, 10-1 comp , bit of a cam,
Enough for some fun

dodgey68

valve covers,,
the orange i have to give back, and slighlty weeped oil onto the exhaust, so i took them off, purchased a set of alluminium ones,  there just a shit fit cheep  set,  holes didnt line up nicly, (didnt know that when i got them) and i got hold of a set of edelbrock ones with no name on them,

dodgey68

Been cruising around a bit in this now ,, the 440 is a lot better than a tired 318.  The get up and go is sweet  And it ain't that bad on fuel with the duel 4 barrels either

dodgey68

went on a drive with a fair few others,,,,, jeez I love the  new engine ,,, its such a different car to drive, and passing power,,,  :drive:

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

dodgey68

a mate took some pictures of some mopars in my shop, and my car

JB400

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

dodgey68

went on tour with my mates with this hot 460ci xb coupe

Baldwinvette77

Thats awesome, Hey, i heard they only ever made about 22,000 falcon coupes total, from 1972 to 1979, Is that really all????

dodgey68

I went on a club drive with a few mates,, had a friend with a helicopter gopro thing , first go,, pretty cool

http://youtu.be/WxVgp4wMLdA               check out  1:16   and 2:11

oddis

it looks like a million dollars,  :cheers:  are the wheels from the new charger ?   :2thumbs:    if you ask me the orange valve covers were perfect  :scratchchin:

dodgey68

went on a run with a few others,

dodgey68