News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody ever thought about this?

Started by TylerCharger69, January 09, 2010, 07:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

I've often wondered...not only with Chargers, but any car for that matter....why didn't car companies put a fuel filler on both sides of the car instead of just one?.....It would sure solve a lot of "pulling up to the gas pump" problems!!!   Besides I kinda think two filler caps on these 2nd gen Chargers would be kinda cool!!   Just a thought

b5blue

To save $$$, 2nd Gen Charger lost the cool pass through rear seat to save 6 bucks a car I read somewhere....how cool would that be!

FLG

Us 3rd gen guys have it behind the rear plate...love being able to pull up anywhere!

1969chargerrtse

I think twin gas caps was an idea that was killed for the 2nd gen due to cost.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

kab69440

Let's not forget that twin fillers on a 2g car would make the trunk absolutely worthless. You wouldn't be able stuff a late model compact spare in there. :lol:
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Lennard

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on January 09, 2010, 07:57:46 PM
I've often wondered...not only with Chargers, but any car for that matter....why didn't car companies put a fuel filler on both sides of the car instead of just one?.....It would sure solve a lot of "pulling up to the gas pump" problems!!!   Besides I kinda think two filler caps on these 2nd gen Chargers would be kinda cool!!   Just a thought

I think it will hold a late model compact spare. ;)

Ghoste

I suspect most people would just use the driver side one anyway.

suntech

i think the filler cap on the 2 gen is cool as shit, but................ putting 2 of them is to me kinda like putting 2 antennas on a car, with just one radio, or 2 ignition keys etc. :shruggy:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

68charger383

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on January 09, 2010, 07:57:46 PM
I've often wondered...not only with Chargers, but any car for that matter....why didn't car companies put a fuel filler on both sides of the car instead of just one?.....It would sure solve a lot of "pulling up to the gas pump" problems!!!   

If I remember corretly, almost all of the older cars that I owned had the gas filler behind the rear license plate. The newer cars have the gas fills on the sides.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

jaak

Quote from: FLG on January 09, 2010, 09:17:23 PM
Us 3rd gen guys have it behind the rear plate...love being able to pull up anywhere!

That is handy, isn't it!

Jason

Arthu®

Lennard on the XJ6 and XJS's it's actually a twin tank set up and you would have to fill up both and you can switch them by a switch on the dash. The same goes for the Mini (I believe MK1's) that could be ordered with twin tanks.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Hemidog

A related question; Why does the the side differ from e and b-bodies?

jb666

Quote from: FLG on January 09, 2010, 09:17:23 PM

Exactly!! That's the best of both worlds.. And it's what I always loved about my 'Maro's...

jaak

Quote from: Hemidog on January 10, 2010, 05:14:31 PM

Ive wondered that too, not only that if you buy a used gas cap on eBay, watch out alot of folks will put a challenger flip top cap and list it as a charger, If looking a pic of it, the letters 'FUEL' will be upside down in relation to a charger cap.

Jason

Ghoste

Quote from: Hemidog on January 10, 2010, 05:14:31 PM

I'm sure it's just the stylists preference.

TylerCharger69

Well...of course i wasnt talking about the ones behind the license plates.....or not just Mopars either.....It was just a thought i had when i was waiting my turn to pull up to a fuel pump and a toyota slid in there in front of me coming in the other direction....yes....it pissed me off....but then i had to pull around the parking lot....back up....and go back around to wait for another pump to come available....and i thought..."Dammit!!!....if i had a filler on the other side....i wouldnt be waiting!!!"   That's how the thought came in to play.....damn those smug assclowns in their import POSs

bull

Two or three guys have alluded to this but no has actually come right out and said it: The 2nd gen Charger was originally designed to have two fill caps and tubes but it never flew due to the afore-mentioned cost and space issues.

Chris 69

Attached are pictures from Kool April Nites here in Redding (CA) last year. It looks to be the same car as in the pictures Lennard posted.

The dual caps look OK, but I would expect each cap to be hinged from the front if the factory decided to make standard or an option in 68-70.

TylerCharger69

isnt a Challenger fuel cap reversed??

Lennard

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on January 11, 2010, 06:24:47 PM
isnt a Challenger fuel cap reversed??

Yes, Challenger:

'69 Charger:

Mounting is different though:

'69 Charger: