News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Daytona Bobby Allison Racer - Mecum Auction

Started by maxwellwedge, January 08, 2010, 09:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingman(22)

Doug,
I spoke to the owner on Friday about the car. He said we would talk after the auction and he would give me the status. If this car sells for $210,000.00 or more I am going to the bank and get the money to do my Hylton car. I should be able to get 3 or 4 hundred thousand for a real car.
I have not spoke with him yet so I do not know why it did not sell. I will keep you posted when I find out.
Bill

Ghoste

I notice that in spite of their assurances of concern for their reputation the house went ahead and auctioned the car anyway.  Obvioulsy they decided there was no risk for themselves in the matter.

Mike DC

This whole Mecum acution car story is a joke. 

I can't muster much sympathy for people who drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on cars that don't even pass the common-sense test.  And they should also know about Bobby Allison's questionable recollections if they're gonna value his word on the authentication. 

-------------------------------------

Has anyone in modern times ever built a genuinely realistic Grand National wing car replica?  One that's not just a rollcaged production unibody and not a surviving vintage chassis either?   

The only one I can think of is that recent Bill Goldberg superbird charity car, and they still didn't hack up that one enough to be accurate.

pettybird

what was the result?  i'm too lazy to sign in and look...

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on February 04, 2010, 06:21:17 PM
what was the result?  i'm too lazy to sign in and look...

Opening bid of 100k, then Quickly bid up to 200k, stalled not meeting reserve, gaveled unsold.    The promo video played right before the auction told the story of the car as represented by the seller.    Bobby and Donnie Allison were there up on the block but made no representations about the actual car.    Donnie told the crowd, "Whoever buys this car is gonna get a good one."

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 01, 2010, 03:24:48 PM

Has anyone in modern times ever built a genuinely realistic Grand National wing car replica?  One that's not just a rollcaged production unibody and not a surviving vintage chassis either?   

The only one I can think of is that recent Bill Goldberg superbird charity car, and they still didn't hack up that one enough to be accurate.

It's not impossible, but very difficult to do one "as raced".   It's hard enough to restore a real race chassis accurately, let alone make one from scratch.   There are very few pieces to work with.     The Goldberg car is a good example of doing a car they way someone "thought" it ought to be.   But it's not how they were.     I realize they were working with set donated pieces, yada, yada.   

wingman(22)

I spoke to the guy that did the work on the car at Mecum. The original owner wanted a car that he could race. The car was built to that specification. He said the parts that were there to begin with were scrapped and new parts were made to make it ready to race. The original owner had the car set up at the height it is now. This explains why the car does not look correct. It was never meant to be a clone of the 305 car. It was meant to look good and race it. It is a shame no pictures were taken before the car underwent the restoration.
The owner now said he was not going to sell it. He never wanted to buy a hornets nest. He was at the auction saw the car and thought it would be cool to have. It was represented by the original owner with a letter of authenticity and Bobby was there also. The current owner said he had no intention of pissing off the Mopar world.
Bill

hemi68charger

Quote from: wingman(22) on February 05, 2010, 11:32:41 AM
I spoke to the guy that did the work on the car at Mecum. The original owner wanted a car that he could race. The car was built to that specification. He said the parts that were there to begin with were scrapped and new parts were made to make it ready to race. The original owner had the car set up at the height it is now. This explains why the car does not look correct. It was never meant to be a clone of the 305 car. It was meant to look good and race it. It is a shame no pictures were taken before the car underwent the restoration.
The owner now said he was not going to sell it. He never wanted to buy a hornets nest. He was at the auction saw the car and thought it would be cool to have. It was represented by the original owner with a letter of authenticity and Bobby was there also. The current owner said he had no intention of pissing off the Mopar world.
Bill

I'm sure auction houses are like tabloid magazines...... People can just be walking across the street and the paparazzi turn it into something else. It appears this is much the same, but in an automotive way? Owner just built a cool car for himself and then........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Except that it was said owner who provided the "letter of authenticity".

wingman(22)

Mr. Gordon Sprague was the original owner. He is the one that provided the current owner with the letter.

Ghoste

Yes, and it's also worth mentioning that the current owner, even though he didn't want to "piss off the Mopar world" still went ahead with the sale and offered it as a legit version of the story being spun well after the fake pedigree was called out.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68X426 on February 05, 2010, 12:25:13 PM
Oh, THAT Gordon Sprague. No surprise. It's all about making the sale and dropping names. I will leave it at that. :rotz:

This is interesting, from the first link there........  Didn't know Bobby Allison won the '69 Daytona 500  :o   Blows my whole idea of NASCAR history and everything I know.......

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Aero426

Quote from: wingman(22) on February 05, 2010, 11:32:41 AM
Bill

Hi Bill, does the current owner still believe this car has some kind of real history? 

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on February 05, 2010, 12:10:25 PM
Yes, and it's also worth mentioning that the current owner, even though he didn't want to "piss off the Mopar world" still went ahead with the sale and offered it as a legit version of the story being spun well after the fake pedigree was called out.

Thank you. You nailed it.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

wingman(22)

Doug,
I don't know, he has no idea. We have discussed it and he does not know what to think. He said he really does not want to fool with it. It has become a pain for him. Not sure what he will do with the car. He has mentioned giving it to a charity.
He would have to take the car to Terry and let him look at what is left of the original parts.

Bill

Aero426

Quote from: wingman(22) on February 05, 2010, 02:02:45 PM
Doug,
I don't know, he has no idea. We have discussed it and he does not know what to think. He said he really does not want to fool with it. It has become a pain for him. Not sure what he will do with the car. He has mentioned giving it to a charity.
He would have to take the car to Terry and let him look at what is left of the original parts.

Bill

My understanding is that he sent Terry Nichels some pics already.    Given that the stock inner fenders and firewall are present, I would think that says enough that it cannot be a Nichels car. 

wingman(22)

That may be true, but the guy that built the car said he took all of the old parts and put new parts on for Sprague to race the car. So from the floor pans up it was made into a 70 charger to use on the road course. Without any pics from when it was found no telling what it was. The owner said Nichels would have to see the car in person before it could be totally said it was not a Nichel's car. Not sure what his plans are with that.
I bought a car to do a clone of my dads car with. I am going to make a street car so I can drive it. I plan on trying to do the work mostly myself. In the mean time I am saving money to start on the Hylton car. Maybe we can race one day..................

Bill

hemi68charger

Quote from: wingman(22) on February 05, 2010, 02:33:33 PM
... Maybe we can race one day..................

Bill

A Daytona and Superbird......... Wonder you'll get the pole........... Guess it doesn't really matter, it all depends on who finishes first... Ask Buddy Baker during the '69 Daytona 500.......
Troy

Akron_Charger

not only that, but you couldnt win the 69 Daytona 500 in a Daytona because it didnt exist yet :lol:

Aero426

It's BAAAAACCCCCK!!!!

Now it will be attempted to be sold at Russo & Steele in Scottsdale in January. 

http://www.russoandsteele.com/collector-car/1969-Dodge-Daytona/6504

68X426

The Sprague zombie car returns. :popcrn:  Still no pictures of the alleged 305 motor. ::)

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

hemi68charger

Troy

tan top

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 22, 2010, 03:06:19 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on December 22, 2010, 02:18:45 PM
It's BAAAAACCCCCK!!!!

Sweet Mother-of-Mopar........... 

:rotz:  ....  whats going on with this car !! every one can see its not what its supposed to be !!  but its still advertised as such !! perhaps there is some truth to it  :shruggy:  as such a bad copy /clone / home made car , would be laughed at & not given any publicity ,  :brickwall: :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html