News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ROTISSERIE anyone have one or make thier own ? i need measurements

Started by rav440, January 04, 2010, 07:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

did any of you guys make your own rotisserie for your car ? i need dimensions / plans . i want to make my own . im not sure ill be able to clear my garage dooor & opener to spin the car so ill most likely have to wheen it out side to spin it .

if you could please post pics and measurements of your home made or store bought rotisserie i would  very much appreciate it

thanks RANDY
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

RTDaddy

Mine is dis-assembled right now, but I had vertical clearance troubles too.  What I did was measure the width of the car, then divided in half to get the height on it's side, and told me if I could turn the car on its side in the shop.  This was initially for a Challenger.  Once I found this out, I set up for 1 inch clearance to the floor with the car on its side, and then shortened the pivot point post 6", and made the telescoping part 14" too long, so I could use it for other cars.  One critical thing I did was to make the support frame a perimeter frame, )looks like a big rectangle from the top.  Most rotissories have one tube down th ecenter, (under the car), which requires more vertical height.  My frame is wide enough to clear the car as it is rotated, so I could use much larger diameter castors than most, making the frame easier to roll, (especially outside).  Good luck.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

69 OUR/TEA

Unless you have all the materials lying around,it is not worth building your own.You can buy a brand new rotiss from under $1K now from various places,even Summit!!You can easily spend $250-$400 just on the steel tubes,etc.You buy one,use it,and when you are done you sell it and probably only lose what it would have cost you to build it less all your time,engineering,aggravation,etc IMO.Not to mention most of the places that do manufacture them already did the research and developement on the correct design,sizing,adjustment options,etc like lets say the very important "center of gravity" balancing adjustment so your car don't go flying off onto its roof!
I personally have a Whirly jig rotiss,rated as one of the top in rotisseries out there,got it at Carlisle for $1,450.00 ,many adjustment options,brackets,etc and when mounted/balanced  correctly you are able to spin the car 360 with one finger with it not taking off,and with a Charger on it with the ceiling being 7'-6''.Worth every penny.

Rallyecharger

Exactly that!! I bought one for $1000 Canadian  with all the fancy bells and whistles.....
If you figure out all of the material costs, time and effort, and the pizza/beer etc while you/buddies build it then.... :Twocents:
Mine is the Auto Twirler Plus....... :2thumbs:

motorcitydak

I made mine for a grand total of $160 all spent at home depot. Total assembly time was maybe 12 hours by myself and that included putting the car up on the lift. It is in 2 pieces at each end of the car. It works great, the only problem is that I got the CG wrong. I need to mount the car up higher on the fixture because even as a bare shell, the CG is a lot closer to the floor than I thought. I have a bunch of pics up around here somewhere and cannot get into my photobucket account rite now because im stuck at work rite now. Anyway, I built it from 4x4's, fence rail pipe and some 3x3 angle iron. I put a worm gear winch on it to spin the car but it did not work, refer back to the CG problem...Ill try to get some pics up in a few days, or if you want just check out my photobucket account, I use the same screen name. The pics of the rotisserie should be just a few pages back
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Magnumcharger

For your benefit.....use the search feature on this site to find all the very interesting threads on rotisseries.
:2thumbs:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

rav440

i have to post this reply i got from an ad that i out on the PITTSBURGH CL

EMAIL # 1

WANTED : CAR ROTISSERIE - $1 (CRANBERRY TWP)‏

From: , William F (w2@pitt.edu) You may not know this sender.Sent:Thu 1/07/10 9:06 PMTo: 'sale-3xqgr-1540792379@craigslist.org' (sale-3xqgr-1540792379@craigslist.org)

Email me back and I will send some pictures. Homemade, you can't buy one this good. It spun my 67 GTO like a top with no effort. 3" diameter bearings, 4" C-channel, 2"x3"x3/8" angle iron, adjustable, on wheels. Roadrunner is a pretty big car, like my GTO. I didn't plan on selling it but I don't think I will ever do another frame-off resto. I have it disassembled and stored under my shed. The pics should be enough for you to decide if you would want it. It won't be cheap. I have had a few people try to get it from me but I wouldn't sell. Now I just need to come up with a price.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1540792379.html

so i sent him an email back saying yep send me photos and what is your price and your location ..

EMAIL # 2

RE: WANTED : CAR ROTISSERIE - $1 (CRANBERRY TWP)‏

From: , William F (w2@pitt.edu) Sent:Fri 1/08/10 1:34 PMTo: 'Randy (xxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com)

Randy,

I looked on line at the "el cheapo" engine stand type for around $800-$1000 and some of the better ones for around $1500. I think they would be very difficult to spin without bearings. Plus it seems that they nickel and dime you on all the "accessories". They don't even compare and I would be afraid to use some of them. Mine isn't made out of that light square tubing, it is all heavy angle iron and channel. I have decided on a price of $1800. I am sure you could get that back out of it when your car is completed. I have had a few people ask about buying the rotisserie when they saw the pics in an album at car cruises but I have not considered selling until now. I live in Carnegie about a mile off Interstate 79. My rotisserie spun the car like a top once I found the center of gravity and it didn't even grunt. There are a lot of drilled holes for adjustment. Since I used this on a GM and you have a Mopar, you may need to modify where it bolts underneath the car but that shouldn't be major.

If you are not interested let me know and I might just put it up for sale on Craigslist.

Bill

so do you guys think its a good deal ?  :scratchchin:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: rav440 on January 08, 2010, 06:45:42 PM
i have to post this reply i got from an ad that i out on the PITTSBURGH CL

EMAIL # 1

WANTED : CAR ROTISSERIE - $1 (CRANBERRY TWP)‏

From: , William F (w2@pitt.edu) You may not know this sender.Sent:Thu 1/07/10 9:06 PMTo: 'sale-3xqgr-1540792379@craigslist.org' (sale-3xqgr-1540792379@craigslist.org)

Email me back and I will send some pictures. Homemade, you can't buy one this good. It spun my 67 GTO like a top with no effort. 3" diameter bearings, 4" C-channel, 2"x3"x3/8" angle iron, adjustable, on wheels. Roadrunner is a pretty big car, like my GTO. I didn't plan on selling it but I don't think I will ever do another frame-off resto. I have it disassembled and stored under my shed. The pics should be enough for you to decide if you would want it. It won't be cheap. I have had a few people try to get it from me but I wouldn't sell. Now I just need to come up with a price.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1540792379.html

so i sent him an email back saying yep send me photos and what is your price and your location ..

EMAIL # 2

RE: WANTED : CAR ROTISSERIE - $1 (CRANBERRY TWP)‏

From: , William F (w2@pitt.edu) Sent:Fri 1/08/10 1:34 PMTo: 'Randy (xxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com)

Randy,

I looked on line at the "el cheapo" engine stand type for around $800-$1000 and some of the better ones for around $1500. I think they would be very difficult to spin without bearings. Plus it seems that they nickel and dime you on all the "accessories". They don't even compare and I would be afraid to use some of them. Mine isn't made out of that light square tubing, it is all heavy angle iron and channel. I have decided on a price of $1800. I am sure you could get that back out of it when your car is completed. I have had a few people ask about buying the rotisserie when they saw the pics in an album at car cruises but I have not considered selling until now. I live in Carnegie about a mile off Interstate 79. My rotisserie spun the car like a top once I found the center of gravity and it didn't even grunt. There are a lot of drilled holes for adjustment. Since I used this on a GM and you have a Mopar, you may need to modify where it bolts underneath the car but that shouldn't be major.

If you are not interested let me know and I might just put it up for sale on Craigslist.

Bill

so do you guys think its a good deal ?  :scratchchin:

That's too high.

Buy a Whirly Jig and be happy.

rav440

:o sorry that post came out wrong i was being sarcastic  :yesnod: i wouldnt pay $200.00 for that P.O.S. . just pointing out how alot of people thing their JUNK is worth a ton of $$$$$$$

motorcitydak

Sorry it took a while, but here are a few pics of the setup I built for my car. Like I said earlier, I got the CG wrong. The car should sit a little higher so it would spin rite

96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

green69rt

Quote from: rav440 on January 04, 2010, 07:06:48 PM
did any of you guys make your own rotisserie for your car ? i need dimensions / plans . i want to make my own . im not sure ill be able to clear my garage dooor & opener to spin the car so ill most likely have to wheen it out side to spin it .

if you could please post pics and measurements of your home made or store bought rotisserie i would  very much appreciate it

thanks RANDY
Look here
http://www.69hemi.com/index.html

no318

I have a ROTO 2000 and really like it alot. 

I DON'T like the whirly jig because it takes so much fabrication to attach your car to it and then it is all in the way when you try and work on quarters, etc.  Also, the ones I have seen had all the attaching braces welded to your car.  That looks like a hassle and an extra effort to clean up when you are done.   :Twocents:

rav440

NorwayCharger

Quote from: rav440 on January 10, 2010, 11:18:53 AM
Quote from: NorwayCharger on January 10, 2010, 10:26:51 AM
Try this:

http://d01.megashares.com/dl/fc7e16b/bothsets.pdf

what is that all about ? a link to some lottery game .  :shruggy:

Plans in PDF format for building a Rotisserie, you must download it.
They are like 3 mb in size.
Anyone want them, send me a PM with your email.
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: rav440 on January 10, 2010, 11:18:53 AM
Quote from: NorwayCharger on January 10, 2010, 10:26:51 AM
Try this:

http://d01.megashares.com/dl/fc7e16b/bothsets.pdf

what is that all about ? a link to some lottery game .  :shruggy:

The megashares site is a file sharing site - safe enough as long as you trust what you are downloading and who you're downloading it from.

The file itself is a very detailed plan with build notes.

I didn't read every last detail - what's the hoop all about?

rav440

superbirdtom

I had a guy bring me a 66 mustang fastback to restore and he made his own rotissorie.  out of two engine stands etc..  what a joke .  just buy one   much nicer, then you could resell it . and make back the difference on what you would blow in time and materials spent on making a piece of junk.