News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spent New Years in the basement

Started by General_01, January 03, 2010, 08:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

I spent New Years starting the remodeling in the basement. We have been in this house since 1993 and I have finally decided to finish off the rest of the basement. We made the other half our bedroom and a bathroom already. My father-in-law came over all three days to help me. Here are some pics after we quit tonight.

1. The first pic is across the basement. We built a small wall out about 3 feet from the existing wall. The computer desk will go in this space. The appliances are going to be enclosed with accordian doors when we are finished.

2. The second pic is the new wall we built off the doorway into the basement. We stopped it early so we would have access to our storage area under our entryway.

3. This is behind the above wall.

4. This is the enlarged opening we made. We but a header up to support one of the floor joists for the entryway closet. Makes it a lot easier to get under there now that we are getting older. :icon_smile_big:

We should be finished putting up the sheetrock next weekend. My brother-in-law will come and do the taping and mudding after that and then we can paint. We will put a false ceiling in. This will be a family room mainly for the kids.

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

PocketThunder

Nice work!  I'd much rather be doing that in a warm basement next to the beer fridge than freezing my balls off outside trying to build a ice fishing house.   :brickwall:   :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ITSA426

This is what we do in Minnesota in the winter.

BronzeOnSteelies

Nice job!.

I feel your pain though, I am done framing our unfinshed basement and need to finish the ductwork and wiring so I can get some insulation along the walls.

Even I now admit it is freezing cold down there (Northern, Illinois).

Mark
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Silver R/T

Good job. That reminds me ... I have to finish off mine ....someday.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

General_01

Thanks guys! No headway this week. I am just too dang tired to attack it after a day at work. We will hit it some more this weekend.
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Finished the sheetrocking today. I used the stich program to try and give a better idea of the room size. It won't be a big room, but it will seem like it after it is finished and we can open up space elseware in the house. :yesnod:

496 stroker
4-speed

FlatbackFanatic

greenpigs

I got a slab of concrete and like it. The 2 other houses I owned had basements and were not used much. Then again we didnt have 2 kids back then. Sure would be nice to toss all the toys in the basement..oh well.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

General_01

Well, my brother-in-law came over today and put the first coat of mud on the wall. My wife and her dad will sand it down tomorrow so her brother can come back tomorrow night and put the finish coat on. We will then do the final sanding and hopefully be painting by next weekend. It is coming together pretty quickly. We will probably have to get out this week and start looking at carpeting.
496 stroker
4-speed

PocketThunder

Damn dude, looking good down there.  Yes, basements are a must have for putting stuff you dont use everyday down there, and for a play room for the kids.   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

General_01

This weekend we primed and painted the basement and my youngest daughter Cynthia and I put up suspended ceiling in half the basement. I am sure I would have gotten farther, but the Vikes were playing so I had to take a 3 hour break. :icon_smile_big:

We have already picked out the carpet. I am sure next weekend the ceiling will be up on Saturday. I will probably pick up some trim this week and stain it so I can put the trim up next weekend too. Then comes the carpet. No pics. To busy working. I will try to take some next weekend. 
496 stroker
4-speed

chargergirl

Man do WE KNOW about that home improvement stuff...ugh...kitchen looks great as does the laundry room but man. Your basement looks GREAT!
Trust your Woobie!

gtx6970

I feel your pain,
I've had a very similar project ongoing now for about 3 years as time and finances alow. mine's divided into 3 rooms. shoule be all done later this spring ,,,,,,,,,I hope

Guns N Rotors

General_01

The basement looks great! You're doing an outstanding job!

Have you ever experienced any water problems or leaking?
Do you have footer drains, sump pump? Are your down spouts
old or new?

I have seen it a hundred times. People will spend thousands on a
basement remodel job and not spend one dime on waterproofing.
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighting aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be."

General_01

No water problems here. The county I live in is made of sand. A neighbor put in a sand point and went down 20+ feet before he hit water.
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

More pics. Spent the weekend putting up the rest of the grid, mounting and wiring 5 recessed lights and more tiles. Still need to cut the smaller ones and the ones with angles. I will try that this week. Did not get to the trim like I was hoping. Next weekend I won't be doing anything. I will be getting an E-Certificate in coaching soccer.

496 stroker
4-speed

PocketThunder

Nice space Dean.  It will feel like a new house down there.  Someplace nice to go to for a change.   :2thumbs:

FlatbackFanatic