News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Map light doesn't come on with open door

Started by redfourjohnd, January 02, 2010, 09:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfourjohnd

Hi,

I got my ignition light to work by putting in a new time delay relay. They had it at autozone! It does get HOT as I had read in some other posts.

Anyway, the dome light comes on when the door opens. The drivers door is missing the switch though, so it only works with the passenger door. The door opening does activate the ignition key light. The map light works with the switch, but does not come on with the door opening.

One other thing, I have my instrument cluster out right now. Should I wait until I reinstall it to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks,

John D
First car: 1969 Charger R/T 440 4 barrel 3.91 rear- sold it like a dummy.

Current Mopars:

1968 Charger Slant Six A833 OD
1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 170 2 door post
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Valiant 225 Signet junker car-but it has a brand new rebuilt 225 in it :-))
1962 Lancer parts car

redfourjohnd

An update- I got it to work right.

I didn't realize that the switch was a dual pole single throw. My switch was toast and I got a very good match for it at Radio Shack. I bought the single pole single throw switch mistakenly. Lucky for me the switch just had a terminal that was cut off to make it an SPST. There was enough of the post left showing to solder on a short wire from it to the light body. It just needed both grounds  ;) It was very cool to see it work right.

Another good thing; the time delay relay got nowhere near as hot once the map light was connected properly. Before it would've burned my hand grabbing it for more than a second or so. Now it gets warm, but I can hold it tight in my hand and not get a burn.

If the bulb in the map light dies, will the relay start getting super hot again? I believe it could be a fire hazard.

Thanks!

John D

Current Mopars:

1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Valiant 225 Signet junker car-but it has a brand new rebuilt 225 in it :-))
1962 Lancer parts car

bakerhillpins

Quote from: redfourjohnd on January 02, 2010, 11:34:05 PM
Lucky for me the switch just had a terminal that was cut off to make it an SPST. There was enough of the post left showing to solder on a short wire from it to the light body. It just needed both grounds  ;) It was very cool to see it work right.

You might want to rethink using that switch and just get the correct one with a terminal that isn't cut off. Depending upon the amount of vibration that your dash is subject to you could be taking it back out sooner than you would like to.

While the solder connection seems strong its not all that durable in med to high vibration situations. At a bear minimum you might consider securing the wire to the dash or the switch to keep it (the solder connection) from absorbing the vibration.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

redfourjohnd

Thanks for the advice.

I'll check at radio shack for the dual pole switch. It certainly would've made for a cleaner installation. i wish I would've realized at first!

Another change would be to run a ring terminal to the mounting screw for the ground, rather than soldering the lead to the body of the switch.

Thanks again!

John D

Current Mopars:

1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Lancer parts car