News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Competition driving and physical fitness

Started by Ghoste, December 30, 2009, 07:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Here is an aspect of our vehicles performance that we've never discussed; the human element.
I know for the vast majority of us, our physical condition (including reflexes for all you drag racers) isn't as big a concern as it is for a professional driver or even the very serious amateurs.  With that in mind though are there regimens that some of you do to keep in shape?

greenpigs

I'm not overweight but not in shape either...that's about as fit as I get.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ghoste

But do you need to be?  That is to say, are you involved in any kind of an endurance racing or anything like that?  And if you are, do you feel then that it would be beneficial to you to be into some sort of training?
And I don't even know what kind of training, I guess that's part of what I'm asking here.

Mike DC

I think being fairly slim helps.  Not just the numbers on the scale affecting a car's curb weight, but also in the more indirect things like a person's reflexes & fatigue & resilience to injuries.  My own weight/shape has varied a bit over the years and I can really feel some differences being smaller and larger. 

HPP

When I raced stock cars, I used to workout with weights. Not necessarily for the driving benefit because I was much younger and on the prowl, although in retrospect it did help. Now an afternoon at the track leaves me sore for a day afterwards. FWIW, I also used to loose 5-8 pounds a night wrestling stock cars. It ain't easy sitting in a 100* oven, with several layers of fireproof  clothing, without power steering, cranking a 3500 pound car in circles with 20 other cars beating on you.

Rolling_Thunder

I am not the thinnest guy out there but being slimmer is a lot better for overall health - less fatigue and better endurance...        I lift weights and now actually pay attention to my diet - I used to weigh 317lbs...    one year later (today) I am at 249lbs...      and I can say I feel a ton better - Still have about 40-50lbs to go but I can say it makes everything better    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

You know it's funny but you get to form mental pictures of everybody on here and that isn't how I pictured you Alex.
Anyhow trying to get back on topic, apparently none of us do exercise specifically to be better behind the wheel?

Dans 68

Quote from: Ghoste on December 31, 2009, 04:47:41 PM
..Anyhow trying to get back on topic, apparently none of us do exercise specifically to be better behind the wheel?

Unless your job is driving competitively I would say no. We (I) do it to better enjoy life in general.  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Ghoste

Yeah but I would have thought there were at least a couple of amateurs on here who were so serious that they would look for any possible edge.  :lol:

Dans 68

I would have thought that reaction time (is there a way to increase synapse firing speed?) and personal body weight are the only areas to improve on, at least in drag racing. I think repetition (just race, baby!) would be the other way to improve one's body to racing.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

JeffYoung

I'm an SCCA road racer.  Physicall conditioning is 100% important to what we do.  Even in 30 minute sprint races, being in shape helps you deal with heat, and stress and soreness from bracing yourself, etc.

But the biggest thing with fitness is during the enduros we run (normally 1.5 hour races, but including one 13 hour race where we run a team of drivers who put in 2-3 1.5 hour stints each).  After an hour and a half in a hot car (heat is the killer, even when the weather is cool) you are beat, mentally and physically. The better shape you are in the better you will perform. Without doubt.

Ghoste

Is there a specific regimen that you follow yourself?

suntech

It is absolutely no doubt that it helps to be fit to do a best possible job in any kind of racing!!!! I used to race boats up till 4 years ago. Last few years i raced Formula 1 tunnels, in the world cup. Have also raced 24 hour races for Mercury 2 times. Believe me.....125 mph in a tunnel boat, in the dark, does wear on you!!! 
The whole point is that when you get physicly tired, your head and reaction times are screwed up! Regardless of what you are driving, driving on the edge takes a lot of energy, and a tired driver messes up, and takes wrong choises much more often than a less tired driver. :Twocents:

BTW: this is not an opinion....it is a fact!!!

If you can race for an hour without even getting tired, you are not pushing hard enaugh!!!   :nana:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

NYCMille

QuoteI'm an SCCA road racer.  Physicall conditioning is 100% important to what we do.  Even in 30 minute sprint races, being in shape helps you deal with heat, and stress and soreness from bracing yourself, etc.

But the biggest thing with fitness is during the enduros we run (normally 1.5 hour races, but including one 13 hour race where we run a team of drivers who put in 2-3 1.5 hour stints each).  After an hour and a half in a hot car (heat is the killer, even when the weather is cool) you are beat, mentally and physically. The better shape you are in the better you will perform. Without doubt.

What he said... x100

Troy

I saw an episode of Top Gear last night where one of them gets to drive a Formula One car. In order to build up to the speed/power/handling they used three cars with the first one being entry level and the next being mid level (about 1/2 the power of the F1 car). Even though the driver was barely getting used to the mid level car the mechanics/crew chief made him switch to the F1 car because "if he puts in any more laps his neck will give out".

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I've heard stories about those guys having neck issues.

suntech

Quoteif he puts in any more laps his neck will give out".

That is just the TV way of saying it, and is pretty much bullshit. Ofcause the neck takes a lot of beating, but not as they say!

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Mike DC

Those F1 guys have basically maxed-out the possibilities of motorsports. 

If they go any faster the driver gets sick from the G-forces after multiple laps.  If they spin the motors any faster then the explosion literally doesn't have enough time to happen in the cylinder.  If they make the cars any lower to the ground then they bottom out every time the suspension flexes at all.  There's just nowhere else to go with advancement in that sport. 

Mr.Woolery

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 15, 2010, 04:38:00 PM

Those F1 guys have basically maxed-out the possibilities of motorsports. 

If they go any faster the driver gets sick from the G-forces after multiple laps.  If they spin the motors any faster then the explosion literally doesn't have enough time to happen in the cylinder.  If they make the cars any lower to the ground then they bottom out every time the suspension flexes at all.  There's just nowhere else to go with advancement in that sport.    
That makes as much sense as when Charles Duell stated "Everything that can be invented has been invented" back in 1899.

I can think of MANY different ways in which the cars can be made to go faster...the only limitations are the rules.  For example:

-Active aero
-Regenerative braking/capacitive assisted acceleration
-Rubber compounds

To name but a few.

As for my workout routine for the track, I concentrate on balancing a weight routine and endurance cardio.  I'm at a disadvantage because I'm a naturally bigger guy though (6'1" 270lbs solid).  I'd probably do better at road racing if I were about 4 inches shorter and 100lbs lighter with a "swimmer's build" instead of lugging around all the extra mass.
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

JeffYoung

The easiest things to do are hydration and nutrition the few days before and of the race.  I try to overhydrate starting on Thursday for a weekend of sprint races.  I also try to avoid greasy stuff the day before the race, and the day off just eat bananas and maybe crackers.

For working out, back when I was in better shape and "heat training" for some hiking in teh desert, I'd run 2 miles in the summer afternoon/early evenign heat (NC), plus some basic weight training but not to build mass so much as endurance and definition.

I got down to 155 lbs at 5'11" (I'm 195 now, which is 20 to much, 175 is ideal) and could handle most heat and stress.

Quote from: Ghoste on December 31, 2009, 06:15:40 PM
Is there a specific regimen that you follow yourself?

suntech

I used to race these, up to a few years ago. Picture is me in Singapore 04. The G forces (up to app 6 G´s) in the turns, and the heat, that is what really gets to wear on you. 104 and humid outside, and a 3 layer suit and full face helmet and neck support inside, and app 45 minute races....damn that was rough on you at times!! Learned to drink enaugh water really quick!!!