News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with a 440!!!!!

Started by sikk, December 28, 2009, 02:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sikk

I have a 440 that is fouling plugs, ticking noise in the valve train and doesn't have the torque it should have. Its been run without a thermostat. Sounds beastly at idle, but just doesn't have the grunt it should have. If any other info is needed just ask.

1975 chrysler 440 in a 1984 dodge ram
    redone 516 heads that are shaved and opened up the exhaust valve to the 1.74 and has shaved the head down
    performer rpm dual plane intake, carb 750, and rpm cam
    headers, with a 3 inch exhaust system with super 40's
    3.55 gears with a posi unit
    msd blaster 2 coil
    mopar performance distibitor, orange box, and msd wires

metcoll

get rid of the rpm cam....your motor is likely still low on the compression side....crane 278 cam would give a lot more low end & works well with your comp.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

RD

Quote from: metcoll on December 28, 2009, 03:02:28 PM
get rid of the rpm cam....your motor is likely still low on the compression side....crane 278 cam would give a lot more low end & works well with your comp.

disagree, the engine is a 8.2 to 1 motor, with 516 heads will bump it to at least 9.2 to 1, if they are shaved even a hair, you are looking at 9.5 to 1 c/r.  that is more than enough to deal with the rpm cam (whether its a 484 or 509 grind, though 484 would probably work better due to streetability).  the rear gearing is okay enough, you didnt mention if you have a stall converter though.

MAINLY.... what carburetor do you have, is it fouling only certain plugs or all of them.. electric or manual choke carburetor?  make sure any carburetor linkage is not binding against objects or the side of the carb housing.

I think starting there is a good step.  After that, we can get further into the diagnosis.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Grim Jhaixus

Quote from: RD on December 30, 2009, 07:03:11 PM
Quote from: metcoll on December 28, 2009, 03:02:28 PM

disagree, the engine is a 8.2 to 1 motor, with 516 heads will bump it to at least 9.2 to 1, if they are shaved even a hair, you are looking at 9.5 to 1 c/r.  that is more than enough to deal with the rpm cam (whether its a 484 or 509 grind, though 484 would probably work better due to streetability).  the rear gearing is okay enough, you didnt mention if you have a stall converter though.

MAINLY.... what carburetor do you have, is it fouling only certain plugs or all of them.. electric or manual choke carburetor?  make sure any carburetor linkage is not binding against objects or the side of the carb housing.

I think starting there is a good step.  After that, we can get further into the diagnosis.

I agree.  :yesnod:
Fouling plugs is a trademark of carb issues, and the carb is always a good place to start.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

ionracer24

Quote from: sikk on December 28, 2009, 02:12:35 PM
I have a 440 that is fouling plugs, ticking noise in the valve train and doesn't have the torque it should have. Its been run without a thermostat. Sounds beastly at idle, but just doesn't have the grunt it should have. If any other info is needed just ask.

1975 chrysler 440 in a 1984 dodge ram
    redone 516 heads that are shaved and opened up the exhaust valve to the 1.74 and has shaved the head down
    performer rpm dual plane intake, carb 750, and rpm cam
    headers, with a 3 inch exhaust system with super 40's
    3.55 gears with a posi unit
    msd blaster 2 coil
    mopar performance distibitor, orange box, and msd wires

first check the valve lash, if thats ok, then make sure the  oil is flowing well up the pushrods, , then give it a compression test and good ol tune up.
Real race cars have three pedals......

Cooter

How tall a tire on those 3.55's??? If they are like 38" tall, then those 3.55's just became like 2.97's.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

greenpigs

38 dia? I understand the taller tire helps tame big gears but that seems cartoonish.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

oldkimmer

......U need a t stat........its running cold far 2long.........also ur lucky 2 have 8.5 even with shaved 516s......those pistons will b .140 in the hole............kim............
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cooter

Quote from: greenpigs on December 31, 2009, 09:02:17 PM
38 dia? I understand the taller tire helps tame big gears but that seems cartoonish.

You must not be familiar with the term "Off Road" then, cause round here I've seen those guys runnin' 54" tires on their trucks...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Cooter

I'm sorry, By the title line in this thread, I thought that';s what we were talking bout here.."1975 chrysler 440 in a 1984 dodge ram"

I must admit that I've never seen this type of Charger before though...Is it the 7 th generation?

greenpigs

Time for me to eat some crow! I forgot it was a ramcharger. Sorry cooter I had brain fade.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Cooter

sikk

its a EDELBROCK PERFORMER SERIES 750 CFM carb and its fouling all the plugs.

sikk

And it has a stock converter in the tranny.

greenpigs

Edelbrocks are usaly lean if still at factory setting. How is your spark at the plug ?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

First thing to do is check spark....pull a wire and ground it to a header tube while cranking the engine over....you should see a blueish white spark. If it's dull orange then you have a weak spark in the ignition system. I've had a few Orange boxes do this....car will still run but it fouls plugs like crazy.

Second thing is to swap in some fresh plugs....NGK XR5's are all i will use in a pump gas iron head street type build. They resist fouling and are the correct heat range for what you're doing. It's possible, and more than likely that the plug you currently have in the engine is too cold (heat range)

Number three is timing ; get a light on it and make sure you have enough spark lead. Ideally you will want at least 15* of base timing @ idle and 36-38* total all in by 2500-2800 rpm

*** Start there then report back with your results.  ;)

Ron

Ps. INMO you are overcammed....a more conservative cam would be much better in that application. Even with closed chamber heads you won't have much compression so you need a cam profile with an early intake valve closing point. This traps more air in the cylinder to build pressure and bottom end power & torque.  :yesnod:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs