News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hard Starting When Cold

Started by charger500440, December 26, 2009, 11:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger500440

Hoping someone may have some advice for my 383HP with the original Carter on it. Carb was recently rebuilt and the engine runs like a champ. The only problem is that after sitting for a day or more, it is a real pain to get started. Once it's warm, she starts effortlessly. It's as if the fuel is no longer in the carb or the lines for that matter and I need to pump fuel up to the carb for a few minutes before it will fire. Very frustrating, not to mention taxing on my starter. Any thoughts out there? I'm fairly convinced it has nothing to do with anything else. Thanks...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

adauto

Have you "looked" down the carbs throat after it sits for a few days. Does it squirt on the first shot? Thats where you need to start...
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

TylerCharger69

Maybe a choke problem??  I know i  had a similar experience.  if i start the car everyday....as i usually do...in the mornings....no pumping required....fires right at the first bump.   If it sits for a few days?...A bit more difficult and requires a choke. 

Ghoste

Modern oxygenated fuels leave a lot to be desired too, especially the winter formulations.  It's become a common complaint for drivers of older cars.

Al

I had the same problem with mine. Difficult to start when cold and once started it had a tendancy to stall. I solved the first issue with an ignition upgrade ie. new Mopar dizzy, MSD 6 box and blaster II coil. The stalling remains an issue, the only solution I found out is letting the car idle for a few minutes then everything's fine.

Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

NHCharger

Both my Chargers do the same. I have Eddy's on them. I have to pump the gas pedal a dozen times before turning the key, and it still takes three trys to start. Once I actually hooked up the manual choke on my 72 it made a big difference on ease of starting and number of pumps needed.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

charger500440

Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't played with the choke much as of yet. As for looking down the throat of the carb, yes I did do that and there was no fuel squirting in. That is what has me puzzled. I figured there should be some fuel in the bowl but it's dry. Next step is taking it apart and seeing if there is any fuel but I'm hesitant to pull it apart again...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Ghoste

The Carter carbs are bad for fuel boiling off after sitting for a few days and leaving the bowl empty, especially with the fuel of today as I mentioned.  Crank it a few times to make sure the bowl is full before pumping it.  Just to be sure it isn't a bad accelerator pump (even though it's just been rebuilt) check for fuel squirting in after you have had the car running and you know the bowl is full.

TylerCharger69

Ah...yes!!!  the boiling effect!!!  Evaporates gas quickly!!!  What I did was block off the heat crossover passages on the intake manifold....keeps the fuel cooler!!!....Ace

FLG

With my thermoquad even after a few days, 1 pump and she fires right up. After some weeks it takes a tad bit of cranking to get the fuel back up there again.

Also have the same problem Al, she wont run happily until its warm. Usually after a bit i can pull out of the garage, but i have to be very easy on the throttle until its warm.

flyinlow

My Edelbrock (Carter) does it  too.

Took a squeeze bottle and filled it with gas. Disconnected the fuel line from the carb. Bottle feed the carb to refill it.

Reconnect the fuel line. Engine started right up with a couple pumps of the accelerator.

Crummy gas today. Made for fuel injection.   :brickwall:

Cooter

One way I have gotten around this problem is to install an electric fuel pump and when the ignition comes on, it primes the carb so it will start right away....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Road Dog

Quote from: charger500440 on December 27, 2009, 10:58:04 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't played with the choke much as of yet. As for looking down the throat of the carb, yes I did do that and there was no fuel squirting in. That is what has me puzzled. I figured there should be some fuel in the bowl but it's dry. Next step is taking it apart and seeing if there is any fuel but I'm hesitant to pull it apart again...

Mike
Mine was doing that and it was the fuel filter.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

charger500440

Quote from: Road Dog on December 28, 2009, 10:04:46 AM

Mike
Mine was doing that and it was the fuel filter.
Was the filter allowing the fuel to flow back down to the pump? What solved it, just a new filter?
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Road Dog

Solved with new filter. It would start fine all day long or the next morning. Skip a day or two and nada. Looked into the carb while giving it gas and there was nothing. I run a clear filter( see thru) type filter. I immediately noticed when I placed the new one on and started the car the new filter was holding way more gas than the old clogged up one. Worth a try for a cheap fix.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

charger500440

Quote from: Road Dog on December 28, 2009, 12:20:42 PM
Solved with new filter. It would start fine all day long or the next morning. Skip a day or two and nada. Looked into the carb while giving it gas and there was nothing. I run a clear filter( see thru) type filter. I immediately noticed when I placed the new one on and started the car the new filter was holding way more gas than the old clogged up one. Worth a try for a cheap fix.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Can't hurt that's for sure...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

resq302

Wish it was that simple for us.  Just put a new fuel filter on a couple months ago with all new fuel lines and fuel tank and still nothing.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

alcusswhen

Mike

If you had an accelerator pump problem the car would try to stall everytime you mashed the gas. #1 cause is floats set to high combined with todays gas evaporating to fast. Reset the floats and put a 1" phenolic spacer under the carb to reduce heat and slow evaporation. 
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

FLG

Well,

Started it up yesterday after 2 weeks of sitting. Took about 5 seconds worth of cranking and she fired right up.

charger500440

Quote from: alcusswhen on December 28, 2009, 10:33:38 PM

Mike

If you had an accelerator pump problem the car would try to stall everytime you mashed the gas. #1 cause is floats set to high combined with todays gas evaporating to fast. Reset the floats and put a 1" phenolic spacer under the carb to reduce heat and slow evaporation. 
Thanks. Question though, wouldn't my problem be the floats are too low? Causing less fuel to held in the bowl at start-up. I do admit my carb knowledge is somewhat limited to only the basics...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic