News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Specs needed on valve cover studs/nuts and water pump bolts

Started by bull, December 19, 2009, 07:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

My valve cover studs are MIA but I've got the bolts so I don't want to spend $25 on a fastener kit if I only need 1/3 of it. So I'm going to try gathering it all up at the hardware store. First off, what length are the studs? Are they 1/4-20 on one end and 1/4-28 on the other or are both ends the same? And are the nuts that go on the studs flange nuts? I took a look at the hardware store today and the only studs they have there are 1/4-28 on one end and 1/4-20 on the other. They do have some non surrated flange nuts but none that are 1/4-28 thread pitch so the guy there suggested using allen head set screws instead of studs so they'd be 1/4-20 on both ends. :shruggy: Looks like this is shaping up to be a PITA.

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=110%2DVCF8033

b5blue

Check on eBay I've seen good photos of them that could help ID what you need.

bull

One additional fastener question while I'm at it. There are six bolts and one washer that hold the water pump housing on. Which bolt gets the washer?

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=110%2DC8051

b5blue

On mine (440) the one just below and to the drivers side of the therm. housing. It's the only bolt not holding a bracket on (alt. & power steering on mine)

bull

Quote from: b5blue on December 19, 2009, 07:23:34 PM
Check on eBay I've seen good photos of them that could help ID what you need.

According to this one auction it looks like the studs are fine threaded on the valve cover end so I'm probably not going to find what I'm looking for at the hardware store. Not as far as the nuts are concerned anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/64-74-A-B-E-Body-Cuda-383-440-OEM-Valve-Cover-Fasteners_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5182bdb15bQQitemZ350085820763QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

bull

Quote from: b5blue on December 19, 2009, 07:33:19 PM
On mine (440) the one just below and to the drivers side of the therm. housing. It's the only bolt not holding a bracket on (alt. & power steering on mine)

So this one?

maxwellwedge

I have a bunch of cars that almost all - if not all, have washers.

b5blue

You "arrowed" the correct one! However Maxwellwedge would be more of an expert on such details.  ::)

maxwellwedge

b5blue

bull

I figured since the kits come with only one washer that "correct" means the original engines came with only one. :shruggy:

b5blue

Interesting detail. I assume the washer is to prevent galling and cracking the cast housing so if I had a non power steering set up I would add washers where there were no brackets. I've had or repaired all kinds and makes of cars and am a stickler for getting such things proper. My car came with this 440 and I have no idea what 69 model it came from. After the 8 years it was a drag track war horse it could be missing all kinds details.

maxwellwedge

Well - The one bolt that hides behind the WP nipple (I'm starting to like the sound of that) always gets a washer - so maybe that is the washer some of these bolt re-sellers include. I would go with that one and use b5blue's suggestion of putting one on every other bolt that doesn't have a bracket mounted. I am going to check the engineering drawings that I have but I have seen it all over the map on original stuff.

gtx6970

gtx6970

free spinning captive washer nut - 1/4-28

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 20, 2009, 08:25:15 PM
stud
1/4-20 + 1/4-28

Thanks! Is this stuff from a kit or OE stuff you have? I couldn't figure out if the nuts were flange or captive washer so I grabbed some flange nuts today. IIRC the store does have some captive washer 1/4-28 so maybe I'll go that route. :2thumbs:

gtx6970

I've got them in kit form with all the bolts, studs and nuts or each piece avail individually .

Also, for the ones running a slightly thicker gasket than original, I have the studs avail in 1.25" length as well, BUT - the bolts I have only the one length

Kit -

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 21, 2009, 07:00:28 AM
I've got them in kit form with all the bolts, studs and nuts or each piece avail individually .

Also, for the ones running a slightly thicker gasket than original, I have the studs avail in 1.25" length as well, BUT - the bolts I have only the one length

Kit -

The Kit kit. :2thumbs: Thanks. I got some captive washer 1/4-28 nuts today and the correct studs. Thanks for your help.