News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What torque converter to wake up my new 69 Runner, with 440 and 3.91 gears?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, December 17, 2009, 01:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73TXRallye440 on May 03, 2010, 06:27:25 PM
Quote from: green69rt on December 17, 2009, 11:36:56 PM

First - deep sump transmission pan and extended pickup (adds cooling to the trans and 4 extra quarts of fluid to preserve the trans.)

how much is a deep sump transmission pan and extended pickup? Got a link to those so I can order online?

Several different brands of deep pans are available. I believe Summit sells a house brand deep cast aluminum pan for ~ $100 or so.  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

c00nhunterjoe

def not a 509, sounds like the 270/474. my buddy ran the same cam and his sounded exactly like yours does. not a bad cam, good street temperment, a 2500 stall would be great for that cam along with a nice dual plane intake

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 11, 2010, 10:08:19 PM
def not a 509, sounds like the 270/474. my buddy ran the same cam and his sounded exactly like yours does. not a bad cam, good street temperment, a 2500 stall would be great for that cam along with a nice dual plane intake

Been missing for awhile here and thanks for your feedback.  :cheers: Been out enjoying my 69 road runner and have taken it to several cruise nights where it has made a big splash, with its ralleye green paint (very straight body and nice paint job) and black steel wheels and black 6 pack fiberglass hood.

Per Ron's suggestion I have my Proform 750 double pumper carb on and dual plane Holley Street Dominator, and the car is running decent but DESPERATELY needs a converter as she is sluggish off the line, and Ron suggested the carb and intake to work in conjuction with the Dynamic 9.5 inch street/strip converter (should stall up to around 3500) and trans go shift kit that will be going in the car in the next several weeks after I free up some $. That is REALLY going to wake up my B-Body and that is what she REALLY needs right now more than anything.  

Stay tuned! :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1Bad70Charger

Thanks BSB now I only need her to get to run as fast as your 66/67 Charger Fastback (very impressive)!  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

motoreese

Hello gentlemen and ladie s,
I too am new to the muscle car scene. I bought my dream car last October after 35 years of dreaming. 69 Dodge Charger, I seapped the 383 out with a 440 I built myself. My first build and I'm quite proud of it. Bore out .040 over? Mild cam I think (came with motor so it could be stock) heads were triple cut, flat top aluminum Pistons, high rise Edlebrock performance intake manifold (a mopar guru said its a dual plain intake. Holley 750cfm, hooker headers, A727 trany with 3:23 gears in a posi trac 489 case. I realize the gears are quite high but I was hoping she would be able to break the tires loose since I just hit the 500 mile break in I desided to try a power brake and failed but I don't think I gave enough gas as my paranoid a$$ is afraid to break something.
I was chatting with a mopar man from this site but I didn't want to be a neucence...
I know the timing is of as it's hard to start when warm ( she cranks a lot before she starts. I'm picking up an advanced timing light today from harbor freight.
Does anyone know what the stock torque converter release RPM is?

John_Kunkel

There are dozens of "stock" converters; if your '69 has an original 383HP converter it's one of the highest stall ever offered from the factory.

I wouldn't gauge your converter's performance from the results of a partial throttle burnout (or any burnout).  ::)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Challenger340

Quote from: motoreese on November 18, 2014, 12:03:08 PM
Hello gentlemen and ladie s,
I too am new to the muscle car scene. I bought my dream car last October after 35 years of dreaming. 69 Dodge Charger, I seapped the 383 out with a 440 I built myself. My first build and I'm quite proud of it. Bore out .040 over? Mild cam I think (came with motor so it could be stock) heads were triple cut, flat top aluminum Pistons, high rise Edlebrock performance intake manifold (a mopar guru said its a dual plain intake. Holley 750cfm, hooker headers, A727 trany with 3:23 gears in a posi trac 489 case. I realize the gears are quite high but I was hoping she would be able to break the tires loose since I just hit the 500 mile break in I desided to try a power brake and failed but I don't think I gave enough gas as my paranoid a$$ is afraid to break something.
I was chatting with a mopar man from this site but I didn't want to be a neucence...
I know the timing is of as it's hard to start when warm ( she cranks a lot before she starts. I'm picking up an advanced timing light today from harbor freight.
Does anyone know what the stock torque converter release RPM is?

Off topic,
(but it does relate to available Torque down in low rpm's for pulling the Torque Convertor into stall)

Do you know what "brand" of .040" over Pistons were used in the rebuild ? or a Piston Part # ?
or better yet,
The "Compression Distance" of the .040" over Pistons used ?

also,
what year "stock" heads ?

I have to ask, as it may help others(and myself) in responses to your questions, in accurately assessing cylinder pressure, or "push" on the Crank.... as it relates to bottom end grunt available, for Timing/Tuning and Torque Converter function.

ALL 440 pistons are Flat Tops... just that some are notoriously very low in the Cylinder at TDC, which when used in conjunction with open chamber Cylinder Heads, and a composition style Head Gasket, can result in high 7's to 1 Compression Ratios, and inherently poor low rpm Torque.
NOT saying yours is....
just that it will be invaluable to know much of the above BEFORE proceeding, or receiving any Tuning advice ? ... so people know what they are dealing with/advising on ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !