News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hydraulic roller cam opinions

Started by flyinlow, December 16, 2009, 12:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I was interested in a hydraulic roller cam for long term street use.

446/ 10.5 cr./eddy heads /rpm intake/headers / a518 trans/ 3.55 axle    Current cam  Lunati Voodoo 60303  1800-6200 rpm hyd. 

I want more lift , slightly lower rpm range ( OD trans with lock up now, alot of time at less than 2000 rpm ) , descent idle , better milage , low valve train maintenance and use any synthetic oil .

Possible?

firefighter3931

Sure...anything is possible but the swap to roller is expensive. You also have the bronze gear and electric fuel pump to contend with.  :yesnod:

Roller's are not completely maintenance free....even hyd rollers.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

Yea , looked like close to $1500 . 

Hyd.roller cams do not have a fuel pump eccentric?

I read some of the other posts talking about 3k mile lifter and spring life. I assumed this was for .700+ lifts and much higher rpms then I subject a street cars engine to.

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on December 16, 2009, 05:07:56 PM
Yea , looked like close to $1500 . 

Hyd.roller cams do not have a fuel pump eccentric?

I read some of the other posts talking about 3k mile lifter and spring life. I assumed this was for .700+ lifts and much higher rpms then I subject a street cars engine to.

Yes, the roller cams have an eccentric/lobe but the core is Billet and will wear the stock pushrod down in a few hundred miles...not good.  :P

A few vendors sell a brass tipped fuel pump pushrod but i haven't heard any long term reports. Most guys just go electric fuel pump with a roller cam.  ;)

The 3k service interval applies to solid roller cams...the hyd roller sticks use less spring pressure so they're not hard on parts.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs