News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Frivolous color question for General Lee fans

Started by Ghoste, December 15, 2009, 10:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What color do you think looked best on the General Lee?

Hemi Orange
22 (48.9%)
Corvette Orange
15 (33.3%)
AMC Big Bad Orange
8 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Cooter

I'm sure that Every color known to man was used on that show at some point or another....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

This is interesting but we're starting to get a little misled.  Here's the facts:

#1 -  Don Schisler always said he used the Corvette shade after the initial Hemi orange.  
#2 -  LEE#1's surviving trunklid was computer scanned as the Corvette color.  
#3 -  The surviving Valuzet-built stuff shows a color that is very near the Vette color, and they picked it trying to copy the 3 georgia GLs they were sent.
#4 -  Rich Sephton said repeatedly that they used the Corvette shade too.
#5 -  The orange shade has been computer-scanned on at least 2 of the surviving GLs.  One is the Corvette color, and the other was AMC Big Bad Orange.  (AMC BBO is very similar to the Corvette color and it was the color used on the 2005 movie GLs.)
#6 -  The GL enterprises publicity cars were built with at least some info off the TV series cars.  They got the Corvette color.

-----------------------------------------

It's true that they hastily mixed all sorts of colors when doing repairs or rushed GL builds.  (Rich once told me they even used paint brushes sometimes!)  But nevertheless, there was still a specific "native" baseline orange color that they at least preferred the cars to be sprayed with.

Sorry if I'm getting too fan-boy anal.  i don't mean to start telling everyone how the build their own cars.  I'm just trying to keep the correct facts circulating.  If you wanna call any shade "THE" color on the Warner Bros TV cars, the Corvette shade has to be it IMHO.

------------------------------------------

Replicas?  I say build them however you want.  The hobby is more interesting with some variation and personal expression.  Dukes was all about being fast & loose & fun with these cars.  

:2thumbs:

MoparManJim

Mike, I mean no disrespeck here, but the question I belive was what color was the first GL? There for, it depends how that question was asked. As in which car was built first as the General Lee or which car was used first as the General Lee. So if they are asking about what shade the orange was on the first car built they will have to look at Lee3 then. But if they are asking about what shade of orange was used on the first Lee that was used that would be Lee1. 

But I think Lee3 was painted the same color as Lee1 was though.

200MPH

Quote from: jaak on December 17, 2009, 05:39:17 PM
Wasn't big bad orange used on the 2005 film cars? I thought I read that somewhere.

Jason

yes and it also An AMC color  and they call it big bad orange too
Charger

68charger383

This like this color the best for a GL   :coolgleamA:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

c00nhunterjoe

i personally dont feel that 68's and 70's should be painted as a general. just aint right, but thats my OPINION, not the rules of the game....lol

MoparManJim

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 18, 2009, 11:30:00 PM
i personally dont feel that 68's and 70's should be painted as a general. just aint right, but thats my OPINION, not the rules of the game....lol

Um.. do you know that 68's was also used as General on the series?  :lol:

Ghoste

Yeah, but they still meant for youto think it was a 69.  That said, I'm one of those freaks who thinks it's great to see virtually anything painted up as a GL. :yesnod:

Akron_Charger

I thought I read where Lee1 was a cheap ACME orange sprayed over the factory gold and the letters/numbers/flag was painted on. It definately wasnt as perfect as the replicas on this very site are!

MoparManJim

Quote from: Akron_Charger on December 22, 2009, 06:45:10 PM
I thought I read where Lee1 was a cheap ACME orange sprayed over the factory gold and the letters/numbers/flag was painted on. It definately wasnt as perfect as the replicas on this very site are!

On TBs dvd he says it a ACME orange but then again knowing his rep anymore how can we really belive what we hear though  :-\. Jon Holland would know the real asnwer though and folks can belive him when he says it. 

nelson_audet

69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

TylerCharger69

Mine is hemi orange...and it has proven to be a touch too dark for a GL...so i voted for big bad orange...like the movie cars.  I like that one the best

Grim Jhaixus

I like orange. Now if only they used some '73s...
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

Grim Jhaixus

Like this. Best General Lee ever! Just my  :Twocents:
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

ChargersETC..ETC..

Here is a paint code off a original surving General Lee directly from a website.
PPG Dav 2764
C- 70-wa-4667

I done a internet search for more info :
and this color is 1975-1976
Oem code 70
Orange Flame
Dupont 43462
Valspar-A 317
RM code 2817R
MS Code 8054
Azko Code Gma 75:70

Or in simple terms it's 1975 -1976 Corvette flame orange

Hope that helps :2thumbs:

jb666

Mine started life as Corvette Flame Red, and is now Hemi Orange.. I've always LOVED Hemi Orange, so there was no question in my mind...

Before:

After: