News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Frivolous color question for General Lee fans

Started by Ghoste, December 15, 2009, 10:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What color do you think looked best on the General Lee?

Hemi Orange
22 (48.9%)
Corvette Orange
15 (33.3%)
AMC Big Bad Orange
8 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Ghoste

Of the accepted colors that have been used for the General Lee over the years, which one is your personal favorite?  Do you have a preference for ones you see live over the ones seen on tv and film?
The question is frivolous but sometimes it's good to ask things just for the fun of it I guess.

69bronzeT5

Well, my all time favorite General Lee was Lee #1....that one was Hemi Orange wasn't it?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Topher

Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Ghoste

Matthan

68coronetGLwannabe

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Troy

Quote from: Topher on December 16, 2009, 07:38:41 AM
:scratchchin: wasn't the first one blue?
The first one was actually T5 then Corvette Flame Red then blue.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Topher on December 16, 2009, 07:38:41 AM
:scratchchin: wasn't the first one blue?

factory color of Lee #1 was Gold... ( if is about that what you talk, beside the joke ;D )

some clue:
http://www.generalleefanclub.com/build/paincode.html
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

charger01

gold, orange, blue, gold again, orange again.  :icon_smile_big:  wayne wooten states was hemi orange.....

Ghoste

Yes, it would be accurate to say that the FIRST orange used on a General Lee was Hemi Orange.

Troy

I think Wayne's information is based on the color of his car (not all General Lees). Aren't the Georgia era Lees considered to be Corvette Flame Red? Lee 1 definitely wasn't Hemi Orange.

Not that I pay any attention to different colors that I see on replicas and I certainly don't have a favorite.

Troy

JT01

200MPH

Charger

Mike DC

There's just no way to really know what you're getting when you see colors on film.

The "Natural Born Killers" Challenger prop car was painted EV2 Hemi orange, and yet look at it in the publicity pics:

Cooter

EXACTLY Mike...Hemi orange when photographed in the right light looks RED...Give it a few minutes and photograph it again and it looks More Orange than red...

We are having this VERY same debate on "Christine's" Red color right now...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

Quote from: Cooter on December 17, 2009, 07:45:38 AM
EXACTLY Mike...Hemi orange when photographed in the right light looks RED...Give it a few minutes and photograph it again and it looks More Orange than red...

We are having this VERY same debate on "Christine's" Red color right now...

Funny, I have the same problem with pictures with my R4 Bright Red paint on my car.  Sometimes it turns out orange, sometimes two tone.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

It seems like more people liked the Hemi Orange Generals though.  So now I am wondering if my little poll is being answered more along the lines of "what is your favorite color for a GL?" than "which color of the actual ones looked best in it's presented media?".  Which in hindishgt is closer to how I should have phrased the question?

Cooter

Thing is, NOBODY knows the EXACT color of The General Lee....It has always been a sourse of Speculation ONLY as even the ORIGINAL stunt/Body guys don't know for sure.....

Ghoste

Didn't know that.  Interesting, I thought it had been well established.  :scratchchin:

Troy

I don't know about that. Disregard names for a second and break a color down into pigments. There were a bunch of surviving General Lees and there was a well-preserved trunk lid found with/near Lee 1. Any of these could be used to color match the paint. Whether the color was custom mixed or off the shelf it wouldn't matter.

Troy

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on December 17, 2009, 12:38:10 PM
Didn't know that.  Interesting, I thought it had been well established.  :scratchchin:

One says it's "Hemi Orange" , then in the next thread, one says it's "Corv. Flame Red", then in the next thread, One says it was "Big Bad orange"....

Just like the big debate with closed chamber heads...You read one book, they tell you that "915" heads are the sh*t, then in the next issue, in that SAME Mag., they state "342" heads are the Sh*t....And so on...

I know for a FACT that some GM "greens" are the EXACT same color as CHRYSLER colors, so it would stand to reason that some GM/Ford/etc. colors would actually be the same color just with a different Code Number....

Ghoste

I'm aware that some of the Big 3 colors are exactly the same but I also know for a fact that Big Bad Orange, Hemi Orange, and Corvette Flame Red don't fall into that category.  All three have different numbers.

MoparManJim

The Lee1 was a factory gold painted over top of that with CFR.

Lee3 was the first car to be painted up in CA and transported down to GA for the filming as well with two other cars that was only half done when they was transported down. Lee3 was the promo car they used alot for alot of the car photos. Lee3 is also the car that has the doors open on the back of some of the VHS covers that is green. Lee3 only had the flag and name on but no numbers at the time. 

Lee1 was the first car as I am aware to be used for filming hench the name Lee1. 

But if you want to know what color the first Lee was try looking at Lee3 and not Lee1.

jaak

Wasn't big bad orange used on the 2005 film cars? I thought I read that somewhere.

Jason