News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Project '69 Resto Thread - Uh-Ohh... 10-18-14

Started by bill440rt, December 11, 2009, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Congratulations with your car Bill :cheers: I love the colour :smilielol: I'm happy that you finally can start to enjoy it.
Can you PM me about your breather/PVC valve on your valvecover? Don't have any and I'm seeing the consequences. :brickwall:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

TexasStroker

Looks great...glad to see you were able to get it out while the weather is still nice...hope you get a few more weekends before things get cold.  Car looks great, always nice to see something tastefully done that showcases so much folks here can tackle for their Chargers.  I'm sure you'll be flooded with PMs on various components you selected! 

I've got to say Bill is a super nice guy, back when I first joined up he went way out of his way to help me out with pics and advice on the trunk floor replacement.  I hate that you had to miss out on 6 months of showing and cruising, but for those of us just looking at pics and not in a reasonable enough radius to call shotgun the car came out great and seems worth the wait.  Exellent work!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

resq302

Well deserved congrats Bill!  Shame its pretty much that time of year to almost tuck it away for the winter. :RantExplode:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Back N Black

bill440rt

Thanks, guys. Really.
But... I couldn't have put this car together either if it wasn't for the help of LOTS of members right here on this forum. Yep, you know who you are. I confided with many of you for your advice, input, and opinions. That's what makes this forum so great to be a part of. Somehow we all help one another.

Per, you have PM regarding the breather & PCV!!  :2thumbs:

BTW, I checked out the car again. Brake system fittings appear to be bone dry. I'm going to try to get all the other little things tweaked prior to driving the car to my mechanic for the wheel alignment. That will be it's longest voyage so far, about 30min drive. Can't wait!!  :drive: :ricky:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

jaak

resq302

Funny, isn't it Bill, how one little thing makes you paranoid enough to go back and check it again, and again, and again!  I should know, I do the same thing.  After a while you kinda get used to the mentality of well, if it doesn't break.....something else will!   :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

472 R/T SE

I admit, normally I don't like it when colors, wheels, shifters' aren't correct for the corresponding year.

But wow, there's nothing even remote to factory stock on your ride and the fact it's so fricking unbelievably beautiful, none of that even crosses my mind looking at it.

We shouldn't be surprised, I think every thing you touch that I've seen turns out gold.  Let me guess, I bet you have the nicest yard in the 'hood?

:2thumbs:  from me & surprised my daughter was looking over my shoulder asking about it.   :2thumbs: from her too.

bill440rt

Thanks all again, really.  :cheers:

Brian, you're absolutely right. I am 100% mental by now. I should be institutionalized. I don't know if I'll ever be over Macho Grande.  :D

472, I'm glad to hear your daughter was admiring it, too. As far as my yard, well, I do take pride in my lawn.  ;)  This year it kinda went downhill, too many other things going on. Meanwhile, my neighbor NEVER mows his, there's dead trees & crap all over the place. The place almost looks abandoned. Can't even see the curbing from all the brush.  :flame: :flame:    Ah, well...

So, I put a few more miles on it and also during the trip to my mechanic for some final stuffs. This car REALLY is tight!! Max speed was only 55mph (damn traffic!), but there were no vibrations and it really handled well. I hated to even get out of the car. I did notice that the PS pump gets pretty hot, so I'm looking into a PS cooler. Any recommendations??  :shruggy:

My mechanic still has it. A/C is charged, and another wheel alignment was performed.

However... and this SUCKS BIG TIME, but he thinks the BRAND-NEW Stage 2 PS gearbox from Steer-n-Gear is leaking!!  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
I really, REALLY don't want to pull this apart again to swap out a PS box for another time. I'm going to stop by on Monday & scope out the problem. He said it's coming from the top, I can only hope it's coming from one of the fittings.
Stay tuned...
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Ah, yes.... :scratchchin: I remember Macho Grande!   :lol:

good grief Bill.   You could write a book with all the problems you have had!  Oh wait, you have been..... its just Ive been reading each page as it has been written.    :smilielol:
Brian

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bill440rt on November 06, 2010, 09:27:53 PM

However... and this SUCKS BIG TIME, but he thinks the BRAND-NEW Stage 2 PS gearbox from Steer-n-Gear is leaking!!  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
I really, REALLY don't want to pull this apart again to swap out a PS box for another time. I'm going to stop by on Monday & scope out the problem. He said it's coming from the top, I can only hope it's coming from one of the fittings.
Stay tuned...

Firm Feel stage 2 here...  Been there, done that, still leaking.   :rotz:    I've stopped telling people to get these anymoore.    My plan for Sinnamon is put new seals in old box, paint it and turn down the pressure at the pump.    Let me know if you find where it's coming from.

Otherwise congrats again on the beautiful build!   :2thumbs:  :coolgleamA:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

bad88t-top

Hey Bill, How's it going?  I was just thinking of your car while watching the Steeler game so I figured I'd look you up.   It appears the cars done and the pictures look stunning.  Do you plan on going to Carlisle in 2011?  At this point I plan on attending so I hope to see you and the cars there.   Once again, the 69 looks stunning.
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bill440rt

Quote from: bad88t-top on November 28, 2010, 03:23:55 PM
Hey Bill, How's it going?  I was just thinking of your car while watching the Steeler game so I figured I'd look you up.   It appears the cars done and the pictures look stunning.  Do you plan on going to Carlisle in 2011?  At this point I plan on attending so I hope to see you and the cars there.   Once again, the 69 looks stunning.

Hey, Bill!!  :wave:
I'm hoping to pick up the car today from my mechanic. The pesky steering box leak luckily turned out to be just a fitting on the top as I suspected. Another oil leak was found at the fuel pump gasket, so that was replaced also. These things were just so hard to see up on jackstands in my garage, so much easier with a lift.
The engine sounds like it is now making a kind of intermittent "squeak" at low rpm's. The sound gets faster as the rpm's increase, then disappears. Sounded like it was coming from the driver's side. We pulled the valve cover, but everything looked OK. I have to look into that some more. I guess all these little bugs are expected when building a car from scratch.  :scratchchin:

Hotel is already booked for this year for Carlisle!!  :woohoo:   Same place as last year. I really want to bring this car. Looking forward to seeing you there as well!!

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 28, 2010, 03:37:10 PM
WOW Bill.....the car looks frickin' DEADLY! :coolgleamA:

Thanks, Cody! It's slowly sending me to an early grave!!!  :brickwall:

bill440rt

I did a little upgrading to the '69 so far over the winter.
The little leaks & things have all been addressed. I also tidied up some other small things. I still need to change the driver's header gasket, there is a slight leak which is what the "squeak" sound turned out to be.  :scratchchin:
I'm looking forward to spring so I can finally fine-tune the damn thing!  :boogie:

So, the audio system in the car was never really finalized. The modern-converted thumbwheel radio would not work right with all the aftermarket goodies, so an Alpine head unit was just tucked under the seat with hopes of remote-mounting the faceplate. Well, Alpine does not make a harness for this so you have to make one yourself with some computer ribbon cable, a soldering iron, and some ingenuity. Then, it might not work properly given the distance of the cable and the amount of current needed to communicate between the faceplate & head unit.

The answer?
This:

http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

It comes with a little cable-operated faceplate that is only about 1/2" deep and you can mount it almost anywhere. You could even put it in the sunvisor if you wanted to. It also has a little remote. There are RCA cables for the amp, sub-amp, etc. You can hook up a mp3/iPod, CD changer, or even Sirius.

We put the faceplate in the console. We ran the cable for the iPod also in the console, and there is a 1/8" headphone jack in the ashtray for an mp3 player.
At 200 watts, combined with both of the Alpine amps in the trunk, it sounds frikkin' amazing!!  :punkrocka:
It turned out to be a really impressive little unit.

Once I re-install the driver's seat, it will hide the main SST head unit & wiring.

bill440rt

A few more...

resq302

Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looking good my Mann....whats the switch for in the console?  Rocket launcher? Turbo Boost? Smoke Screen?  :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 13, 2011, 09:12:12 AM
Looking good my Mann....whats the switch for in the console?  Rocket launcher? Turbo Boost? Smoke Screen?  :scratchchin:

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Actually, you're not too far off. It's the cruise/performance dual-mode switch for the Keisler trans.
See page 5 of this thread.  :2thumbs:

earnie

resq302

So Bill....... is the 69 going to make its E-town debut this weekend?
Brian