News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are the differences between an RT and non-RT Charger?

Started by jeryst, December 07, 2009, 04:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeryst

Lets say that you have a 69 RT Charger with a 383 auto, and a plain Jane 69 Charger with a 383 auto.
Standard factory equipment on both. Nothing extra ordered.

What would be different on the RT?

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jeryst

mikepmcs

That, and badging, the first 2 digits of the serial number...
this link should really help

http://www.allpar.com/model/charger.html
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Ghoste

It's been well covered on this site too in the past but damned if I can find one of the threads now.

Cooter

That's just it, a 440 Magnum Standard on the R/T Charger and Optional Hemi..
With the "R/T" Package came heavy duty Brakes (Disc in Front, but sucked), Heavy duty T-bars, Heavy Duty Suspension (Ie: Springs, shocks, etc), Usually, a sway bar, Badging...You could upgrade even furhter if you liked with interior options, color, and the like...I'm sure I missed something, but you get the idea...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Discs weren't standard on the RT unless it was ordered with the Hemi.  The sway bar was standard on B-body muscle car.

myk

Yeah, their idea of heavy duty brakes involved going from 10" drums to 11" drums, lol...

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: myk on December 07, 2009, 10:18:49 PM
Yeah, their idea of heavy duty brakes involved going from 10" drums to 11" drums, lol...

Those 11 inch drums stopp pretty dang well when setup properly!.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Agreed.  Chrysler gets a bad rap for not jumping into disc brakes as quickly as Ford and GM but those 11 inch drums had a fair amount of swept area to work with.  The only real problem was fade under repeated panic stops.  We all have to perform repeated panic stops don't we?
Now when you look at something like a 66 GTO with it's little 9 inch drums and that makes you nervous.

myk

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on December 07, 2009, 10:22:26 PM
Quote from: myk on December 07, 2009, 10:18:49 PM

Those 11 inch drums stopp pretty dang well when setup properly!.

I'm just biased against drum brakes in general.  I hate drum brakes.  My gf's brand new Escape had drum brakes on the back and I couldn't believe it!  Drum brakes belong in a museum along with bias ply tires and ammeter gauges.  As for stopping well, no drum brake stops well after a few hard stops.  Of course, panic stopping doesn't happen every other second, but I tried to do the impossible with my Charger which was to road race it and the drum brakes were out of the question...

Ghoste

Oh, there's no doubt your bias is warranted, the disc has too many superior qualities.  Just saying that the Mopar 11 inch drum on a typically driven street car deserves more respect than it gets as of late.

myk

Yeah you know I don't think I ever got that 11 inch setup working properly. Oh well...

Ghoste

I would think that for road racing you probably made the right choice.  :lol:

Brock Samson

Also good to know is that the R/T (Road & Track) option didn't start for the Charger till 1968, pior to that it was avail. on the 1967 Coronet, for the Charger, Coronet and Challanger the R/T desigation stopped in 1972 replaced by the "Rally", and the Coronet lost all Hi perfomance designations in 1971, when the entry level Super Bee designation was only found in the two door Charger Body style.
The 1970/71 Challanger R/T can be found with a 383 and the other optional motor for all these R/Ts was the 440 Six Pack motor which bridged the gap performance wise with the 426 HEMI.
This is probably clear as mud..  :shruggy:  :lol:

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on December 07, 2009, 11:34:12 PM
I would think that for road racing you probably made the right choice.  :lol:

Don't think I didn't try though.  Man, those were scary, stupid days.  Obviously, in my older age I don't approve of unsanctioned drag or road racing, especially with drum brakes, but I gotta say those were the days...