News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 27, 2011, 06:09:40 AM

Thanks for taking the time and effort to detail your restoration. I'm finding each update to be invaluable.

What is the 2nd straight bracket for (with the slotted holes)?

t's interesting to see that the inside of the nose cone is painted black, but the insides of the fenders and valance are primer.
Richard,
You are welcome! I am sharing my story for all to see the road traveled! It's not as easy as it looks! Also with our Daytona being in storage for most of it's life I wanted to share the items commonly deteriorated or replaced. One item recently pictured was the headlight actuators that were originally a red varnish looking color.
  I will reply about the jack hold down piece in the next post.
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 27, 2011, 11:12:57 AM
Slotted hole bracket not used on daytona .As the bumper jack is secured by floor bracket and spring on the left side .A superbird and some other b body where bumper jack is behind the spare used that bracket to secure bumper jack to trunk floor  :Twocents:
Dave is exactly right on this one! I don't know how that non Charger B Body jack hold down got in with the Daytona jack parts? I tend to group things together in boxes for stoarge and laying flat in a corner it may have slipped through? It will go to good use on the Superbird. I have attached two pictures. The first picture is of the jack hold down bracket in my 1970 GTX. You will notice a button that sticks out for that slotted piece to slide over. The little wing nut then goes through the other threaded hole and secures the jack base and hold down! The second picture is of a Charger hold down and notice no button to slide that slotted piece over! Also there is no threaded spot for the wing nut to thread into! That is because the jack has the hook as part of the lift mechanism and won't sit flat under the spare tire! So the jack is stowed on the drivers side from the top of the wheel tub down to the floor at the back and the slotted piece is not used!
Mopar John

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 27, 2011, 12:17:10 PM
John - How come they didn't take the bumper jack apart to paint it?
Jim,
Time is the only thing I can think of? We were days from picking up the Daytona for Talladega and the jacks at one point were not going to be in the Daytona or unrestored. I know Troy was out in the shop several nights long after his help went home for the day trying to get as much detail into the Daytona as possible!
Mopar John

Mopar John

ALIGNMENT DAY!!
With the Daytona just about finished it was time to take it for an alignment! We didn't want to go to Talladega and have something BADD happen at speed! The first picture shows the Daytona being backed out of the shop for the first time under it's own power! WOW! The second and third pictures are  of it out in the driveway headed for the trailer! The last picture is of the Daytona driving up the trailer ramp!

Mopar John

ALIGNMENT DAY PART 2!
The first picture of this batch shows the Daytona now in the trailer! The second picture is of the Daytona over at the alignment shop on the rack looking at the passengers side. The third picture is up on the rack looking from the back. The last picture is of the drivers side. Troy uses this shop for all his alignments. They have a technician that has the experiance and specs to align the older cars correctly!

Mopar John

HUBCAPS!
With the alignment done and the Daytona back at the shop it was time to put the hubcaps on! I was able to purchase 3 NOS hubcaps from Valley Vintage Auto and the 4th NOS one from Frank Mitchell! The first picture in this batch is a close up of the hub area. The second picture is of the tire/wheel. The tires at the time were repros and were later replaced with 3 NOS and 2 correct original low milage tires! The third picture is of the back side of one of the NOS hubcaps. The last picture is a close up of the label that was on the back of the hubcaps.

Mopar John

THE DAYTONA IS READY FOR TALLADEGA! WOW!!!
We'll folks it's taken me longer to do this story than it took Troy to restore the Daytona! This is it! The last of the pictures! The first picture is the first picture to be taken of the Daytona completed before Talladega! It is parked outside Troy's shop with the next Daytona to be restored there! The second picture is another of the completed Daytona@#%#$!!!!!!!! You know the rest of the story about Talladega since I jumped ahead to tell about that!
 At this time I would like to thank my wife Linda for the support and financial comitment to the restoration! Also thanks to Troy and Eli Angelly and Paul Jacobs for a killer restoration resulting in several high awards. Thanks to the Schellinger family for the club to keep the interest in these cars going along with all the rare parts! To all the folks who helped with the parts many from this forum! Speaking of this forum, thanks for giving me a place to tell my story!
                                                    WHAT'S NEXT?
 We'll, I will have a couple of posts on some things that happened after shows were over! After that will be current events and the upcoming restoration of our EK2 orange 440 six pack Superbird! Our goal is to have it finished for Talladega 2014!!

nascarxx29

Need a extra nos hubcap
http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/query.asp?section=WHEELS&year=0&make=Chrysler
D COR, DART 68-69  DOME TYPE "DODGE DIVISION" WHL COVER W/ 14" (SA 2881763)  2881764  NOS  0  $180 
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

jonw29

As Don Meredith would say "Turn out the lights the party is over."John I enjoyed the story and the restoration.When does the next one start. :lol:

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

nascarxx29

That finished the blue car .When s the red car getting started

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 01, 2011, 12:55:15 PM
Need a extra nos hubcap
http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/query.asp?section=WHEELS&year=0&make=Chrysler
D COR, DART 68-69  DOME TYPE “DODGE DIVISION” WHL COVER W/ 14” (SA 2881763)  2881764  NOS  0  $180 
Dave,
Thanks for the lead on the extra NOS hubcap! They show a quantity of 0 now and will have to check and see if one is actually available. Recently I picked up an extra NOS center of EBAY!
Mopar John

Mopar John

Quote from: jonw29 on February 01, 2011, 01:05:57 PM
As Don Meredith would say "Turn out the lights the party is over."John I enjoyed the story and the restoration.When does the next one start. :lol:
Quote from: moparstuart on February 02, 2011, 08:49:05 AM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 01, 2011, 10:40:39 PM
and the superbird 
Guys,
The next wing car out of our stable to be restored is our EK2 440 six pack Superbird! That way we will have one of each done! We have been saving up the funds and buying parts! The appointment at Troy Angelly's shop is this coming November! It will not be a rush job like the Daytona! We want it finished in time for the next Talladega reunion in 2014!
Mopar John

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 01, 2011, 10:40:39 PM
Dave,
As I posted above our Superbird is next! The R4 red Daytona has come a long way with all the parts that were purchased and restored during the B5 Daytona restoration. Right now our plan for the R4 Daytona is a complete restoration with a panther pink paint job, white stripe and interior. We are also planning a set of repro recall wheels and just maybe a late model 6.1 SRT type HEMI. We will put the matching numbers engine and trans in storage!
Mopar John

Mopar John

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on February 02, 2011, 02:02:00 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 01, 2011, 01:36:14 PM
:notworthy:
Troy,
You followed the story as much as anyone!
Thanks! Mopar John

As they say, "How could I not?"....  Maybe I'll have the same thing for the 500 one day............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

MORE NOS???
With the Daytona restoration finished I've been asking myself can I make it even better? Don't get me wrong here, the Daytona turned out way better than we ever had imagined it would. We found a lot of rare NOS during the short time it was being restored! I couldn't beleive all the Rare NOS and assembly line NOS that was found 40+ years later! So I decided that if I did find a nice NOS part that could replace something reproduction that I would try to buy it! Recently I bought an NOS power steering belt part number 2951202. When I received it, it looked more like the Quanta reproductions than the original power steering belt off the Superbird. So I contacted Quanta and asked them if there were any differances between their reproduction belts and the originals? They replied with a big no! You can't tell the differance! So I posted a thread on Moparts and got several responses. The one that really set the reproductions apart from the originals was from Paul Jacobs. Paul told me to weigh the used original and then weigh the Quanta reproduction I used and then weigh my newly aquired NOS? belt. Here are the results:
worn out original - 3.2oz
known Quanta - 2.8oz
Newly aquired NOS? - 2.8oz
I stacked up all three with the original used in the middle and took a couple of pictures for the Moparts post. I will attach them here also! As the reproductions get better this type of thing known or not known is going to happen more often!

On a related note does anyone have a picture of an original Daytona 2806216 alternator belt? I have been told two differant versions of what is correct? The first version is that they should be a heat stamped number like the power steering belt discussed above? The second version is that they were starting to use the painted on part numbers at that time and they are also correct? 
Thanks! Mopar John

nascarxx29

My cars original belts .I chalked them to get better pictures

maxwellwedge

You also had a least two vendors   Goodyear and Gates.

Here is the P/S belt on my 69-1/2.

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 11, 2011, 11:47:31 AM
  My cars original belts .I chalked them to get better pictures

Dave,
Thanks for the picture of your 2 original belts chaulked up! A very good reference for us!
Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 12, 2011, 10:03:14 AM
You also had a least two vendors   Goodyear and Gates.

Here is the P/S belt on my 69-1/2.
Jim,
Thanks for your photo also! Yours looks a lot more like the Quantas!
Mopar John

Mopar John

MY JAMMED PACKED MOPAR WEEKEND!!
With us being short handed at work this past weekend was a rare Saturday and Sunday off! I had it jammed packed full of Mopar activity! Friday morning I filled up Linda's Durango with parts for the CMC ( Chicagoland Mopar Connection ) winter swap on Sunday! I switched vehicles on the way to work. Saturday Linda and I headed up to Rob Brombackers place close to Detroit to pick up the rear glass for the R4 Daytona! If you remeber we had switched the Daytona back glasses for Talladega and after Rob polished the original B5 glass we switched back. I had the R4 glass with us at the Mopar Nationals and when Rob came down to check out the Daytona I asked him if he would take the other glass with him and polish it. He said yes and finished it about a week and a half ago! WOW!! Is all I can say because it came out flawless! While at Rob's we inspected more glass to be polished for the up coming EK2 Superbird restoration! I took all my correct date coded glass and we went through it. Rob now has the best of it to polish! We also discussed his 1968 Coronet R/T restoration and many other NOS parts. In our discussion he asked me if I had any CORRECT spark plugs? I told him I had a set of original Champion J-11Y's in the B5 Daytona. He then brought out a set of 8 still in the original CHRYSLER/CHAMPION box spark plugs!! He told me that he could spare a set and I gladly agreed to buy them! Just another more correct piece of the puzzle! When Rob and I were done Linda and I headed for home. About an hour towards home is one of our favorite restaurants called Schulers. We stopped there for a nice dinner and agreed with the busy weekend it would be our VALANTINE dinner! We got home around 9pm and I unloaded the parts and put the back glass still wrapped where it belongs in the window plug of the R4 Daytona! I have attached a picture of the glass back where it belongs! I have also attached a couple of pictures of the NOS Chrysler/Champion spark plugs! Enjoy!

Mopar John

MY JAMMED PACKED MOPAR WEEKEND PART 2!!
Sunday morning we were up at 4am ( ouch! ) to make it to Chicago for the 6am vendor set up at the CMC swap! The Durango was already loaded since Friday and we were on our way! No problems and set up went very smooth! Right off the bat I sold a $300.00 dollar part and was feeling good about the swap! Then my good friend Don Bishop stops by my space and informs me that he brought his original B Body floor along!! Don had done some plumbing for Linda's new bathroom and I told him that I didn't want to put an AMD reproduction floor in the Superbird if I didn't have to! He then tells me he has an original floor that he would sell me! WOW@#%^&! He was supposed to call me when he got it out and let me know the condition. He got busy and didn't call but knew I would be at the swap and brought it along! We'll I bought his trunk floor and he delivered it this morning. I have attached a picture of it setting in my shop! While in Don's swap space I spot some NOS disc bake pads. You guessed it, they fit the Superbird! So I bought those also! Now here is the BIG NEWS! When I was buying all the NOS from Doug AERO426 on this site for the B5 Daytona I had asked him about his NOS Superbird fenders. We came to an agreement several weeks ago and I mailed him a deposit and agreed to meet at the swap! Doug is from the Milwaukee area and this was about a half way point! No shipping worries! Doug arrived with the NOS Superbird fenders as promised and I paid him the rest of what I owed and loaded them for the trip home in the Durango! I have attached a picture of them at home safe and sound with the NOS nose cone! WOW! What a weekend! Linda and I stopped at our favorite hamburger diner on the way home and took it easy last evening! With all the Superbird activity starting to take place I updated the name of my post to include the Superbird!
Mopar John

Mopar John

WHAT DID THE JUDGES MISS?
A good friend was over looking at the Daytona and during our conversation he asks, What did the judges miss?
Here is one of those items! At the Mopar Nationals and the Louisville Concours D' Elegance the judges checked out all the lights. In both cases there was a judge watching what was done in the Daytona and another watching for the correct light to activate. I had noticed that when the dimmer switch was turned all the way up and clicked that the dome light didn't come on with the door closed #$%^&*()! All the switches were NOS or restored and worked perfectly at Talladega! Some where along the line the dome light switch quit functioning! At both shows the judge wanted to make sure I wasn't flipping a toggle switch under the dash or something and held the door open. So when the dome light switch clicked it was good enough and I was relieved! About this time I saw an ad on Moparts for a Devin Duke who repairs these switches. I contacted him and sent him all my extra parts. He restored a switch and sent it back. I reached up under the dash and pulled the correct plug off and put it on the new switch and it didn't work either! :brickwall: So now maybe it isn't the switch after all? I crawled under the dash and removed the switch in the Daytona. What a job curled up under there trying not to mess anything up! I then got out my original repair manual and studied the wire diagrams. I then got out a small battery charger and started testing! After becoming very familiar with these switches I came to realize something else was wrong? I then got a piece of wire and put one end in the dome light connector and went to ground with the other and the dome light came on? After a few more tries I decided that it was probably a bad connection in that plug! After cleaning it up I reinstalled the original switch and it works perfectly now! So I now have a good spare dimmer switch and working dome light! I have attached a picture of what it looks like under the dash when your twisted up underneath there trying to get a couple of tiny screws out without swallowing it when it falls down in your face!
Mopar John