News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT BUCKETS!
The next several batches of pictures will be of the headlight buckets and end plates! This first two pictures in this batch show the left and right buckets already prepped and filler applied. The third picture is of the end plates with filler applied and the last picture is of the right bucket sanded.

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT BUCKETS CONTINUED!
The first picture in this batch shows the left bucket sanded. The next two pictures are of the left and right headlight bucket from the outside. The last picture is of the end plates.

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT BUCKETS PART 3!
  This batch of pictures is of the bucket end plates. The first picture is of the right end plate from the outside. The second picture is of the right end plate from the inside. The third picture is of the left end plate from the outside and the last in this batch is of the end plates painted!

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT BUCKETS FINAL!
The first picture in this batch shows the headlight buckets painted and ready for assembly! The second picture is of all the nose internals hanging on the rack painted and ready!! The last picture is of the NOS nose grille frame that I bought from Doug Schellinger sanded and ready for primer! This is the last of the pictures for today! ENJOY!

1969chargerrtse

:drool5:
Just amazing work.  I would take it this type of detail and hours is becuase it's a keeper?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mopar John

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 22, 2010, 06:39:56 PM
:drool5:
Just amazing work.  I would take it this type of detail and hours is becuase it's a keeper?
1969chargerrtse,
It is definately a keeper! I have had it since 1982 and sort of created my own barn find! Originally it was going to be just an average restoration and now were going for OE restored. Thanks for the positive comment!
Mopar John

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT DOORS!
This batch of pictures will be about the headlight doors. The first picture shows them sanded down to the raw fiberglass. The second and third pictures show the left and right doors from the top side with filler applied and sanded. The last picture shows them in primer and ready for the next step!

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT DOORS AND QUARTER EXTENSIONS!
This batch of pictures has another shot of the headlight doors in primer and a couple of pictures of the quarter extensions in primer and ready also! The last picture is of the original correct date code rear bumper jack. At this point I'm thinking that there should be some pictures of blue paint soon?

Mopar John

BACK ON THE ROTISSORIE!!
With all the nose components ready and the body all block sanded and primed it was time to put the Daytona back on the rotissorie! The next step would be to sand the entire bottom of the body again! Then Troy did his special process to restore the factory drip marks and runs! The first picture in this batch shows the body in primer and up on it's side. The second picture is of the trunk floor ready for final primer. The third picture is of the body floor ready for primer. The last picture is of the trans tunnel area ready for primer.

Mopar John

DAYTONA BOTTOM CONTINUED!
This batch of pictures continues with the prep of the bottom and final primer! The first picture is of the emergency brake cable bracket area. The second picture is the bottom of one of the frame rails. The last two pictures show the final dark gray primer going on!!!! WOW!!

Mopar John

DAYTONA BODY BOTTOM FINAL!
This is the last batch of pictures of the Daytona body from the bottom side. The first picture is another shot of the final primer that looks to be dry at this point. The second and third pictures are close ups of the factory drips recreated by Troy! The last picture in this batch is Troys recreation of a factory runs! These recreations were based on what was found on the Daytona body when it was disassembled! ENJOY!

jonw29

John.I think that I may like the restoration process as much as the finished product.Good stuff.

Dan T

Troy's work is incredible. I can't wait to see this car in person!!
1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

Mopar John

Quote from: jonw29 on June 23, 2010, 11:32:14 AM
John.I think that I may like the restoration process as much as the finished product.Good stuff.
jonw29,
I am enjoying this part of it also! This time there is no deadline and it's all paid for!
Quote from: Dan T on June 23, 2010, 11:28:47 PM
Troy's work is incredible. I can't wait to see this car in person!!
Dan T,
Hopefully you can make it to the Mopar Nationals in August and see our Daytona!
Thanks! Mopar John

Mopar John

NOSE ASSEMBLY!
This morning I downloaded over 300 pictures from a CD that was with the invoice dated 9-3-09! This work was all done by then and Talladega was less than two months away @#$%^&*()!??
   This first batch of pictures show the start of the process of assembling the nose! The first picture is of the headlight door spring brackets painted. The second picture is of the headlight door stops. The third picture shows all the nose hardware restored and laid out ready for assembly ( I really liked this picture). The last picture is of the headlight bracket ready to be rivited to the headlight door.

Mopar John

NOSE ASSEMBLY CONTINUED!
  This batch of pictures shows more of the headlight door assembly! The first three pictures show the rivits joining the headlight brackets to the doors. The last picture is of the completed door assemblies!

Mopar John

NOSE ASSEMBLY PART 3!
  This batch of pictures show the door stops on and final nose assembly! The first picture is of the door stops on. The second and third picture show the nose assembled from the inside. The last picture shows the passengers side support going on!

Mopar John

NOSE ASSEMBLY FINAL!
This batch of pictures is the last of the nose assembly pictures! The first picture is of the drivers side support on. The second picture is of the completed nose assembly from the front side. The third picture is of the nose assembly from the back side and now mounted on the jig for B5 outer paint!! The last picture shows the nose assembly from the front side and masked off and ready for B5 blue paint%#^(! WOW! Notice all the work Troy put into the alignment of the headlight doors. They not only fit in the openings correctly but they also mate up with the nose surface perfectly. This is a real tough area on the wing cars. ENJOY!

Mopar John

OUT OF ORDER?
My intentions with this story was to keep it in order! In this large batch of pictures are some of the headlight buckets and bottom of the nose before restoration. I wanted to add them now since you would have just seen the same components ready for paint. This first batch is of the headlight bucket assemblies. The first two pictures are left and right views of the right side assembly. The third picture is of the vacum actuator and the last is of the door assembly.

Mopar John

BOTTOM OF NOSE BEFORE RESTORATION!
This batch of three pictures are all of the bottom of the nose before restoration! The Daytona had been moved around the salvage yard by a big payloader and also had been on the ground for a while! I have to work three doubles this weekend due to vacations! So, I will give you a break from my posting for a few days.

hemi68charger

John,, great pics of the nose...   Thanks.........  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

ROOF BRACES!
After a couple of doubles and a twelve hour shift I finally only worked eight today! Last night I lost a bunch of time trying to get my e-mail working and again today to no avail? Now back to the Daytona. Earlier I had posted some pictures of the inside roof and all the surface rust. Troy removed the roof braces which made it easier to work on any dents in the roof and prep the underside. With the body ready it was time to get the roof braces ready and reinstall them! This batch of pictures shows some of that work. The first picture is of the roof braces as they came out of the Daytona. The second picture shows them after they have been blasted. The third picture shows them in primer and ready to be reinstalled. The next batch of pictures will show the rest!

Mopar John

ROOF BRACES CONTINUED!
This batch of pictures show the reinstallation of the roof braces and how it looked when done! The first two pictures show them clamped in place and the last two pictures show what the body looked like with them reinstalled! ENJOY!

Mopar John

BODY PREP!
The body is getting close to paint! This batch has some of the body prep work! This batch shows the work done to the trunk floor to make it look like it did from the factory!

Mopar John

MORE BODY PREP!
This batch has one more picture of the trunk floor work and then a picture of the trunk hinges. The last two in this batch is the start of the seam sealer! These two pictures are of the left and right sides of the cowl area! When I return it will be pictures of the rest of the seam sealer!