News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is this the right carb?

Started by 72charger440, December 07, 2009, 12:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72charger440

this is what i got a 750 or 850 cfm double pumper holley i got for free and i put it on my 440 when i rebuilt it and my dad and  i keep having to reset the needle valve and seat in it because upon start up the engine wont start and u have 2 put ur foot on the gas to give it more air 2 start upon start up it will run as long as u have ur foot in it , but if u let the engine go down to an idle it will stall and u see burnin gas smoke come out of the carb and if u look into the carbs bowl u can see the ventures lettin gas go into the engine. i dont know whats goin on. please help

heres my build
72 440 bored .30 over  comp ratio 10.1 to 1
factory heads ported and polished factory valves and rockers
edelbrock performer cam
edelbrock intake manifold
750 or 850 double pumper holley
factory crank and conneting rods
forged aluminum pistons  sealed power
edelbrock timimg chain
mildon oilpump
sixpack fuelpump
other than that its all factory
what do u guys think i need 2 fix this before i screw up my piston rings
this is my new engine i dont want 2 srew it up. thanks
72 charger SE 440 big block  
mopar or no car!!!!

FLG

Was this carb new? Used? Rebuilt??

72charger440

it was used but my dad rebuilt it at his shop.
mopar or no car!!!!

FLG

Has it been tested when he rebuilt it? Not doubting your pops, but sometimes we do mess up. Have you tried turning out the idle screws a bit? Also, if your breaking in a new engine you really dont want to run it at idle.

72charger440

yeah he did test it down at his shop , and yeah were always having 2 mess with the idle screw, we already broke the engine in awhile ago  at the higher rpm to break in the flat tap cam , its never really been driven it just runs in my driveway i may have driven it like 3 times  , the engine total hrs of runing might be around 4 ,4 1/2 hs thanks for the help FLG. oh wait when he orginally rebuilt the carb my dad just informed me that one of the needle valve and seats were gone from the rebuild kit so he had to reuse one of the old ones over that was one of the probs with it was the old needle valve saw stikin , but we just replaced it with a new on from napa like 2 days ago, but its till doin it  my dads wonderin if mayb the fuelpump is given the carb 2 much pressure and the needle valves cant take it?
mopar or no car!!!!

Cooter

Sounds to me like there's a reason that carb was free...If a Holley is dribbling fuel into the engine and the float adjustment will NOT correct it, then time for a new carb before you ruin that fresh 440....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

72charger440

ive never heard of a carb goin bad, but i guess it could happen. and another reason its strange if it is the carb came off  an old drag engine my friend had and it workd when it was on the engine it was just leaking and plus he got a new on and he told me i could just have it if i wantd 2 so im unsure. could the fuel pump b givin 2 much pressure and its breakin the needle valve and seats from the pressure?
mopar or no car!!!!

Ghoste

alcusswhen

Quote from: 72charger440 on December 07, 2009, 12:42:10 AM
this is what i got a 750 or 850 cfm double pumper holley i got for free and i put it on my 440 when i rebuilt it and my dad and  i keep having to reset the needle valve and seat in it because upon start up the engine wont start and u have 2 put ur foot on the gas to give it more air 2 start upon start up it will run as long as u have ur foot in it , but if u let the engine go down to an idle it will stall and u see burnin gas smoke come out of the carb and if u look into the carbs bowl u can see the ventures lettin gas go into the engine. i dont know whats goin on. please help

Ether you have the floats set to high or the floats are no good or the needle and seats are no good. You need to take it back apart and recheck everything. Buy the way that raw gas running in is killing your rings and cylinder walls not to mention what its doing to the bearings.

heres my build
72 440 bored .30 over  comp ratio 10.1 to 1
factory heads ported and polished factory valves and rockers
edelbrock performer cam
edelbrock intake manifold
750 or 850 double pumper holley
factory crank and conneting rods
forged aluminum pistons  sealed power
edelbrock timimg chain
mildon oilpump
sixpack fuelpump
other than that its all factory
what do u guys think i need 2 fix this before i screw up my piston rings
this is my new engine i dont want 2 srew it up. thanks

Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Yeah, but is it the actual Six Pack replacement pump or is it one of the  Hemi style ones that are frequently referred to as a Six Pack or Magnum pump or any number of other trick names?  And if it is the larger Carter style pump with the bolt together body is the street one or a race one?  "Six Pack pump" seemed a little vague to me.  :shruggy:
Maybe a better question is, what is your fuel pressure?

72charger440

2 be honest im not sure if its a sixpack fuelpump when i bought it from autozone i asked what type they had they had 2 dif syles the said one was for a regular 4bbl and the other was for the sixpack engine and it was a high output so im not sure
mopar or no car!!!!

Ghoste

I was going to ask if the body of the pump was bolted together or crimped together but if it's an auto parts replacement pump it's probably safe to say that excessive fuel pressure is not the problem.  It can't hurt to check if you the means to do so just to rule out it for certain but it comes in pretty low on the suspect list IMO.

alcusswhen

Quote from: 72charger440 on December 09, 2009, 10:25:44 PM
2 be honest im not sure if its a sixpack fuelpump when i bought it from autozone i asked what type they had they had 2 dif syles the said one was for a regular 4bbl and the other was for the sixpack engine and it was a high output so im not sure

The pump is a high out put pump not a high pressure pump. No matter how many carbs you have or what kind of carb. They can only stand 9.5 psi max or your going to have flooding problems.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T