News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Perks of the job...

Started by myk, December 03, 2009, 03:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

For the last few months I've been a store manager for a Valvoline lube shop.  One of the things we have to do is go to nearby Hertz rental car locations and pick up cars for service.  Over the last few weeks I've had a chance to drive cars that muscle car folk, including myself, would normally laugh at: Mazda 6, 3, Pontiac Vibe/Matrix, a Toyota Corolla S and others.  You know what?  I freaking enjoyed tearing around town in those things.  They're quick off the line and handle like slot cars, and don't even get me started on their interiors.  Now, are those cars capable performers or am I just bored of what I drive?  The cars in my 'sig have torque and this and that and the other thing, but those little rental machines surprised the hell out of me.  I'm guessing their final drive gearing must be like, 5.23 or something because those things could snap my neck off the line.

Damn maybe I'm just getting old.

What's your guys' take?

Ghoste

The gearing helps but it is also worth remembering that they are pretty light cars and that the smaller displacement engines usually can rev up into their powerband much quicker.  Take one to the dragstrip and you'll soon enough see if they have the same power to weight ratio as some of your other rides.

Silver R/T

cars are like girlfriends, each one has her "special" way so you're excited to move onto the next one lol
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

68charger383

Sounds like your trying to talk yourself into buying car #5,

I'd say go for it!
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

myk

I.......have been looking at the '05/06 GTO's.... :eek2:

Mike DC

Those things are the combination of a lightweight car + lightweight rotating assembly in the motor.

Charger_Croatia

We had Mazda 6 DITD (2 liter common rail diesel 140 HP, but a lot of torque) as a company car. You would be surprised how fast it can be, especially on open roads. No need to downshifting, just step on throttle and torque will do the rest. I remember one of my trips when I made funny brand new E-class (petrol engine, no marks) on highway. This thing was capable of almost 130 mph with no struggle.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

myk

Yeah that '6 was impressive.  Ah well, not like I'll ever get one but it's still remarkable...

Cooter

Personally, I have and DO drive most newer cars including, but not limited to the ones you describe...While they are fun, and you don't have to "Worry" bout it like you do your musclecar (IE: Overheating, fear of gettin' hit, etc) and you can just "Have fun"...The definaition of "Having fun" in an older musclecar is a different one altogether...This definition has to do with a primative, raw, unsilenced, power of an older car that gives to the "Unrelaxed" "Fear" of needing to be on you P's and Q's when driving the car hard..Instead, when driving a newer car with all it's safety crap, traction control and computer controlled throttle gives one a false sense of security...The car does the thinking for the dumbass so to speak...

There's just something raw and untamed about driving an older car with a huge engine that boarderlines, sometimes crosses the line on crazily over powered and into dangerous territory...This to me, is something that the newer cars with all that "Think for the dumbass" tech, on it can't compete with...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

:2thumbs:  Yep, don't need a built in GPS to tell me the car is going sideways on the road and an electronic stability to take the throttle out of it when that happens.  :D

Mike DC

If I won the lottery I'd be trying to put together a 69 Charger out of mostly alumimum panels & drivetrain castings.   

The entire pro-touring/G-machine thing basically amounts to trying to make our 4000-lb cars act like they weigh 2500 lbs.  IMHO we'd be better off just yanking more of the excess weight off the cars in the first place.