News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some help with an MSD Ignition problem

Started by gasoline_24, November 30, 2009, 11:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasoline_24

Here is the diagram I have prepared showing how I hooked up my MSD.  The red wire on the ballast resistor represents the solid wire I replaced the resistor with so it still retains its stock appearance while still functioning.

I am also running a tach adapter.  

I have hooked all of this up and when I initially fired the car it was pretty difficult to start.  I thought that this was just the Proform carb in the cold.  However, after a while I determined that the box would only fire a couple of times after the key was turned off.  If you stopped starting and did not turn the key off and tried to turn it over again there would be no spark.  During this time the MSD box was making a buzzing sound.  I contacted MSD and they said that this sound was normal.

I was also seeing the tach bounce around from 0 to pegged while attempting to start.  

I decided to go ahead and buy another 6al and see if was just a faulty box.  I installed the new box and everything seemed to be running great.  I drove it around for about an hour a few days later and when slowing down for a stop sign it just died.   :brickwall:  I checked for power at the 6al and there was no power to the small red trigger wire.  I was able to jump it from the main power wire to get it home.  

I have installed this  box in the trunk to keep it hidden and preserve the original appearance.  I was at a loss so I rewired the entire system from front to rear.  This was a huge pain.   :brickwall: :brickwall:  After getting it all rewired I tried to turn it over and again the tach was bouncing and there was only spark briefly after starting from the off position and no spark when starting from the run position.

I disconnected the tach adaptor and everything worked fine.  I had grounded this box to the body and was under the impression that it was just a bad ground.  After wiring it twice and two boxes it was running on its own again.  

Again a couple of days later after driving for about 30 - 60 min it died when stopping for a stop light.  I atteempted the MSD check to see if there was spark by shorting the green and purple wire and there was spark.  I also tried to adjust the air gap and it started right up and I was able to drive it home.  I then decided to replace the pick up.  I did this and didn't use a brass feeler gauge so I bought a second pick up and a new reluctor to avoid any issues there may be because of the metal feeler gauage.  I then reinstalled it  and reset the air gap and timing and I was back up and running.  I drove it numerous times over a few days with no problems.  Saturday I went out to start it and nothing.  Does anyone have any idea what I should try next?

:think: :think: :shortbus: :smilie_help: :ahum:

Rolling_Thunder

when I have run MSD boxes in the past i usually get rid of the ballast resistor all together -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

gasoline_24

The first time I wired it I did take the ballast resistor out of the picture.  However it did not work and after reading all of the threads on here I decided just to put a piece of 10 gauge wire behind it in place of the resistor.

b5blue

It could have something to do with the long runs to the trunk and the size of the wire?  :scratchchin:

gasoline_24

I upsized all the wires per the instructions.  MSD states that it needs to be 16 gauge if you add on to the wiring.  I am going to send the same message to MSD as well and see if they can help.

b5blue

I'm interested in this as I've been thinking about the upgrade away from the old ECU.

gasoline_24

I have been going over this thing forever and cannot figure it out.  If I pull the distributor and turn it manually it will not spark at slow speed, but if I spin it fast it will spark although not on every point of the reluctor.  If the pick up coil and reluctor touch at anytime during install what does this do and why?  I have hooked up the distributor with leads right off of the box in the trunk and it does the same thing so I am fairly confident it is not the wires, but something with this great MP distributor.  Can anyone PLEASE help me with this I am about ready to pull my hair out on this.   :RantExplode: :brickwall: